Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-handed Mod in Airsoft forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

That was an instance of a video posted by a banned retailer being linked, I would imagine Rew did not see the whole video and who it was by initially, The Master did, in that case, it was a link to material relating to a banned retailer from the forum.

The Master has made good decisions, he isn't a terrible moderator, but there are issues needing addressing, as put out in this thread earlier, IMO, the above case isn't one of them. Maybe the explanation was a bit blunt and wouldn't have gotten the point through to less frequent posters who wouldn't be aware of the banned retailer and the accompanying rules on the forum if there is to be a criticism made.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,960 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

That answers my query really. I guess I'm just echoing what you said and also what gandalf said that maybe he could be clearer when locking threads. But then again some mods in other forums don't even give any reason so it's only a minor criticism overall.

Then again I'm only new to this and only getting to know the forum recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

i have nothing against this chap whatsoever but i do feel that he has locked more threads & deleted more posts than any other mod proportionate to his time served.

I have personally had one thread locked where i posted a video of a Lithium Polymer battery being intentionally ruptured under controlled conditions so as to show others the potential hazzards of these type of battery, given that there had been an increase in interest in said battery type of late.
    Basically the battery expanded, smouldered and produced quite a lot of smoke during the chemical reation it was undergoing.
    Haphazzardly and with tounge firmly in cheek i titled the thread "an alternative to Pyros".

obvioulsy this was a joke as who would waste €30+ for a very dangerous "smoke bomb".
    Anyways it was locked and i followed it up with the master who basicall aggreed with me when i explained my intentions and admitted my mistake in the thread title. he said he hoped i would repost it in a more responsible way to engage discussion about the batteries.
    I didnt.
    if the problem was the thead title why not edit it, mods do possess this power i believe.

My second gripe with him and i dont know for certain that it was him as i received no notification ect. was when i had a post deleted from the news section for basically poiting out another members hyprocrasy in criticising some one knowingly importing a hot gun, i went on to discuss the new gun that had orignally sparked the initial conversation but much to my dismay my entire post was deleted, without explanation.

This to me is bullshít, i am a regular enough poster when it come to the news section as i feel that given our laws & environment that other news websites do not fully cover what we need to know to keep with in the confindes of the law so a certain amount of "chatter" has to be allowed.

But now i feel why bother, you dont get this crap on Arnies so why waste my time here, and im not the only member who feels this way.

What has been the Masters response to this thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

My second gripe with him and i dont know for certain that it was him as i received no notification ect. was when i had a post deleted from the news section for basically poiting out another members hyprocrasy in criticising some one knowingly importing a hot gun, i went on to discuss the new gun that had orignally sparked the initial conversation but much to my dismay my entire post was deleted, without explanation.

No, what you did was to accuse me of being in possession of an illegal firearm. when you have never, held, used or even seen the gun in question, twas merely your misguided opinion from facts that you read from the internet.
    You presumed the gun was to run on green gas, which it isnt. they break and fall to pieces on this gas. Any gun can be made to fire over the legal limit buy using unsuitable gas, just like using Co2 in green gas pistols.
    I understand you might not have known this but it was made clear to you in my post after yours, which was also removed. i wouldn't call this a harsh call as the charter specifically prohibits discussion of over the limit airsoft equipment.

On your first point, i agree with you, that was a bit harsh. thrad titles have been altered in the past and it would make more sense than to lock the thread since there could be valuable information there for people who are new to lipo batterys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm only new to Airsoft but I just wanted to put forward this thread as an example of one where there is inconsistent modding on the Airsoft Forum. Rew, an Airsfot mod posted in the thread #5 and the thread proceeded, before The Master came along exactly 2 hours later and editted the original post and locked the thread, with this post.

If it was deserving of closure why didn't Rew close it only 5 posts in? Like I say I'm only new to the forum, but when such inconsistency exists in Moderators then its hard to know when, where, or what to post. Especially as a noob to such an established group of people that all know each irl

I didn't agree with closing it but was voted out by the other mods simple as that. It was a very borderline case. A 2nd thread was opened on the same topic with a different link that stayed open.

• Advertisement

Masada wrote: »
    No, what you did was to accuse me of being in possession of an illegal firearm. when you have never, held, used or even seen the gun in question, twas merely your misguided opinion from facts that you read from the internet.
    You presumed the gun was to run on green gas, which it isnt. they break and fall to pieces on this gas. Any gun can be made to fire over the legal limit buy using unsuitable gas, just like using Co2 in green gas pistols.
    I understand you might not have known this but it was made clear to you in my post after yours, which was also removed. i wouldn't call this a harsh call as the charter specifically prohibits discussion of over the limit airsoft equipment.

On your first point, i agree with you, that was a bit harsh. thrad titles have been altered in the past and it would make more sense than to lock the thread since there could be valuable information there for people who are new to lipo batterys.

I wasnt accusing you of havin anything illegal was just illustrating the abstract simmilarities between what you had said to a lad about a gas gun with the potential to be used over the limit on green gas when it could just as easily be used on 134a for legal usage here, and the gun you bought and posted pics of on here which im fairly sure was designed to be used on green given that its posted fps is well into the 400's.

i know that the WA isnt in stock form but im fairly sure the AGM ones are given that almost every product description & review/test iv seen states the same, i could be wrong.

how and ever this is neither the time nor the place for this discussion, my point was simply that the whole of my post was deleted instead of the "offending" part of the post, and without notification.

i cant remember what else was in your post so couldnt really comment on weather the post should just have been sniped but i can see why a moderator ( i dont know which mod was responsible) took action. the charter specifically states no discussion of devices above 1J.

regarding my m4, which i have already pointed out, is perfectly legal. you got your stats from the internet, where you dont know what variables are involved and what sort of climate the stats were achieved in. given that ireland has a pretty mild/cold climate we dont get the same pressures from the gas that other hotter countries do.
    The gun was not not designed for green, and it wont last on it i can assure you. there are also no similarities between my posts and the other poster who openly admits to intending to import illegal firearms, ie hot guns. regardless of weather or not he intends to alter them. you also completely over looked the fact the MP7 mentioned isn't the same brand as that possibly overpowered one the poster mentioned a few months earlier,the new one is designed for the japanese market aparently.

as said though, i dont think this is the place for this conversation and if it was infact the master that modded this case, it doesnt seem unfair to me, and my posts were removed too. i dont think it would warrant an explanation from that mod either since it was quite obvious why there was posts removed. Also, i mod can correct me on this but i dont think its common place for a mod to inform a user each time the remove or edit a post, i certainly havent had PM's from mods to enlighten me in these situations.

Back to the original topic though,
    To anyone who knows how feedback works, where do these threads usually go from here? there hasn't been any involvement from the master or any of the higher mods in 4 days?

i cant remember what else was in your post so couldnt really comment on weather the post should just have been sniped but i can see why a moderator ( i dont know which mod was responsible) took action. the charter specifically states no discussion of devices above 1J.

regarding my m4, which i have already pointed out, is perfectly legal. you got your stats from the internet, where you dont know what variables are involved and what sort of climate the stats were achieved in. given that ireland has a pretty mild/cold climate we dont get the same pressures from the gas that other hotter countries do.
    The gun was not not designed for green, and it wont last on it i can assure you. there are also no similarities between my posts and the other poster who openly admits to intending to import illegal firearms, ie hot guns. regardless of weather or not he intends to alter them. you also completely over looked the fact the MP7 mentioned isn't the same brand as that possibly overpowered one the poster mentioned a few months earlier,the new one is designed for the japanese market aparently.

as said though, i dont think this is the place for this conversation and if it was infact the master that modded this case, it doesnt seem unfair to me, and my posts were removed too. i dont think it would warrant an explanation from that mod either since it was quite obvious why there was posts removed. Also, i mod can correct me on this but i dont think its common place for a mod to inform a user each time the remove or edit a post, i certainly havent had PM's from mods to enlighten me in these situations.

To anyone who knows how feedback works, where do these threads usually go from here? there hasn't been any involvement from the master or any of the higher mods in 4 days?

The Master is out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We'd like to hear from the mod in question, so lets give him some time to answer the issues when he comes back.

Ah i see, no pobs,. :)

• Advertisement

Im well aware of the effects of ambient temprature on the fps of a gas gun in cooler climates, the fact of the matter is that the AGM M4 is designed for green gas, wheteher they monkey metal they use in manufacturing will hold up over time is another matter but to say that its not designed for it is self delusional.
    The chap from redwolf even states that it is designed for top gas and that is in a country with a warmer climate than ours, and i think it is safe to assume that he knows a great deal more about things of that nature than you or I.

Secondly what the poster actually stated, before his post was deleted, was that he had in fact bought the gun from boards after being told that it was under the limit, i think i can even rember the sale thread.

Not intentionally imported illegally as alledged by your good self.
    I believe his original comment re: the KWA MP7 was:
    "ill worry aout the fps when have it in my hands", much the same as you did with your M4, it could well have been over the limit on 134a, you wouldnt have known for sure till it was in your hands.

The simple fact of that matter is that youre gun and all others like it will shoot hot if used on green, fact.

The only propper downgrade is the RA tech bolt or adjusting the hammer spring or filling in the holes in the striker valve.

The KSC and initially linked KWA guns will also shoot hot on green, with the possibility of being legal on 134a, whether they will hold up on it is another matter entirely.

Not that im making any assumptions regarding your integrity, id be reasonably certain that you wouldnt be keeping a gun in an overpowered state for too long, if said gun did indeed transpire to be over the limit, much like myself.

My point being is that here is a lot of confusion between 3 posters and countless readers, due to the fact that posts were deleted w/o explanation when editing would have been a simpler, more transparant process.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Alzir

Since ive being draged in to this let me get the facts straight as i am "that other poster"
    ...there are also no similarities between my posts and the other poster who openly admits to intending to import illegal firearms, ie hot guns. regardless of weather or not he intends to alter them.

Yes you are quite right. There are no similarities between my posts and yours. I actually downgraded my M4 which I purchased in Dubiln unlike you. I simply did not "claim" that it will not operate on green gas and decide to use a lower power alternative gas. I mechanically downgraded my M4 so that there would be absolutely no option for the gun to be used over powered.

You my friend "openly admitted to intending to importing illegal firearms, ie hot guns. regardless of weather or not you intend to alter them".
    You blatantly posted that you had ordered one and subsequently posted about recieving it even though when the gun came out on the international market all power figuers were qouted on green gas and also qouted as being over powered for the laws in this country.

.....regarding my m4, which i have already pointed out, is perfectly legal. you got your stats from the internet....

and where did you get your stats before you you oredered your M4?
    The M4 i purchased was available in Ireland and had been advertised as legal velocity.

you also completely over looked the fact the MP7 mentioned isn't the same brand as that possibly overpowered one the poster mentioned a few months earlier,the new one is designed for the japanese market aparently.

Could it not be assumed that if the MP7 was overpowered on green gas in our climate, then 134a could be used instead? Its an abs constructed gbb which would be more likely to fail prematurly on green than a metal constructed gun.

In my opinion no because simply changing the type of gas used is an unacceptable method of "downgrading" a gas gun.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Alzir, you, and everyone else discussing topics best left to the actual Airsoft forum have taken this thread totally off topic.

I'm closing this thread if that continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Alzir

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Alzir, you, and everyone else discussing topics best left to the actual Airsoft forum have taken this thread totally off topic.

I'm closing this thread if that continues.

Sorry Beruthiel, I posted all this in the main airsoft forum but it was actually deleted. Most likely by The Master who Is the mod in question in this thread.
    I did not want to post in here but I feel Ive been dragged in to this by the previous poster so I had to set them straight.

Alzir wrote: »
    Sorry Beruthiel, I posted all this in the main airsoft forum but it was actually deleted. Most likely by The Master who Is the mod in question in this thread.
    I did not want to post in here but I feel Ive been dragged in to this by the previous poster so I had to set them straight.

He's out of the country and not online ATM...

Were you given any indication as to when he'll be back online rew?

i know hes been back online since the the thread started but there has been no word as of yet.,

:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond but I’ve been out of the country working.

This is the first time in ages I’ve been able to log in without being kicked off by a web filter within seconds.

I’ve only had time to scan briefly through this thread but the gist of it seems to be I’m being far too harsh and not explaining my Mod decisions enough.

This will change immediately.

Several members of the Airsoft community whom I respect highly have made their case known and I have endeavoured to take on board what they have said from what I have gathered from my brief reading of this thread.

Airsoft as a sport and the Airsoft forum mean a lot to me and I would hate to see it affected badly in any way.

Sorry again to those who want specific answers to specific questions but I’m unable at this time to go through the entire thread and give full answers to everybody.

I will however when I get the chance again.

Further apologies to those who wish to respond to this comment but it could be several days or longer before I can post again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭moggser

Has this thread Died out with out response??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I would have thought the post immediately above yours is the response you're looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

I would have thought the post immediately above yours is the response you're looking for?

A few reason as to some of the actions of the mod in question would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

mle1324 wrote: »
    A few reason as to some of the actions of the mod in question would be nice.

The Master wrote: »

Sorry again to those who want specific answers to specific questions but I’m unable at this time to go through the entire thread and give full answers to everybody.

I will however when I get the chance again.

Further apologies to those who wish to respond to this comment but it could be several days or longer before I can post again

Did you even read the masters post???

kinkstr wrote: »
    Did you even read the masters post???

yea,i did.but it still doesent answer his bad actions.
    And yes i do know that he is out of the country and dont mind waiting but i was only answering Minesajackdaniels question:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mle1324 wrote: »
    yea,i did.but it still doesent answer his bad actions.
    And yes i do know that he is out of the country and dont mind waiting but i was only answering Minesajackdaniels question:)

Why exactly do you want this. Has he not said he will amend his behaviour due to feedback received. Seems you want to continue the witch-hunt!

Fair enough everybody deserves a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Yes, he can't answer because he's out of the country. I didn't know that the internet was an irish only computer network.

Where is he....the Actic or the Antarctic? Because these are about the only two places I can think of where you might have an issue getting a net connection these days, when even kips in the poorest parts of Africa are Internet enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

....or he could be working, and cba seeing what's happening on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

bSlick wrote: »
    Yes, he can't answer because he's out of the country. I didn't know that the internet was an irish only computer network.
    Where is he....the Actic or the Antarctic? Because these are about the only two places I can think of where you might have an issue getting a net connection these days, when even kips in the poorest parts of Africa are Internet enabled.

Or the Canary Islands (yes, there's internet, if you really want it, which you won't at 30 degrees in the shade). Or anyplace you're working on a contract basis. And the Antarctic actually has decent connectivity these days, if only for part of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

or
    The Master wrote: »
    This is the first time in ages I’ve been able to log in without being kicked off by a web filter within seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

I think its all academic really.....

Surprise, surprise, it seems The Master wasnt being a power-crazed loony after all, he's taken on board the concerns of the airsoft forum users, and agreed to adjust his moderation style.
    Fair play to you Rob - I knew it was all a misunderstanding.

Frankly, thats more than you see in most of these types of Feedback threads, and he's to be commended for his excellent attitude. I dont think he owes anyone anything at this point, and perhaps we should let this thread go, knowing an amicable solution was reached and we're all happy little bunnies in airsoft once more.

At least until the next time the media discover us :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

:D cant we all just get along.... Shiva for President!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement