Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-handed Mod in Airsoft forum

Options
  • 17-06-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

(self-moved from helpdesk)

This report is an amalgam of stuff that happened today and existing complaints I've been hearing on and off the board about The Master, who's a relatively new mod on Airsoft.

This afternoon, evilrobotshane posted a rather off-colour joke on a thread to do with pictures of Airsoft guns, remarking that he'd seen a particular gun (the Tavor, an israeli gun) in person, and it was sturdy enough to beat up palestinian kids with. An off-colour joke, borderline racist, ill-advised, not nice.

This evening, The Master permabanned evilrobotshane from all Airsoft forums without warning. See this post for his ban message, where he calls the poster a 'tard'. I find this ironic, given the nature of the post the user was banned for. But anyway, this is just a symptom. This is not entirely what this post is about.

To give another example just from today, there were some off-topic posts on 'Airsoft News', which got deleted, and a warning which was extremely strongly worded and essentially said "Be very careful posting on this thread from now on, if you post anything not airsoft news, you're banned". There's always a bit of banter on Airsoft news, and this post basically stomped all over the lively conversation that goes on in that thread. It made the thread (and the forum) just that little bit more hostile to regular members. I'm actually less inclined to start or contribute to threads on the Airsoft forum now, because I honestly don't know if The Master is going to take offence and ban me. The post in question has since been deleted, possibly by another moderator.

Another example of heavy handed "stray off topic and get banned" here

And here is a thread started to wish our young airsofters well in exams, closed for no reason. A completely harmless thread hurting nobody.

I'm also blue in the face hearing people complain about The Master randomly deleting individual posts in a thread, possibly because he thinks they're irrelevant to the discussion, or whatever. This never seemed to happen to any great extent before he was a moderator. These aren't throwaway rubbish posts either. Ive heard a complaint from a single user, who was singled out and had their posts on a thread repeatedly deleted, depriving them of their voice on the forum.

It seems that the pattern appears to be that if a thread is started and diverts in a direction The Master is disinterested in, or feels isn't exactly on topic or about Airsoft at all times, that he'll start deleting posts and locking threads.

Basically, this is not what made the Airsoft forum the centre of Airsoft in Ireland in the first place. It's a meeting point for banter and people to ask questions, congratulate people on achievements, and yes, talk about Airsoft. It goes a bit off-topic for a while, but a mod can occasionally give the nod to get back on track, or lock a thread or boot someone off if it's getting out of hand.

The general consensus (I am by no means alone here) is that The Master goes -far- beyond his remit as moderator. This is not moderation, this is heavy-handed direction of all discussion on the forum, and warning-free and permanent removal for making a mistake.

I have PMed the master and let him know the above. He has made it very clear that he's not budging, and I've told him I'm taking it here.

To be perfectly honest, The Master has caused the very tone of the board to change. He's made people afraid to post about certain subjects, closes and deletes posts on a whim, and I (and many with me) question his suitability as a mod for the Airsoft forum. I felt I had to put a post here, just so there could be some dissent he can answer without suppressing or deleting.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Permabanned for the comment you quoted sounds harsh, however as always im sure there are more factors involved.

...besides..isreali combat is much to cowardly to engage in 1 to 1 fights with kids. They prefer ariel bombings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

It doesnt change the fact that it was a joke in bad taste, yet an extreme kneejerk reaction to permanently ban someone for it. there have been much worse things happend on the forum over the 2 years i have been contributing to it but are sorted with proportionate responces. i have never seen such heavy moderation across th e range of forums I use here.
    As the OP has said, its something that has happened only recently and a lot of the regular contributors are loosing interest based on the almost nazi'esque clamp down on anything that the mod deems remotely off topic.

I would give an example where a poster who i know personally, had been talking about his airsoft kit and mentioned jokingly that he was adding a childs bow and arrow set from his old toy collection he had as a kid to the loadout for a Rambo theme. now this is someone who like myself would contribute quite regularly to the forum yet they were gven a warning and told to take it to the Archary forum. even if the poster had done this he'd be banned from archery for trolling. I think this was another example of something a moderator shouldnt need to get involved with. the thread was still on topic and the rest of the posters comments were relevent to the topic.

We also have an off topic thread were we regularly chat and post random stuff. i posted a pic in this thread (which I must strain, is the off topic thread) and this same moderator took exception to the pic and removed it. this was done for personal reasons as there was nothing offensive or derogatory in the image.
    See the image here, http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3654/3570107472_9190ed82f9_o.jpg

Up until we lost gandalf as a mod i wouldnt have had a bad thing to say about the moderation of the forum, kdouglas, o1s1n, Rew and Gandalf have all been good at what they are supposed to to,

anyway, have to legg it... later people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

To the Admins/C-mods: I have to absolutely agree with gerrowadat here and say it's become a problem. The modding has been heavy-handed to the point of making it hard to know whether you'll get infracted for adding to a conversation of any sort, it's sucking any sense of fun out of the community here, and as a discussion topic for Boards airsofters, the modding issue has almost become a bigger deal than the DOJ legislation proposals.

I'm sure it's all based in the best of intentions, and I know the Airsoft forums needs a sense of control but the amount of post deletion and thread-locking in the last few weeks has been unreal. You'd think people had been threatened or libeled, when all they did was stray the smallest bit from the original thread topic or made a harmless wisecrack (And that's no exaggeration). It needs to be sorted out. The Airsoft forum has it's share of controversy but it's always been sorted out with a bit of reasonable discussion, sometimes the admins have stepped in, but it's always been relatively good-natured, and that's really dissipating now.

Thanks for bringing it here gerrowadat, hopefully we'll get a reasonable outcome through open discussion like we always have.

edit: Yeah, the post referred to was maybe a little off-colour, but we've seen as bad posted and a permaban without warning, followed by insults? Come on, are we so damn PC here now? For what it's worth, while I can't agree with what he said, it was hardly racist, it was tongue-in-cheek and infraction material anywhere else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That joke may have been close to the bone, but a permaban sounds very harsh. Was there a history with that particular poster?

Becoming a mod changes your perspective. Every post must be viewed critically, rather then in passing. But it's as much about learning when to let harmless stuff go, as it it about nipping negative stuff in the bud. Though without knowing the forum I can't really speculate as to whether there's too much of the latter and not enough of the former going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I'm a bit reluctant to post about this, despite feeling pretty much the same as the posters above. I know the Master in "real life", and find him a very decent bloke - I enjoy having the bit of craic with him at the regular airsoft meetups. I also don't believe there's anything malicious in what's been happening lately...I'd think instead that its perhaps a misunderstanding of the airsoft forum in general, and perhaps in the role of the moderator in that forum.

The Airsoft forum isn't like a lot of the other forums on boards.ie.
    I understand there have to be rules, there has to be a charter, and order needs to be maintained. But the subtle difference between Airsoft and most of the other forums on Boards.ie is that 99% of the regular posters meet up with each other in the retail stores and on the skirmish sites on a VERY regular basis - as often every weekend, in many cases.

We've built up probably one of the tightest communities on Boards over the last 2+ years, and thats naturally going to lead to banter and joking which by any definition would be considered off-topic. But thats whats made the forum so active, and such a welcoming point of contact for new airsofters.
    We can discuss the latest airsoft developments, show off our new kit, and bitch about brands/guns/BBs/whatever the hell we want - And still keep the discussion going with a little fun thrown in to the mix.

If the strict discipline which has been instigated over the last few months is maintained, it will seriously damage the camaraderie and overall atmosphere in the forum. In fact, I'd agree with Gerrowadat above and say it already has.

I'm not calling for anyone to step down, or be forcefully removed, or even chastised - instead, perhaps a little reflection on what makes the airsoft.boards.ie the fantastic place it is, and maybe a little bit of lightening up on moderation.

I know Airsoft makes up a tiny part of Boards.ie, but its the users who make a forum - drive them away and they'll find another forum to have fun in, and Boards.ie will be the loser, however small that loss is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually on second thoughts, Feedback may better for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

snyper wrote: »
    Permabanned for the comment you quoted sounds harsh, however as always im sure there are more factors involved.

...besides..isreali combat is much to cowardly to engage in 1 to 1 fights with kids. They prefer ariel bombings.
    erm, with respect, Sod off....

We are the most combat proven army in the world... and we fight every damn day. When i go home, I'll be fighting too... Dont you DARE call us cowards... that comment is almost as bad!

As for the Master... A little harsh, but his moderation technique can't be called anything but constant... He treats everyone quite harshly.... Although as Shiva mentioned, that isnt exactly apropriate for such a community.

Although i was given infractions by him for calling one member 'a msogynistic little prick' after he told me i needed a 'good ****ing' to make me settle down.... As other moderators have said... following rules to the letter sometimes makes for bad moderation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

gerrowadat wrote: »
    This afternoon, evilrobotshane posted a rather off-colour joke on a thread to do with pictures of Airsoft guns, remarking that he'd seen a particular gun (the Tavor, an israeli gun) in person, and it was sturdy enough to beat up palestinian kids with. An off-colour joke, borderline racist, ill-advised, not nice.

I believe the original comment that provoked the response was:
    just the ticket for smashing in some Palestinian kids' heads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Just to let people know;

I spoke to The Master about this via PM last night.

He saw this thread when it was in Helpdesk, but did not have time to reply at the time, so he said he will reply later.

The permaban was reduced, although I haven't checked what to.

Also, I mentioned the other issues and some of the comments I was hearing from the community and he was very willing to listen to it and take advice on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Rew wrote: »
    I believe the original comment that provoked the response was:

TBH, i'd have handed out a fairly harsh ban for that comment as well. Granted I am not a moderator of the main airsoft forum, although if that had been made on the airsoft adverts forum, the poster would have been looking at something severe indeed.

I've played airsoft with many creeds, religions, skin-colours, outlooks, and nationalities from all over the world. One of the things in common is a friendly, accepting community. The introduction of snide and offensive political commentary is neither welcome nor wanted in my opinion and would harm that welcoming and accepting community.

As for the rest of the debate, others have spoken so I do not feel the need to add anything else here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I personally have had a large portion of posts deleted without explanation. A pm was sent to
    all mods with no reply. I was a bit annoyed because id prefer to be told as to why my posts were deleted so i can perhaps adjust them in the future.

In relation to the master i do personally feel he is rather heavy handed. The airsoft forum is a great place for regular,veteran and new players alike to chat about airsoft but most importantly have some banter,something which is at the very core of airsoft and every skirmish.

Regarding to the comment that got the permaban. I know the guy who posted it and he is a sound,nice straight up bloke. I personally lold at the comment because it was funny. Not to everyones taste but a perfect example of the inconsistant moderation. Delete THAT post and pm the poster saying it could be out of taste. A perma ban is a joke in fairness. It seems like lazyness,not to take the extra few minutes to chastise the poster and delete the post. Permaban is a less hassle solution. The same type of attitude is prevelant when lockung threads and deleting post "the effort to pm,ill just delete it"

I was the individual who said in a joking manor yet serious about bringing a toy bow and arrow to a skirmish for a rambo effect. The post was followed with a very sarcy remark as to "how i should take it to the archery forum"

My main gripe is my posts being deleted with no explanation so i can adjust my posting methods. Instead now i post very little. And i think its a sad day when i have to double think or restrain myself from posting in my normal manor.

Im one of the forums clown always around the banter either having jestful digs at folk,or purposefully putting myself out to get a jeer. We mostly all know each other on the field so serious insults are 0-none.

I would have said a quiet word was enough but that clearly hasnt worked when the most prevelant heads on the forum and the field have tried but not succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Dades wrote: »
    That joke may have been close to the bone, but a permaban sounds very harsh. Was there a history with that particular poster?

Becoming a mod changes your perspective. Every post must be viewed critically, rather then in passing. But it's as much about learning when to let harmless stuff go, as it it about nipping negative stuff in the bud. Though without knowing the forum I can't really speculate as to whether there's too much of the latter and not enough of the former going on.

The poster was relatively new to boards and airsoft, less then 50 posts. No previous that I'm aware of.

In the interests of full disclosure, I know the banned poster personally. I offered to vouch for them via PM with The Master, but he was having none of it. This thread is about more than this banning. However, the banning was the final straw for me.

Shiva wrote: »

The Airsoft forum isn't like a lot of the other forums on boards.ie.
    I understand there have to be rules, there has to be a charter, and order needs to be maintained. But the subtle difference between Airsoft and most of the other forums on Boards.ie is that 99% of the regular posters meet up with each other in the retail stores and on the skirmish sites on a VERY regular basis - as often every weekend, in many cases.

We've built up probably one of the tightest communities on Boards over the last 2+ years, and thats naturally going to lead to banter and joking which by any definition would be considered off-topic. But thats whats made the forum so active, and such a welcoming point of contact for new airsofters.
    We can discuss the latest airsoft developments, show off our new kit, and bitch about brands/guns/BBs/whatever the hell we want - And still keep the discussion going with a little fun thrown in to the mix.

Another salient point that this alludes to -- being permabanned from boards, as an Airsofter, is a massive deal -- it basically removes your ability to participate in most of the discussions happening online to do with Airsoft in Ireland. It is also a massive stigma to have to bear for a person on the field ("No, I'm not on boards, I got permabanned 2 years ago for making a stupid joke").

To permaban someone who has the best of reputations online and offline, without warning, is pretty far wide of the point when it comes to understanding how airsoft.boards.ie works. The mods are there to make sure the community can discuss what they want to do, not direct what they're allowed to discuss with an iron fist, and permanently ban new people who step out of line without warning.

I also think it's a bit rich to be saying that The Master is only finding out about the opinions people hold of him now. He's been told before, several times, that he's been heavy-handed and unfair, and it always eventually comes back to this. I honestly don't care who moderates the forum, once it's allowed to grow, flourish and be open and friendly to new and old players alike. If The Master isn't able to restrain himself from putting the boot in at the slightest (or sometimes complete lack of) provocation, he needs to go.

He's been told before, several times, that he's been heavy-handed and unfair, and it always eventually comes back to this.

Thats not true see as I'm involved in any discussions like that with him. He was asked to back down a bit once very recently. No one starts out knowing how to moderate there is a learning curve.

Thats twice you have been a bit economical with the truth in this thread and it doesn't help the point your trying to make here.

Id also like to point out there have been a number of complaints over the Airsoft News thread going way off topic and there have been a few warnings to keep it on track by mods. However threating bans over going off topic is OTT.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I personally have had a large portion of posts deleted without explanation. A pm was sent to
    all mods with no reply. I was a bit annoyed because id prefer to be told as to why my posts were deleted so i can perhaps adjust them in the future.

Which deleted ones, I can see what they were if you tell us the thread?

<seems to be about other posts>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Going to have to echo most of the above.

I have also met the master in real life, and he's a sound guy, but the airsoft forum has ticked along nicely without much need for moderation since its inception.

We had a regular troll, we had very argumentative IAA threads in the past, since then, nothing.

The need for a mod in that forum is simple, someone to remove links to a banned retailer, maintain the charter, and understand the nature of the forum.

That forum survives on the regular posters, the exact people new players see joking on the forum, answering their queries in troubleshooting, giving out advice and then, these are the same people a new player will meet on the airsoft field.

I'm a pretty regular poster on that forum, in fact, I love it, I'm addicted, I know most of the regulars personally and others I have met at least once. The jokes from the field spill over into the forum, and vice versa.

I'll cut it short, that forum ticks along nicely, "airsoft news" is a brilliant thread, not because it has some bloody news, airsoft-news.eu has that, its because once a news topic is posted, a flurry of discussion and banter surrounding it erupts, adding much colour to the topic. Airsoft needs a moderator to answer reported posts, deal with trolls and nuke spam, it doesn't need dictatorship of what we can and cannot discuss, because quite frankly, I will not be posting anymore, in fun or on troubleshooting, and others won't either.

This is killing the forum, the atmosphere and the driving away the regular knowledgeable posters who have made it the hub of airsoft in Ireland it is today.

Thats not true see as I'm involved in any discussions like that with him. He was asked to back down a bit once very recently. No one starts out knowing how to moderate there is a learning curve.

Thats twice you have been a bit economical with the truth in this thread and it doesn't help the point your trying to make here.

Id also like to point out there have been a number of complaints over the Airsoft News thread going way off topic and there have been a few warnings to keep it on track by mods. However threating bans over going off topic is OTT.

I'm not talking about discussions among mods, I'm talking about the occasional post where people complain about disappearing posts (specificallly in the off-topic thread, see Masada's example above about the pic that was deleted). I find it extremely hard to beleieve that The Master wouldn't have known that he was considered heavy-handed, just by reading the posts on the board.

TheDoc also PMed him directly about deleting posts, so he'll have known about that. I don't believe TheDoc got a reply there.

You don't have to be pulled aside to realise that people are being annoyed genuinely by what you're up to.

I misquoted the original posting by evilrobotshane, because it's deleted. I can't read it to quote it directly. Thanks (no, genuinely) for setting it straight. I'm just working with the information I have here, and am being as truthful as that allows. Sorry if I'm not being correct enough in the absence of information that's been deleted, but I don't think I can be accused of being 'economical with the truth' for that.

I'm not talking about discussions among mods, I'm talking about the occasional post where people complain about disappearing posts (specificallly in the off-topic thread, see Masada's example above about the pic that was deleted). I find it extremely hard to beleieve that The Master wouldn't have known that he was considered heavy-handed, just by reading the posts on the board.

TheDoc also PMed him directly about deleting posts, so he'll have known about that. I don't believe TheDoc got a reply there.

You don't have to be pulled aside to realise that people are being annoyed genuinely by what you're up to.

I misquoted the original posting by evilrobotshane, because it's deleted. I can't read it to quote it directly. Thanks (no, genuinely) for setting it straight. I'm just working with the information I have here, and am being as truthful as that allows. Sorry if I'm not being correct enough in the absence of information that's been deleted, but I don't think I can be accused of being 'economical with the truth' for that.

If you put what you said and the original post side by side it looks like it was intensionally toned down. Its a bit hard to forget someone saying that its sturdy enough to bash someones head in versus beat them up. I only read it once and it stuck in my head very clearly.

Every mod gets complaints they don't equate to being told your being too heavy handed. Allot of posters who have an action taken against them don't agree with that action. This is not the first feedback thread about an airsoft moderator. I'm sure I have at least 2 or 3.

If there was consensus on everything there would be no need for moderators and you need a bit of a thick skin to keep moderating.

If you put what you said and the original post side by side it looks like it was intensionally toned down. Its a bit hard to forget someone saying that its sturdy enough to bash someones head in versus beat them up. I only read it once and it stuck in my head very clearly.

This is a non-argument.

I read that post, I don't remember it.

In any case, one poster's ban is only one incident that is part of the greater issue, the authoritarian tone of the moderation.

The moderators have no right or claim to the forum, it is owned by boards.ie ltd and frankly survives because of the posters. The posters aren't happy in this case, and moderator status is a responcibility to those posters, not a badge of honour or power to manipulate the forum. People just aren't interested in that.

I know what your talking about and I deleted your posts and you know why considering your referred to it in that PM. You insulted someones wife (who is also boards member) during a bit of banter. You then reported one of the other parties posts in a petty tit for tat effort. There post got removed as well.

I'm not going to entertain PM's asking for explanantions when its obvious that you know whats going on. It was a storm in a tea cup.

The incident you refer to im aware of and i publucly stated on irc that that is how moderation should be done. But dont tell me it was a tit for tat. He made a sly comment and i responded. Dont give if you cant take. And i found it selective that his coment was left in view. But this topic is not bout this.

As i said this is really the whole point. I make a comment felt out of taste,it was deleted and i was informed so i can learn in future. However more posts of mine are deleted with no excuse. No i should point out i cant be positive it was the master. But i think its understandable from the current climate that i would assume.

• Advertisement

Every mod gets complaints they don't equate to being told your being too heavy handed. Allot of posters who has an action taken against them don't agree with that action.

If there was consensus on everything there would be no need for moderators and you need a bit of a thick skin to keep moderating.

Point accepted on the original post. I didn't want to either understate or overstate the severity, and missed the mark a bit. Thanks for clearing it up. For the record it was a completely uncalled for post, and did merit action, even if it was 'beating up' rather than 'bashing head in'.

I also completely understand the thick-skinnedness that needs to be exhibited. I've rolled my eyes with the rest of the forum when the zero-punctuation brigade starts mouthing off about abuses of power. I've modded other non-boards forums in the past, and you really do have to not let it get to you.

However, I started this thread because I want this forum to continue to succeed. It's where Airsoft in Ireland started, and while it'd be a shame to see another forum taking over, it's be double shameful if it did so because of one mod, and because prominent boards members, players and other community members didn't stand up and let their feelings known.

This is what this thread is for, I've been surprised at the people who are willing to stand up and say stuff, and I personally would like there to be more come out of this than mealy-mouthed assurances of leniency. As Sam says, the board belongs to the posters, and we seem to have forgotten this in the past few months.

I've met The Master at previous boards beers events, he seems a nice bloke, but he's a terrible moderator, and his credibility with the regular posters seems to have gone down the toilet. When the moderators can't be taken seriously, neither can the board, and that's when it all falls apart. So, to stand behind my insistence that this thread doesn't peter out into mealy-mouthedness, I am still of the opinion that The Master needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Can we stay on topic here? The general feeling is that the moderation had been fine until recently, and it's been getting steadily harsher to the point of making people feel that discussion isn't welcome, unless what's said is considered to be exactly what is required. This is feedback from active users, most of whom are considered 'good citizens' of the Airsoft forum, which is by and large very well moderated with little cause for complaint until now.

I'm generally fast with reporting posts I consider distasteful or trolling (as the Airsoft mods know), I'm pretty PC about what I consider acceptable, but the current direction has been widely discussed because of the way things have gone, and I can see it clearly myself. So can we stop nit-picking and just consider where to go from here? It's not an attack on anyone, we'd just like to see if we can improve the situation.

For what it's worth, unless I've missed something, the actual content of the Airsoft forum hasn't been more controversial or troublesome recently on any given week than over the last year and half.

Edit: Oops, just landed after gerrowadat's post. Sorry. We're back on.

The incident you refer to im aware of and i publucly stated on irc that that is how moderation should be done. But dont tell me it was a tit for tat. He made a sly comment and i responded. Dont give if you cant take. And i found it selective that his coment was left in view. But this topic is not bout this.

As i said this is really the whole point. I make a comment felt out of taste,it was deleted and i was informed so i can learn in future. However more posts of mine are deleted with no excuse. No i should point out i cant be positive it was the master. But i think its understandable from the current climate that i would assume.

I changed the above as you were posting that, whats posts are you referring to that he removed?

BTW the other post was left because it wasn't noticed till it was reported by you. It was his wife not him that didn't like being brought in to the banter.

To be clear about why i'm posting this stuff is I don't want a witch hunt against someone for things that all mods have done. I also think that gerrowadat has been very clear and referenced incidents (bar the 2 points we have straightened out).

If someone who gives there time to do the job is doing it wrong I think the least every could do is include the links the the incidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is the "Airsoft News" Thread an "Off Topic" Thread for Airsoft, or does it have one of them separately?

If it doesn't, have the Mods considered creating an OTT?

It could channel some of the "Banter" type posts.

Im going to withdraw from this topic now as i made my original post and i made my point. We could spend all day talking bout individual situations. Im not disputing my post was maybe out of taste, but like i said do t give if you cant take. It was banter,those that know me and met me on the field know im a joker.

I received no pm from either so i assume they took it as a joke. They have my phone number and see me on irc they could have raised the point.

Everyone has a different sense of humour and different tolerances. Im probably the most riddiculed and slagged poster on boards and i dont mind because its banter,its craic and it what makes our community so special.

Airsofters are literally the only people that i let cross the line when it comes to stuff like my weight etc because i know its pure jest, but im not going to not reply.

The point im trying to make is that isnt being understood by mods. Kdouglas perhaps gets me because id see him alot and knows what type of clown i am.

I think there needs to be an understsnding that there us groups of people thst regularly make jokes between each other. Example dr.peppers comment recently basically saying he got my ma pregnant. I wouldnt report that nor shud it,nor should it be deleted. I made a joke,he responded and cause i know him its grand. I wouldnt go rip it out of a new poster.

I think the soul and the heart of the community and the forum is being lost. Boards isnt good cause i can buy kit or see what retailers have in stock. I go on for a chat, debate and a laugh. The latter does not happen anymore.

It annoys me so bad how we cannot even debate topics without it being insta locked.

Des wrote: »
    Is the "Airsoft News" Thread an "Off Topic" Thread for Airsoft, or does it have one of them separately?

They are two seperate topics. But most topics can go momemtarily into a debate or joke fest

Des wrote: »

There separate, and regular posters complain/report when the News ones goes it goes heavily off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

They are two seperate topics. But most topics can go momemtarily into a debate or joke fest

Fair enough, I've just had a look in the forum.

Would there be any issue of the moderator moved the posts from the "news" thread to the OT Thread?
    There separate, and regular posters complain/report when the News ones goes it goes heavily off topic.

So they get deleted?

I think simply moving the "off topic" posts to the "off topic" thread would be an amicable solution to this.

• Advertisement

There is an OTT, which serves well for very much off the wall discussion.

The main issue here is that the news thread serves well for some off topic banter regarding the news, as it always has done.

This isn't a witch hunt, but posters on the forum aren't happy with how it is being moderated at the moment, and the credibility of the moderation is now in question. As has been pointed out before, the airsoft.boards.ie forum has pretty much been the birthplace of airsoft in this country, and it is a tight nit community that knows each other well. The forum serves as a brilliant way to network that community and bring in new members, having a welcoming relaxed tone is paramount to that success.

Its very easy for feedback to become very pragmatic, with outside perceptions of the forum based on the other forums on boards being me the measure of the airsoft forum. They cant be, the difference is huge.

The loss here will be the regulars, so many I have spoken to at games and off the forum feel the same. The loss of the atmosphere of this forum will kill it, it isn't an anonymous forum that exists in its own right, it exists because of the community surrounding it, and if it doesn't cater to that community it may as well be shut down, and would be readily replaced, which would be a huge shame, as that forum has been a huge success.

This is the result of a long standing dissent with the new moderation style, it has boiled over finally with the results of that moderation, and a gerrowadat has said, it isn't one incident, it isn't a solo opinion, and it is also due to people within the community not wanting to stand up and complain, because they know each other.

This post has been up what, a day? If this thread were linked on the main forum, a flood or similar opinions would come in.

There is a learning curve for moderation sure, but to be a member of the community and the forum for so long and to seemingly get it so wrong is highly suspect to the suitability for a moderation candidate.

I just want to see the moderation of the forum, which is now running or at least was running as smooth as ever, to become more moderate.

We received a new mod at a time when they were needed really only in a background role, but the new moderator has taken to overzealous moderation for apparently the sake of it.

Hand a mechanic a working car, and you won't expect him to start ripping the engine apart for the sake of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement