Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians Victims of Racist Attacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Instead of ranting and raving about Loyalists, Republicans or whatever, why don't people approach their local Town, City, Borough, County Council and see what accommodation can be found for the victims of the attacks in their own local area. With the slump in property sales, I'm sure their must be plenty of suitable places to house them. Don't forget to run it past your Residents Association first though, just to keep them in the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

While I am in no way condoning this, I saw the BBC report. Romanians in the UK afaik need to go through a work permit scheme.

If I may throw the cat amongst the pigeons, and lets leave all the PC bits and pieces at the door PLEASE, these Romanians were Roma. Lets be honest, we have seen alot more making money on the street than we do in workplaces. Are they all working, on work permits? If not, why are they in Belfast and who is paying for the homes they lived in?

Again, not condoning, but it does remind me of the case of the gypsy girl shot dead in HSE accomadation in Dublin, which begged the question of why exactly she was living in a HSE building. It is questions like this that the mainstream parties refuse to tackle/ completely ignore that gets fcukheads like the BNP into office. If the UK/ Ireland is giving jobless new EU citizens with no intention of working financial assistance in a time of recession it is a scandal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

bmaxi wrote: »
    Instead of ranting and raving about Loyalists, Republicans or whatever, why don't people approach their local Town, City, Borough, County Council and see what accommodation can be found for the victims of the attacks in their own local area. With the slump in property sales, I'm sure their must be plenty of suitable places to house them. Don't forget to run it past your Residents Association first though, just to keep them in the picture.

Still think the attitudes towards foreign nationals coming in and the scaremongering that goes on needs to be addressed. I've heard all sorts of mud being thrown against these people. My wife called me this morning who works in a housing association, she was telling me that other work collegues are saying the Romanian people are only doing this to get as much media coverage to get better housing! They've been called beggars, criminals, accused of stealing houses even though they've rented the houses of landlords.

Feckin' stinks some of the attitudes.

Tha Gopher wrote: »

If I may throw the cat amongst the pigeons, and lets leave all the PC bits and pieces at the door PLEASE, these Romanians were Roma. Lets be honest, we have seen alot more making money on the street than we do in workplaces. Are they all working, on work permits? If not, why are they in Belfast and who is paying for the homes they lived in?

Why does it matter if they are working? They can live wherever the hell they want as far as im concerned.
    You say you're not condoning it but why use work permits and and say" who's paying for the homes they live in?" as a way of nocking them down a peg.
    All that does not matter tbh, they live there regardless and should not be singled out for racist attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the romanians in question are not classed as eu workers,this is a dark area they have to make a living the best they can,it is the countries responsibility[ie northern ireland] to look after them,one question that is never asked, is that how these poor people get over here in the first place ?.part of the answer that many of them belong to gangmasters,who brings them over and makes his cut from their earnings from begging ect,two years ago i was in Bray talking to a local police officer,across the road was a youngish roma girl begging,when i remarked on the amount of beggers that i now see on the streets in ireland, he said there is a romanian man [with a gold tooth ?] who drives them into the town every morning and picks them up at night.

• Advertisement

getz wrote: »
    the romanians in question are not classed as eu workers,this is a dark area they have to make a living the best they can,it is the countries responsibility[ie northern ireland] to look after them,one question that is never asked, is that how these poor people get over here in the first place ?.part of the answer that many of them belong to gangmasters,who brings them over and makes his cut from their earnings from begging ect,two years ago i was in Bray talking to a local police officer,across the road was a youngish roma girl begging,when i remarked on the amount of beggers that i now see on the streets in ireland, he said there is a romanian man [with a gold tooth ?] who drives them into the town every morning and picks them up at night.
    What has that got to do with the topic in question?
    Stay on topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    Why were there not community meetings to intergrate these people better, to ease tensions, to talk to the unionist people and to address any fears they may have with foreign nationals coming into the area.
    You think someone who is prepared to attack a house because the occupants look different to them is going to be shown the error of their ways by a ‘community meeting’?

While I am in no way condoning this…
    You’re doing a pretty good job of condoning it.
    Again, not condoning, but it does remind me of the case of the gypsy girl shot dead in HSE accomadation in Dublin, which begged the question of why exactly she was living in a HSE building.
    She was squatting. This was pointed out to you on a previous thread but you obviously ignored it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Disgraceful for these people to have to put up with such hate and abuse. I hope they catch the culprits and sent them to jail. Its completely unacceptable in any modern society. The political leaders and police should be doing a lot more to try and allievate the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

djpbarry wrote: »
    You think someone who is prepared to attack a house because the occupants look different to them is going to be shown the error of their ways by a ‘community meeting’?

Sorry but i dont think these people were singled out because they 'look different'. If that were the case, why havent any chinese, indian, or black people been run out of Northern Ireland?
    The reason they were run out is because they are Roma. Plain and simple. And whether people like to admit it or not, roma arent exactly a desirable element to any society (Neither are racist thugs). There are 2 or 3 roma families living on my road, and being as straightforward as possible, i wish they werent. Im not going to go spraying swastikas on their houses and bricking their windows, but seeing gangs of them hanging around all night, having had my sisters boyfriend have to stop roma children from stealing shopping from an old lady on our road, and seeing the state theyve let thier houses get into i can see why this would happen. and this is with about 30 people in total. I cant imagine what 120 would be like if they carried on the way these ones do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 dracula's son

as a Romanian a have s different view about this one, because I've seen many of them in more than one European country and I can see a pattern here. The group of 100 Romanians were gypsies, and yes they have written Romania on their passports, so legally are Romanians, but as many of you may know already they represent 2% of the Romanian population and are they belong to a different race. Same kind of attacks were reported in Italy, Spain, France and Germany and obviously in Romania when ordinary people they said what is enough is enough and ban them from estate/town/country.
    What the gypsies have in common is they have the same behavior everywhere they go, and sooner or later they get back what they ask for. So guys is not about loyalism nor Nazis, is about gypsies being victims time and again. This is what they do for living instead of working like normal people.
    The most effective way to get rid of them is to put them to work, they will vanish in no time.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Sorry but i dont think these people were singled out because they 'look different'. If that were the case, why havent any chinese, indian, or black people been run out of Northern Ireland?
    If you're trying to imply that other nationalities have never been the victims of attacks in Northern Ireland, then you'd be wrong:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/3390249.stm
    There are 2 or 3 roma families living on my road, and being as straightforward as possible, i wish they werent. Im not going to go spraying swastikas on their houses and bricking their windows, but seeing gangs of them hanging around all night, having had my sisters boyfriend have to stop roma children from stealing shopping from an old lady on our road, and seeing the state theyve let thier houses get into i can see why this would happen.
    Do you have any evidence that suggests that the victims of this particular incident were behaving in a similar manner? Because it seems to me that their neighbours have been rather supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've not really been following it all in detail, but I was under the impression that members of those other ethnic groups, esp. the Chinese, had suffered the same kind of mindless attacks as the Romanians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The reason they were run out is because they are Roma. Plain and simple. And whether people like to admit it or not, roma arent exactly a desirable element to any society (Neither are racist thugs). There are 2 or 3 roma families living on my road, and being as straightforward as possible, i wish they werent. Im not going to go spraying swastikas on their houses and bricking their windows, but seeing gangs of them hanging around all night, having had my sisters boyfriend have to stop roma children from stealing shopping from an old lady on our road, and seeing the state theyve let thier houses get into i can see why this would happen. and this is with about 30 people in total. I cant imagine what 120 would be like if they carried on the way these ones do.

Aren't Roma and Romanians totally different? I remember interviews on RTE Radio with Romanians and it seemed to frustrate them something awful being 'grouped' with Roma.

Roma are descriminated against as much in Romania as they are elsewhere in Europe, as far as I can tell.

So what do you suggest, do nothing? My point is that this has been brewing for some time now. Is it not better to try educate and inform people in these estates that these people mean no harm. Jackie McDonald has talked about BNP moving in on some young loyalists in these areas.

Alun wrote: »
    I've not really been following it all in detail, but I was under the impression that members of those other ethnic groups, esp. the Chinese, had suffered the same kind of mindless attacks as the Romanians.

Correct. The Chinese community has come under attack from loyalists. Has have other thnic minorities. This is pretty commonly known in Belfast.

I was reading today that the BNP was trying to orgainse a rally in Sandy Row this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Amalgam wrote: »
    Aren't Roma and Romanians totally different? I remember interviews on RTE Radio with Romanians and it seemed to frustrate them something awful being 'grouped' with Roma.

Roma originate from medieval India.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It is insane and apart from just making it up, what evidence would you put forward to support your thoughts?

Mainly because there are virtually zero reports of racism in the republican communities. Yet there are in virtually every other community in the western world.

Perhaps the way I phrased it a bit wrong and too light-hearted. I'm not suggesting republican communities go out of their way, but I do think that because of racism problems in loyalist communities and the historical links between loyalist groups and openly racist groups, racism would be much more frowned upon/clamped down on in republican circles. It's not a bad end result its just a funny means to an end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

While I am in no way condoning this, I saw the BBC report. Romanians in the UK afaik need to go through a work permit scheme.

Again, not condoning, but it does remind me of the case of the gypsy girl shot dead in HSE accomadation in Dublin, which begged the question of why exactly she was living in a HSE building. It is questions like this that the mainstream parties refuse to tackle/ completely ignore that gets fcukheads like the BNP into office. If the UK/ Ireland is giving jobless new EU citizens with no intention of working financial assistance in a time of recession it is a scandal tbh.
    I have to agree, all this PC tripe and liberal ideals sometimes cause me a headache unfortunately.

I'm not going to lie though, I have absolutely zero sympathy for Roma gypsies. This stands for either what has happened them recently or what may happen them in the future.

I'm friends with a few Romanians who absolutely loathe the Romas and the name they give Romania and like the Romanian poster above has said, have had enough of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

junder wrote: »
    Racism and sectariainism is indemic across northern ireland in both community and in the RoI.

Racism is not endemic in the ROI. The ROI has a relatively high number of politicians from ethnic minorities elected my overwhelmingly white constituencies. That's the acid test of acceptance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

netron wrote: »
    "Clearly irritated at being turned away, Mr McDonald nevertheless said he utterly condemned the targeting of the families. He added that work was going on within the community to ensure that those involved stop."

“We’re trying to talk to young people to encourage them not to do what they are doing,” he said.

Sounds like a Sinn Fein apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

Hagar wrote: »
    and physical violence directed at families with young children.

indeed - as sickening as when the threw piss at kids going to schools years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I lived and voted in South Belfast for about two years. There is an element of knacker there that is very violent. They are loyalist there would be no question about it. Their actions would not be sanctioned by any loyalist body but the attackers are loyalist. If you identify the attackers it would be easy enough to pick them up on the 12th Marching in full blues.

But the important element is them being knackers not them following loyalism because everyone in their area does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Rb wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie though, I have absolutely zero sympathy for Roma gypsies. This stands for either what has happened them recently or what may happen them in the future.

I would also have to second this , not something I am proud of but I never liked dealing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

I for one believe that irish people have too much repect for these gypies. Lets look at then, these class of people have caused controvesy, remember summer 2007 camping near the m50 on a roundabout http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gypsies-reject-flights-home-1039916.html)

Everday i see then selling big issue, roses and claming social welfare these class of people should be given a one way ticket out of the country Peoples tolerance up in the north have given way and i recon people in the rest of country will follow suit shortly.

Can'tseeme wrote: »
    So what do you suggest, do nothing?
    I suggest that the perpetrators of these crimes be punished to the fullest extent of the law and people stop tarring entire communities based on the actions of a few mindless idiots.

Rb wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie though, I have absolutely zero sympathy for Roma gypsies.
    johnnyc wrote: »
    I for one believe that irish people have too much repect for these gypies.
    Somewhat ironic that so many posters on this thread are pointing the finger at loyalists up North when, evidently, this country is not exactly teeming with racial tolerance.

The ROI has a relatively high number of politicians from ethnic minorities elected my overwhelmingly white constituencies.
    That’s news to me.
    Everday i see then selling big issue, roses and claming social welfare
    You see them claiming social welfare? Do you work in a welfare office?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Somewhat ironic that so many posters on this thread are pointing the finger at loyalists up North when, evidently, this country is not exactly teeming with racial tolerance.

I would be more concerned about the hypocrisy of posters with their faux pas indignation about the plight of a community know for criminal activity which is evident in any large town or city in Ireland. rather than be "seen" as a racial tolerant and cool person.

I know for a fact that if some of those people were housed next door to those posters, a different view would be held and anybody who says differently is lying. It’s easy to be racial tolerant when someone else has to put up with their behaviour, a bit like the travellers sure they should be housed and treated well just not in my town, typical Irish mentality.

• Advertisement

I for one believe that irish people have too much repect for these gypies. Lets look at then, these class of people have caused controvesy, remember summer 2007 camping near the m50 on a roundabout http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gypsies-reject-flights-home-1039916.html)

Everday i see then selling big issue, roses and claming social welfare these class of people should be given a one way ticket out of the country Peoples tolerance up in the north have given way and i recon people in the rest of country will follow suit shortly.

Selling roses and the big issue, eh? Shocking stuff, how dare they:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement