Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians Victims of Racist Attacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭netron

sceptre wrote: »
    I once watched BBC News 24 refer to the "mythical river Ganges" every hour for eight hours before I snapped and reminded them by email that they were mystically showing video footage of the myth every time. You may be ascribing to malice that which can be explained by stupidity but the long discussion on that probably belongs in the News/Media forum. In any event, concluding that there must be an agenda isn't a definite conclusion when there's an alternative (the guy who writes the news and doesn't know the difference between Roma, Romanian and Romanii or where these descriptions have intersections). Malice and stupidity rarely intersect, even if their results can be similar.

can you kindly speak in plain english and tell me what you really think.

nesf wrote: »
    The hard left and the hard right thrive, though only rarely do either actually replace the mainstream. They usually just get enough protest votes for the national equivalent of a few MEPs, Councillors and perhaps a TD. It depends of course on how deep and long the lull is of course.

i'm VERY confused by this - the bbc is simply NOT reporting on what i've read about them - that they were thieving and begging and that pissed off the locals.

so is the bbc actually lying about this?

i also note that Martin McGuiness is popping up a lot in the BBC reports to give his "anti racism" soundbite.

but no reporter in the BBC ever asks Mr McGuiness - who allowed the Roma into Belfast? Did HE allow it , knowing full well the social conflict that would result? Could this be an SF power play to tar the Unionists as a bunch of racists?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

nesf wrote: »
    The hard left and the hard right thrive, though only rarely do either actually replace the mainstream. They usually just get enough protest votes for the national equivalent of a few MEPs, Councillors and perhaps a TD. It depends of course on how deep and long the lull is of course.

What I have seen happen more often is the soft adaptation of the policies that brings these fringes success.

There really is no need for BNP style politics for example, if immigration is managed and enjoys public support, which for example, is one of the reasons we had a citizenship referendum in this country that enjoyed landslide support.

In effect, the mainstream steals their clothes and they simply disappear.

On topic, IMO, there is also an issue with unregulated/illegal immigration in N.I.

This again, has been largely ignored. This is the classic vacuum the BNP and racists thrive in. What is worrying is just how many people love maintaining and building that vacuum whilst claiming to desire the opposite effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

opo wrote: »
    I never justified the attacks. Don't dare suggest I did.

You've been attempting to justify them by implication and sly mud slinging. When asked for a source for these attempts, you've come up with nothing.

Why?
    netron wrote:
    what i've read about them - that they were thieving and begging and that pissed off the locals.

Might you have a link to the place you read that...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

Nodin wrote: »
    You've been attempting to justify them by implication and sly mud slinging. When asked for a source for these attempts, you've come up with nothing.
    ...?

I DID NOT JUSTIFY THESE ATTACKS. I AM GOING TO REPEAT MYSELF. I DID NOT JUSTIFY THESE ATTACKS.

Were you ever burned out of your home In Belfast as his family were? Isn't he a victim too or does he have to prove that to you as well? Why is he the "nut" whilst your a voice of sanity?

Yes. Yes I was. And because I say it on the internet, it's a fact.

Incidentally I am a Loyalist, from Belfast, and my parents were Romanians. I therefore think that means my opinion is the only correct one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "I'm not condoning these attacks, but..."

:)

Im not condoning them. I have no problem in admitting that yes, I am glad that any of these people who had not contributed tax to the economy or had been commiting crimes are going home. The government should have removed them before the criminals did.

Now, I will ask you for a third time:

if you see a group of Roma gypsy women standing by an ATM, do you feel the exact same as if you saw a group of old white haired women in terms of wanting to use said ATM?
    Would you be more suspicious seeing a Roma talking to an old man at his door than you would be of a regular middle aged woman?
    Finally: would you bother answering these questions honestly? It is clear as glass you, djpbarry and all the other usual suspects are as wary of this lot as the rest of us, why be a keyboard warrior?

An answer would be good, seeing as you previously told someone else
    You're falling back on arm-waving to avoid answering a perfectly straightforward question

It is quite obvious Oscar that by refusing twice to answer the above you do not like the oul gypsies. But sure we cant be admitting that can we :rolleyes:

djpbarry wrote: »
    Child benefit comes to a whopping €38 per week – would you relocate to Ireland for that, considering how expensive it is to feed and clothe said child in this country?
    I]

Pathetic.
    I know a single mother who only ever worked in a chip shop at weekends before becoming pregnant at 18. Sold the sob story- my mams house is overcrowded, I need to live near for support, my man is gone. Bang. She currently lives in a 3 bed house in a public pvt partnership estate a stones throw away from her mothers old place with a live in boyfriend on the quiet (not the kids father). If you are telling me you believe that a single mother in this country will get no more than 38 euro per week if she has not made substantial PRSI contributions you are lying through your teeth.

I DID NOT JUSTIFY THESE ATTACKS. I AM GOING TO REPEAT MYSELF. I DID NOT JUSTIFY THESE ATTACKS.

Really? And whats the thrust of the following three remarks of yours....?
    Would it upset you if a paeodophile was run out of an area with kids?
    There is a difference between a family living in a house that are working and contributing to society and several families piled into a house, contributing nothing but a nuisance to society.
    I am trying to establish the basics:

How many Roma were there to a home on the street?
    What were they doing to support themselves?
    How integrated were they?
    Why were they there?

Etc.

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    :)if you see a group of Roma gypsy women standing by an ATM, do you feel the exact same as if you saw a group of old white haired women in terms of wanting to use said ATM?
    Would you be more suspicious seeing a Roma talking to an old man at his door than you would be of a regular middle aged woman?
    Finally: would you bother answering these questions honestly? It is clear as glass you, djpbarry and all the other usual suspects are as wary of this lot as the rest of us, why be a keyboard warrior?

So we are only allowed to answer in one way? How bizarre. It seems like you have come up with the internet equivalent of holding your hands to your ears and shouting 'la la la la la la la' when you are not interested in a certain answer.

I wouldn't care if a Romanian or Irish person ewanted to use the ATM, or if an Irish person or Romanian were outside a door (???). Frankly I would be concerned about anyone who noticed these things.

I note your single mother in a chip shop story. I know a Romanian who is an absolute gentleman. Is it 1 all in the anecdote front then?

• Advertisement

Really? And whats the thrust of the following three remarks of yours....?

Oh get over it. He came out and said he doesnt want unemployed Roma living in Ireland. Do you? Of course not, why not admit it?

Neither does Oscar seemingly by his constant avoiding of my questions, but you dont get all on a high horse to him about it. Again, I dont condone children being terrified out of their homes, but neither do I condone the lifestyle parents in this community generally lead.

Oh get over it. He came out and said he doesnt want unemployed Roma living in Ireland.

Has anyone even ascertained they were unemployed?

Has anyone even ascertained they were unemployed?

Given their unemployment rates in E Europe, until you can prove the majority had regular jobs then the onus is on you to disprove that they were unemployed.

Given their unemployment rates in E Europe, until you can prove the majority had regular jobs then the onus is on you to disprove that they were unemployed.

Yes.

That's the right attitude.

Given the crime rates in Tallaght, one should presume every Dublin person is a crook.

Given the rates of beer sales in Ireland, one should presume every Irishman is a drunk.

And so on and so forth...

Yes.

That's the right attitude.

Given the crime rates in Tallaght, one should presume every Dublin person is a crook.

Given the rates of beer sales in Ireland, one should presume every Irishman is a drunk.

And so on and so forth...

Nearly 100% of Slovak gypsies are unemployed. If 100% of the population of Tallaght secured a conviction in the past year it woiuld be a fair assumption that yes, they are mostly crooked.

Grow up and stop digging ffs.

Nearly 100% of Slovak gypsies are unemployed. If 100% of the population of Tallaght secured a conviction in the past year it woiuld be a fair assumption that yes, they are mostly crooked.

Nope, can't make it out, you're slurring too much!

Gotta love the drunken fighting Irish and our funny logic. Shouldn't we all be out at some dole scam rather than pointing the finger at other people?

Nope, can't make it out, you're slurring too much!

lalalalala :) Congratulations, you are now officially trolling having run out of logic.
    Gotta love the drunken fighting Irish and our funny logic. Shouldn't we all be out at some dole scam rather than pointing the finger at other people?

Irish young people generally are drunks. Many are rowdy when drunk. What is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Excession

Romania joined the EU under more restrictive rules than most of Eastern Europe. Citizens are free to travel here and to the UK but they can only take up employment if the employer applies for a work permit. Given the vast pool of labour available who do not need a permit to work I reckon its unlikely that any of these people were sponsored to come to Belfast for work.

They can register to be self-employed however and thats why you mostly see them busking or selling the Big Issues.

lalalalala :) Congratulations, you are now officially trolling having run out of logic.

Why don't we let the mods moderate?
    Irish young people generally are drunks. Many are rowdy when drunk. What is your point?

And on the basis of your earlier logic, where stereotypes can be used to characterise individuals, would you have no difficulty if you were labelled a drunk and people started getting nervous any time you hung around an ATM machine or spoke to an old person?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

netron wrote: »
    A 1000 times less trust worthy than the likes of the BBC who have insisted on using the word "Romanian" in all of their tv news reports?

You've got to be kidding - mainstream media has agendas to push as much as any blogger.

The BBC has a outside auditor come in and take a look at whether there coverage is balanced or not. So for all there faults, they are a 1000 times more thrust worthy than a random blogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Now, I will ask you for a third time:

if you see a group of Roma gypsy women standing by an ATM, do you feel the exact same as if you saw a group of old white haired women in terms of wanting to use said ATM?

An answer would be good, seeing as you previously told someone else

The reason people aren't answering your question, is that the completey irrelevant to the discsussion. You may as well ask about the tea prices in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Have been reading the posts re.subject.It has certainly generated a lot of discussion and heated debate.I've no "beef" with th Romanian presence in Ireland but one cold and damp day in Limerick last March,I saw an a male adult Romanian successfully insist that a tearful and pleading child remain squatted on on a coat on a William St. footpath.Which she did.Begging in public,I believe,is illegal but the action of that adult is not just a serious breach of human rights, it is enslavement and morally reprehensible to boot. I'm sure that this was not an isolated incident or peculiar to a particular group in Ireland and it is certain the abuse of children is not confined to non nationals.And, no doubt, most people regardless of racial origin love and look after the children in their care.However,I do feel some guilt and regret that I did not, at least,report the public bullying and exploitation of a defenceless child to the Gardai.

one cold and damp day in Limerick last March,I saw an a male adult Romanian successfully insist that a tearful and pleading child remain squatted on on a coat on a William St. footpath.Which she did.Begging in public,I believe,is illegal but the action of that adult is not just a serious breach of human rights, it is enslavement and morally reprehensible to boot.

That must be the first crime ever in that city. Or if not the first, surely the most serious. And you were exposed to all this on the street?

By the way, on an aside, how did you know the person was specifically Romanian? You speak the lingo and knew he wasn't, for example, Bulgarian or Moldovan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have been reading the posts re.subject.It has certainly generated a lot of discussion and heated debate.I've no "beef" with th Romanian presence in Ireland but one cold and damp day in Limerick last March,I saw an a male adult Romanian successfully insist that a tearful and pleading child remain squatted on on a coat on a William St. footpath.Which she did.Begging in public,I believe,is illegal but the action of that adult is not just a serious breach of human rights, it is enslavement and morally reprehensible to boot. I'm sure that this was not an isolated incident or peculiar to a particular group in Ireland and it is certain the abuse of children is not confined to non nationals.And, no doubt, most people regardless of racial origin love and look after the children in their care.However,I do feel some guilt and regret that I did not, at least,report the public bullying and exploitation of a defenceless child to the Gardai.

I can understand your feeling of guilt. I am sure that many of us have witnessed things that we should have done something about but not really got our thinking properly in gear until afterwards. I know that I have.

But, like Conor74, I wonder if the people were Romanian. And if they were Romanian, were they also Roma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

does it matter if they were roma?

they are human - it doesnt even matter what country they are from, nevermind their ethnic group

the people who did this are scumbags - there is no defending it

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Excession wrote: »
    Romania joined the EU under more restrictive rules than most of Eastern Europe. Citizens are free to travel here and to the UK but they can only take up employment if the employer applies for a work permit. Given the vast pool of labour available who do not need a permit to work I reckon its unlikely that any of these people were sponsored to come to Belfast for work.

They can register to be self-employed however and thats why you mostly see them busking or selling the Big Issues.

well I agree with you, these people are Gypsies.they travel wherever they can and steal or beg for money on the streets, or go to charity shops in groups and take labels off and walk away saying they came wearing these clothes. I saw it few times here. We had them in Poland years back, they were sleeping in self made sheds next to main river in capital city. Eventually people found out they drive good cars and they dont collect money for food. Also when you gave them food they would throw it away in front of you. Poland goverment sent them back to Romania.
    Not all Romanians are like this, people need to be aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

First of all if they want to come to ireland they should learn English.

Secondly they should have some sort of decent education. Up to their version of the leaving cert at the least or/and they should have a job lined up.

ani_mal wrote: »
    We had them in Poland years back, they were sleeping in self made sheds next to main river in capital city. Eventually people found out they drive good cars and they dont collect money for food.

Jaysus, that's shocking. Sleeping in sheds? That will be the ruination of this country. And to think we get so excited by minor things like the sexual abuse of tens of thousands of Irish children by Irish adults, when we should be looking out for shed sleepers. Millions being spent investigating gangland crime carried out by Irish thugs, and Romanians are out walking the streets, or worse still messing with the labels on clothes in charity shops? I am appalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

These people have chosen to live this way. I know there are some gypsies living in Poland, working and socilaizing with society ok. they are not a hassle or pain in the Arse for Goverment.

But people like the ones from Belfast, chosen to lead life like this. When you near them, you better watch out for your wallet :). sometimes they offer you some kind of hand future reading. Do not go for that. They work in organised groups, they watch where you keep money and in the less expecting moment you are left with no wallet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

does it matter if they were roma?

they are human - it doesnt even matter what country they are from, nevermind their ethnic group

the people who did this are scumbags - there is no defending it

Most Romanians are not Roma, and many (I suspect most) Roma are not Romanians.

I have already said in this thread that I believe people should be considered as individuals, not by ethnicity. The man observed by bernardo_mac should be judged on his actions, not on his ethnic group. But I am sufficiently realistic to know that the world does not work that way (and if I had been a starry-eyed optimist, some of the posts in this thread would have cured me of that). All I am aiming at here is to try to save non-Roma Romanians from being tarred with the same brush that is so liberally applied to the Roma people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement