Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Megane, Astra or 307

• 17-06-2009 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm a noob on here so just wanted to get the ball rolling for myself. I'm a 23 year old male but only getting round to getting the test now and getting a my first car. Slow starter I know! At the moment I am stuck between the three cars listed above.

The Megane with the sticky out ass
    One of the newer astras. Around 04/05 models.
    And the 307.

How do you guys rate these yokes and what would you choose if you were in my shoes? Id prefer the 5 door model because I'm a lanky hoor and don't want the hassle of always jumping out to let some one in the back lol.

Thanks for any help as its all greatly appreciated.

All the best.
    JH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

If it was me, I won't go near any of them. I know a few people who had the 307, back in more time on recalls. Some electrical issues as well. The megane is also suggested to give eletrical issues. As for the Astra, would be the better of the 3, but I think there are some issues with Timing belt snapping if not done on time, someone here will confirm or deny this.

Presumeing your looking at a 1.4, all these will be underpowered, as most cars in this segment Golf, Focus, maybe the Corolla.

Look at getting a smaller car with a 1.4 engine, say a Fiesta, or something like a Golf or Focus in a 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

If it was me, I won't go near any of them. I know a few people who had the 307, back in more time on recalls. Some electrical issues as well. The megane is also suggested to give eletrical issues. As for the Astra, would be the better of the 3, but I think there are some issues with Timing belt snapping if not done on time, someone here will confirm or deny this.

Presumeing your looking at a 1.4, all these will be underpowered, as most cars in this segment Golf, Focus, maybe the Corolla.

Look at getting a smaller car with a 1.4 engine, say a Fiesta, or something like a Golf or Focus in a 1.6.

Cheers Mondeo.
    I wouldn't mind having a look at a focus. I have heard about the issues with the 307 so I was tending to lean towards the astra or megane. Thanks for the help sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I have a 2005 megane hatch and in 4 years it's had to go back to get a motor repaired in the drivers electric window after it failed. Apart from that, there has been no other issue with it. Its economical to run, good handling, performance is not spectacular but can hold its own (1.4 litre engine) and above all, it is reliable.

There are a lot of Renault bashers on this forum who wouldn't touch a renault with a bargepole. Speaking for myself, I've now owned 12 cars, 9 of which were renaults, none of which gave me any (and I mean any) serious trouble that you wouldn't get in another make of car. In fact most of the renaults were completely problem free. Of the other 3 makes of cars I've owned (Toyota, Fiat & Opel), they caused me no end of grief, especially the Toyota (best built cars in the world my ar$e) and I spent more money getting them fixed than all the renaults combined.

The look of the megane hatch is an acquired taste and a lot of people would be too conservative to buy a car that stands out from the crowd like this car does (if you remember the whole "shake the ass" thing from the tv ad). However, if you can find it, try to check Top Gear's review of this car from about 5 years ago when they said the only car that they'd consider buying ahead of the Megane hatch was a focus but they's had to think long and hard about that as the renault had a lot more style than the bland focus. They also did a crash test when they drove a Megane into a stationary car, after which the driver got out, finished his commentary and walked away unscathed (it has a 5 star euro NCAP rating like all renaults). Now if the petrol heads on Top Gear recommend a Megane, then I wouldn't rule it out in favour of some other bland hatchback.

As for the Peugeot 307, my brother has one and it had to have its gearbox replaced after 10,000 miles. A neighbour of ours had the estate version and the same problem occured after 20,000 miles.

I don't have any experience of the Astra so can't comment on that - but the 3 door hatch is a nice looking car but no use to me with a gaggle of kids to load and unload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Definitely the Astra for me. Once you keep her serviced she'll run forever. Also, when the time comes, you'll never be able to resell a Megane or a 307. Just look at how many of them are listed on carzone. No one I know trusts the electrics in second hand French cars. Astra all the way OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Out of those 3 definitely the Astra. Get a club spec at a minimum. SXi or design are best. If you can, try get a diesel. A friend of mine has the 1.3 cdti astra and while there's a lot of turbo lag when it gets going it flies for what it is. 60 to the gallon too.

Resale on any of them isn't great, but these days nothings holding its value. I'd also look at a Focus, Civic, Leon or Golf - all with a 1.6 minimum. Cars are heavy these days and a 1.4 often isn't enough

• Advertisement

Thanks a million for the information there lads. A boy from had a Megane for a right while and never had any bother with her. Another few lads have Astras so it could be a coin toss between the two.
    I doubt the 307 idea is away floating down the river lol.
    Just another quick question. Do you know/think there would be much difference insurance wise. A wee 1.4 would do since its my first car. No point getting a rocket ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Insurance difference would be small, small bit more road tax. Often the 1.6's can be more economical as they dont have to be driven as hard.

Even with it being your first car, when you're experienced you'll probably be glad of the small bit extra power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

+ 1 for Astra.

Cheers EPM. Much appreciated.

Advertisement