Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-handed Mod in Airsoft forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Ass wrote: »
    The moderators are deluded as to what is actually harmful to the sport also. I remember posting a thread asking people what they would change the Irish laws with regards to the classification of an airsoft gun and the thread was locked. It was as if they thought a discussion on an internet forum about increasing the power of airsoft guns was going to get the sport banned. That was the reason given for it being locked, which is laughable at best.

If you don't like it don't post there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Blay wrote: »
    Ok everyone thread over.

Ok everyone thread over.

No because the people who have a legitimate grievance on this thread actually contribute to the forum. But I've never seen anything from you that is helpful or contributes to the good of the forum.You had a post deleted three times on one thread before because you were trolling. You're just on this thread to stir up trouble as far as I can see as evidenced by your earlier posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

i cant see ur posts cause ur on my ignore list hehe

i cant see ur posts cause ur on my ignore list hehe

That cut deep:rolleyes:

Back to the tpic at hand anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Look, The Master has done a good job in many ways, but it is the mistakes he has made that I would like addressed, this is feedback, literally, I'm not on the remove him bandwagon, I am seeking to get a bit of consistency of his moderation with that of the other moderators.

If this thread gets through, thats a success, but I like others feel a lot less comfortable posting anymore, and I'll be damned if I still help others in the newbie and troubleshooting sections if I cant even post a crack about a new piece of ridiculous equipment in the news section.

There are valid posts and points in this thread, especially the first 2 pages, they are worth reading as the current feeling of the posters, varying yes, but with an undercurrent of dissatisfaction with the changes in the forum.

All the tripe posting and bickering may be discarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Blay wrote: »
    Back to the tpic at hand anyway..

+1,Ass, your not really helping at all.so if you have not got anything to say regarding the current discussion,dont say anything at all.

I would also like to say that i was not happy either when the 'Airsofters and exams' thread was closed as i was doing the JC and yes ,i did get to post in it but would of liking to see other peoples words of encouragement as i dose make that difference and from my knowledge there was always a thread wishing exam students best wishes but this year it is locked.Why?But i still stand strongly about why the 'Boards Airsoft Day' thread was closed? but at the same time the Airsoft beers is alloud to be still open?Why is this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ScumLord wrote: »
    There are probably children looking at AH too, there are probably children listening to their parents talking about adult stuff in pubs and we don't pander to them there. I would have thought airsoft was an adult game anyway.

Possibly but that doesn't mean we shouldnt care. If everyone had that "not my problem" attitude where would be be? And if you think that running around playing with toy guns is an exclusively adult game your sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've never posted in that forum, do you need to be a member of an Airsoft club to have a licence for a gun?

afaik, in the Hunting & Shooting forum, all members are members of a club and saying anything dodgy can have you booted out of a club & iirc get the club you're involved with in serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Masada wrote: »
    While I understand what you have contributed to the forum, i don't think this is something that can add weight to your argument. I have been on the airsoft forum for 2 years, before and after you modded in there so its not like your participation on the forum gains you any more experience over some of its most regular contributors who are posting in this thread.

Thanks for the "my dick is bigger than your comments".

I have an alternative view of the forum and given I have been on boards since it started, most of those years on high volume forums I think I can give a perspective from that view point.

I respect you and nearly all your posts on the airsoft forum, yes you are a valuable contributor but I disagree with those that want to turn it into a banter filled club on every thread.

If you want news. heres news, http://airsoftnews.eu/news.php

Now who is being dismissive. I want to read news that is Irish based and that thread which you contribute too is the best source for me. I really do not want to see a load of fartknockers talking ****e to get to the info. A thread was specifically set up for that purpose.
    since the beginning of the thread there has always been discussion of things posted in the thread, and that has included moderators, thats the type of thread it is. If there was no discussion it wouldnt have any attraction and if it goes that I for one, certainly will not contribute any further to it.
    Further to that, if you want to have rules on whats allowed then post some in its first page. there is no mention anywhere of any rules on what can be posted in the news thread.

Discussion is fine if it is relevant to the thread but honestly some of the stuff in there has been absolute rubbish. If thats what you want fair enough. As for the "its not in the rules" comments please use some cop on.
    why is it that dave so obviously left it vague? when it has been mentioned by both him and myself.. in this thread, and you still haven't seen it. have you read this thread? you are being selective with what your quoting and overlooking what is right under your nose.

here ya go though,

Again thats my opinion and if you check the times of posts they are well after midnight. I normally hit the sack then so I was skimming through the thread. Fair enough your big polar bear picture shouldn't have been deleted. I will ask Rob to throw himself onto his sword now then eh :rolleyes:

Ok... well if it makes perfect sense to you.. help the rest of us understand it then, dont just say it makes sense?

can you clear this up for me then please.
    Q:Is it ok to organise a piss up on the airsoft forum?

Q:Why isnt it ok to organise a boards airsoft get together where we, umm, play airsoft?

Now, i know the default response is going to be,
    "people do that every weekend" etc blah blah.
    but people go drinking every weekend too. the idea of the thread was to get all the boards regulars together in the one site. which i think makes perfect sense.

Actually part of the response will be "people do it every weekend" and they all organise them on boards, jaysus if the admins were arrogant enough they could claim every skirmish at the weekends was a boards airsofting event because alot of people organise to meet up at them from here (btw before some of you blow a fuse I am not saying that). My perspective is this, what site do you choose, who decides. What about a "venue" where bad blood exists between one team and the owner. The politics of it could explode in the forum from a moderation point of view and let me tell you that is not pretty I and most of the other current mods have been in the middle of a ****storm like that!.

Something like a major boards airsofting event imho is a reality if it is planned correctly. TBH I would count the Gathering as a event that brings the boards community into it.

That thread smacked of not checking out what exactly is happening in the scene. I would have closed it too but I would have directed the OP towards the sites and retailers forums and any threads about events like the gathering.
    I don't mean to look like I'm digging into you paul, but you seem fiercely defensive on the topic, and your post hasn't added anything to the thread, other than saying you agree with his moderation.

This could go on for hours with the quoting so i think i'll call it a day and leave it at that.
    What usually happens from here? is their some sort of a process or do we wait for c mods/s mods to come across the thread?

TBH I have a thick skin man so don't worry fire away :) I wouldn't call it defensive but I hate witch hunts, especially when all I think is wrong is the presentation of the decisions.
    mle1324 wrote: »
    I would like to point out that the Boards Airsoft Day which was started by Doyler92 on the 02/06/2009 was closed after 13 posts (mine been last) with no reason given what so ever at first, which resulted in a second thread been made about a Boards Airsoft Day and from my understanding with Doyler92 that he and myself thought that is was an error and it was then that the second Boards Day Out thread created by Doyler92 again and then a few minutes was locked and deleted and then finally and explanation given later in the day at some stage on the first boards airsoft day thread.In fact i see this Boards Airsoft Day been more sensible then going out on the piss.i.e>Airsoft Beers.
    In my opinion this dose not seem a good reason to lock the thread as there was no intention to get EVERY member of Boards.ie and invite them out to a skirmish and in a way i don't see how this is much different from the Airsoft Beers thread.And my opinion on this is that this was bad modding.

Another point that I am making is that by the looks of it there dose not seem to be much or any communcation between Mods regarding who to ban, give an infraction to and which posts to delete.As a Registered User i cannot see what the Mods see such as a hidden thread (e.g:a thread for Mods to discuss things regarding the forum that they are in charge of).What i mean by my last sentence is that i am a Mod on another forum and we confair with each other about the forum in a private thread called a staff lounge.If there is no such thing in the Airsoft Forum i would recommend having one.

LOL I actually was refering to Masada's post when I said I'd respond later. My new employers don't like boards so I was posting from a Blackberry. But I'll respond to you as well.

I have explained my reason as to why I agree with the decision to lock the thread above.

When I modded there actually was good comms between the mods, when we were all around. Unfortunately real life gets in the way so sometimes they have to take solo decisions. The only problem I see is Rob just needs to flesh out his reasons for closing threads.

• Advertisement

LOL .i thought that u were talking to me,sorry mate:D
    cant be as bad as me,i'm posting using my ps3 as my computer is downloading something.lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ok, to be quite honest gandalf, im dissapointed to see you stoop to this sort of level. i have always regarded you highly but this is silly.
    Im not going to engage in quote warz with you, but i will adress a few things.

the first point you made, i have not engaged in any sort of dick measuring with you, i simply explained that your experience on the forum doesnt add value to your arguemnet since i am also a regular since the begining.
    I have no intention of comparing forum contributions. and i feel my point still stands.stooping to the levels of comparing dick sizes has devalued the thread in my opinion. civilised discussion has been my only aim here, i believe some of the other forum regulars who posted share the same opinion.

Either you have missread a lot of the points in this thread since you admittedly skimmed over it, or you are fiercely defensive in favor of the mod in question to the point where you posts became uselss and agressive.

Regarding the news thread, most of what is in that thread is from airsoftnews.eu, so it makes perfect sense to just read it there if theres to be no discussion.

Regarding my post being removed,
    Im not sure if i have actually achieved an agreement from you on this, despite the dismissive sarcasm at the end of your sentence.
    While i understand it was late and you skimmed the thread, if you haven't had the time to read it then you should save your opinion until you have actually read and understood the thread. Instead, after initially disagreeing, you have accepted my stance and discredited it with sarcasm.

Regarding the boards airsoft get together,
    I don't feel your response is sufficient and my questions have gone completely unanswered.

Yes, there is discussion on the forum about games ect, but a boards get together is completely different to what goes on there.
    The intention was to get all the forum members together for a skirmish. Most of the previous events have been arranged by a site instead of by the people. If the members arranged it, they would be able to vote on what site to use. like the way the beers threads do. It is absolutely shambolic that this very system can be applied to organising a piss up on the airsoft forum, when this, and airsoft related event, cannot.

As far as rivalry's go, I think you have jumped 5 steps ahead of yourself and presumed all hell will break out.I dont believe that would be the case, The take aim events being proof of it.

With respect, i feel your posts have been very dismissive to the point were the thread has become a game of quote tennis and i am wondering why I bothered to reply. I didn't intend on writing this much but it was the first part of this post i wanted to clear up. Maybe its best we leave this to the powers that be, it seems there isnt anything else to be gained here.

gandalf wrote: »
    I want to read news that is Irish based and that thread which you contribute too is the best source for me. I really do not want to see a load of fartknockers talking ****e to get to the info. A thread was specifically set up for that purpose.

Discussion is fine if it is relevant to the thread but honestly some of the stuff in there has been absolute rubbish. If thats what you want fair enough. As for the "its not in the rules" comments please use some cop on.

Just to pick one point, rather than the others about polar dogs (it was a dog :P) or the meetups neither of which I was aware of.

Effectively you are arguing a position on how you view the airsoft news thread, you and the few ominous reported posts you mentioned before.

You want to read news that is Irish based, fair enough, there is none.
    The only news coming out of Ireland are the events, and the new retailers and their stock, which is all already on the forum.

By definition, that thread can only be or be 95 % composed of second hand information or outright copy pasting from airsoft-news.eu and rarely, somewhere else. The airsoft forum is a forum, that is a thread about news, it will never be news in itself, so that would lead us to believe that that thread is for discussion, and rightly so, no-one will deny that.

But I don't know what airsoft you play, or what forums you frequent, but the nature of the game (emphasis on game) is that of a relaxed enjoyable nature.
    It isn't serious, it isn't life or death, the equipment won't save our lives, it won't overthrow a dictator, it will only be fun for playing a game. Now if that is a serious subject matter I'll eat my bdu. There is no sense in keeping that thread 'on topic' by the definition that has been applied lately, because that seems to mean discuss the item and the associated opinions without humor.

I'm sorry, why bother? Copy paste from a news source, repeat what we have read in that article back and forth and come away with a sense of time wasted on nothing. This po faced attitude to airsoft is not in keeping with the game, I most certainly do not play the sport to be miserable, I don't buy the gear to be poor, and I don't go on the forum to be chastised and treated like a burden by those who should be maintaining the good atmosphere of the forum.

Its easy to come back with a snide comment belittling that aspect of the forum, as garbage, useless banter etc. based on your own opinion and the few sour reported posts you received but heres the counter to that, this thread is the other opinion. That the threat of bans, infractions and post deletion on the news thread is NOT welcome, it is a discussion thread, on a forum dedicated to a social sport. The sort who have a problem with other people enjoying layed back fun have greater issues than an internet forum and really need to get to a game and learn to interact with people and understand the nature of the game. Toy guns and grown men, it really is ridiculous, its only excuse is that its fun, and even now that last bit seems to be least important on the agenda.

Lads im going to put a stop to this here, the News thread will continue to be modded as is, if it goes off topic it will be brought back on simple as and end of. No one is going to get banned for it but it will be kept on topic.

The arrogance of individuals to say that they know best in the face of the regualr reporting of their posts by their fellow posters is a disgrace. You seem to be under the impression that we take it on our selfs to decide to mod the thread. I couldnt give a **** but your fellow posters do. Just because you spend most of your time posting on the airsoft forum does not make you some sort of expert on it or have a clue about what it takes to mod it. A regualr poster is not above getting it wrong and warrenting mod action. As regualr users you dont see the type of reports or the sheer volume of them daily.

Drop the BS about the news thread and stick to the the topic at hand.

The news thread has been one of the examples given rew, there was a blatant threat there that anything off topic would result in a ban, which is contrary to what you have just said.

Also,You don mod in here and your orders arn't warranted.

Opinions that contradict yours are arrogant?

And in the same post you back track on the threats of bans on thread.

This is why this thread happened, and is not bs, and is on topic.

There are several symptoms of the main issues, I feel I have been very reasonable in expressing those, counter arguments seem extremely condescending, that last one by yourself rew is clearly excessively emotive, why not stick to facts if they are so easily available to you.

Would seem to be the most logical way to deal with feedback form the posters, regular or not, as it seems to be the credibility of peoples opinions now boils down to experience now or at least is being attacked in that way.

Do me the service of responding objectively, and leave the " **** " out.

So basically the news thread in your eyes is the kinda news thread then :rolleyes:

Why bother to have an off topic thread then.

As for not being allowed to express your sense of humour on forum, I did it here with my "dick measuring" comment (ok without the smiley) and you went off the handle. See my point.

I expressed my opinion on the "skirmish day" idea quite clearly but hey organise one and prove me wrong.

I am finished with this. The only problem I see is Rob is not being clear in his communication on closing threads.

The news thread has been one of the examples given rew, there was a blatant threat there that anything off topic would result in a ban, which is contrary to what you have just said.

Also,You don mod in here and your orders arn't warranted.

When im referring to a thread in the airsoft forum it is warranted. No one is going to get banned for being OT.

The News thread is taking on a life of its own here so I want to clear up whats happening with it.

The Masters post withing that thread is an example yes but people are getting side tracked with the subject of the thread its self.

Opinions different to mine are not what I consider arrogant. Ignoring your peers for you own selfish reasons is.

So basically the news thread in your eyes is the kinda news thread then :rolleyes:

Why bother to have an off topic thread then.

I'd like to know where I said that, its a discussion of the news thread, where 95 % or so of the content is copy pasted. I'd love to know what you want that thread to be other than a discussion about the news thread, becasue it certainly isn't anything else.

RE: off-topic

There is a line, it is where a joke refers to the news and is in the right place, then there is a joke completely irrelevant to the news where the banter has gone off track, that can be moved or suggested to be in another area, thats fair, I have never had an issue with that before.

I'm sure in the flurry of the thread you missed my particular take on the situation, it is natural to do so, my opinion is that the threat of moderation, be that ban or infraction or whatever, has a damaging effect if done excessively. I want to let that be known as my opinion, and that in my opinion it has gone too far lately.
    As for not being allowed to express your sense of humour on forum, I did it here with my "dick measuring" comment (ok without the smiley) and you went off the handle. See my point.

Is that aimed at me or Masada? I didn't anyway, I think it was aimed at him, no irony there if implied regardless, there is an argument here, humor easily goes awry, that is a simple part of life and discussion of divided issues, not to be blamed on either party.
    I expressed my opinion on the "skirmish day" idea quite clearly but hey organise one and prove me wrong.

I am finished with this. The only problem I see is Rob is not being clear in his communication on closing threads.

That is one issue that has certainly damaged his credibility and disenfranchised posters, addressing that as an issue is one of this threads objectives. Nobody enjoys this, this isn't a fight tha powa, this isn't fun, and we aren't trolling out of boredom.

You want to bow out, so do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

+1 to Rew, apart from one wee point -- the people on this thread aren't trolls, malcontents or messers (for the most part. Go sling your own faeces elsewhere, Ass).

Sure, there are one or two people who have a few infractions and bans under their belt, but (while we're waving our willies) I've been on boards 4 years without so much as an infraction or warning, and I started this thread for genuine reasons, and I'd appreciate a genuine answer that isn't the usual jazz of latching onto tiny factual inaccuracies and nitpicking them to death.

So, +1, for pointing out that we need to get to the point. It doesn't matter what happened or what didn't happen, what it comes down to is that the prominent and non-prominent posters to Airsoft aren't happy with how modding has been done since The Master came on board. All that remains is for the mods (and Rob in particular) to respond and let us know what's being done about it (with the knowledge that the stock mod answer of "we know better than you do, modding is hard, hush now" isn't going to wash).

The Master hasn't posted since the ban, and kdouglas mentioned he might be gone for a few days, so I'd ask people to please let this thread lie for a little while, so we can get the response in good time.

• Advertisement

Stercus the comments about the news thread were actually in answer to Masada's post. I only saw your post after I submitted.

Great idea, im not sure what his situation is ATM and I would hate to be him coming in to 8 pages of a thread about yourself.

Rew wrote: »
    Ignoring your peers for you own selfish reasons is.

:sigh:

If this refers to the reported posts I'll give you a news flash, we can't see them.

I can be sarky and emotive too, the irony here is that we are complaining that a style of moderation is ignoring the views of the moderators peers.
    You yourself are accusing your peers of being arrogant, this really is an arseways argument and I will treat it as such.

I already posted, be objective, give us this information we don't have. You have submitted that the news thread receives many reported posts, well this is, as I have already said, the 'pro' camp for that thread. Nothing arrogant about an opinion, more so an accusation.

Edit, sorry if this seems out of context, rew was the last poster when i started it.

Dave, i agree, maybe we should just await a response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Well, it is one of the many examples that have been given and supported by others aswell as myself.

It IS one of the issues, and it will be discussed. it was issue enough for the masters post to be removed. if it wasnt an issue, it wouldnt have been removed.

Stercus the comments about the news thread were actually in answer to Masada's post. I only saw your post after I submitted.

Fair enough, wasn't sure myself.

Fair enough, wasn't sure myself.

LOL serves me right for hitting reply and walking away from the PC for a minute or two :)

Edit, sorry if this seems out of context, rew was the last poster when i started it.

Dave, i agree, maybe we should just await a response.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

+1 on that.this is the 8th page now and The Master hasen't gotten his word in yet so i think that,yea,we should wait for all our unanswered question to be answered and see what the situation is then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

That was worth the read.

Just about the original post tht sparked this.

At the end of the day, it's not racist, thats just become a buzz word. Isresli's and Palistines are kicking the crap out of eah other all the time, and no amount of shouting racist will stop that.

Also he refered specifically to MY Tavor....and am I offended....nope.

The joke;
    Bad taste: Yes.
    Funny: Absolutely

It's black humour, if you don't like it, don't laugh....just don't ruin it for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sam you cant ever stop on a good old debate haha. I think its only fair we hold on for a response from the master,or perhaps a collective response from the mods.

However id like it to be a valid explanation on the topic. Mods here are experts in quote tennis and can jump on previously infracted posters. Experts in purposely dragging the conversation and original point miles away. Coming here is running the gauntlet,but as we have said it is solid headscposting here not trolls.

And i think we deserve a proper response?rubbing our hair and telling us we wouldnt understand modding is bull****,some of us have modded forums or/and websites with alot more traffic and alot more ****e then an airsoft forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'm only new to Airsoft but I just wanted to put forward this thread as an example of one where there is inconsistent modding on the Airsoft Forum. Rew, an Airsfot mod posted in the thread #5 and the thread proceeded, before The Master came along exactly 2 hours later and editted the original post and locked the thread, with this post.
    Originally Posted by The Master
    off topic and link to a banned retailer

closed

If it was deserving of closure why didn't Rew close it only 5 posts in? Like I say I'm only new to the forum, but when such inconsistency exists in Moderators then its hard to know when, where, or what to post. Especially as a noob to such an established group of people that all know each irl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement