Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-handed Mod in Airsoft forum

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Well i came on to post about somthing else airsoft related in feedback and 2 hours later im still reading this,I gave up airsofting not long after the master started moderating and recently i have returned so i cant really comment on the moderation of the forum, but im going to suggest if its such a big deal to split the news thread into 2 threads(1 for discussion)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

bSlick wrote: »
    Yes, he can't answer because he's out of the country. I didn't know that the internet was an irish only computer network.

Where is he....the Actic or the Antarctic? Because these are about the only two places I can think of where you might have an issue getting a net connection these days, when even kips in the poorest parts of Africa are Internet enabled.

Are you for real?

I know any time I leave the country the last thing I'm going to be doing is hitting boards to do a bit of moderating. And that's when I'm just relaxing. I would imagine Rob is even less concerned with boards as he's away working.

Internet - Not really that serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Whatever about anything else, the gripe you have with Airsoft News is entirely unrealistic. For people like myself, who visit the forum regularly but not daily, do you realise how much of a pain it is to open a thread called 'Airsoft News' to find pages of 'that looks so cool lol'? People should be able to read the news without having to wade through unrelated and pointless comments before finding it. Most forums have such a thread...in B&U there's a Bargain Alerts. No chat is allowed for the simple reason that chat obscures the bargain alerts, stops people from seeing them and makes it a chore to try and find them in the first place. That is why I do not believe that ban threats following warnings over taking such a topic off-topic is harsh. If people can't take a warning and subsequently are disrupting the entire purpose of the thread continuously, ban away I say. People have been banned in B&U for those reasons - best way of learning if words don't suffice. It's about the interests of the forum in general and preserving the point of it.
    Are you for real?

I know any time I leave the country the last thing I'm going to be doing is hitting boards to do a bit of moderating. And that's when I'm just relaxing. I would imagine Rob is even less concerned with boards as he's away working.

Internet - Not really that serious business.

Couldn't have said it better. As I've said I'm not a daily visitor to the airsoft forum but I've always found the moderation there generally fair and impartial. The point relating to the banning of the user thereafter referred to a tard is also fair in my opinion - lets be realistic here, for a second? Making that sort of a joke does make the joker a bit of a tard, does it not? I'm not entirely condoning it but neither am I condemning it, for the simple reason that a comment like that which is solely made in reaction to an action is normally pretty justified.

Also in relation to the examples Gerrowdat posted as to what was apparently to construe evidence of heavy handed modding; several of the threads in question has either run their course by my understanding, with one even having the OP request it closed. Eh...really not detecting the allegedly zealous modding. Just very strict moderation which isn't instantly equatable to poor modding.

What I see, largely, is a lot of people who seem to want the Airsoft forum to be their own personal posting space, largely unregulated....some of the people who have already posted on this thread - and no disrespect intended, nor am I mentioning names - post the utmost bebo-esque drivel on that forum that I like to read every few days but often have to wade through trying to find useful comments. If that's the sort of crap that The Master is so ruthlessly vigilant in cleaning up then fair play to him. The airsoft forum might immediately seen to be home to regular players and posters but there's also a large amount of people who read the forum frequently but don't contribute much.

Anyway, all that aside...for flip sake lad's its the internet. Sorry I'm probably way too late on this discussion and my points have probably been raised elsewhere but just to add my own input anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

While its obvious some of you are defending the mod in question and the reasons why there hasn't been any response,

It is perfectly reasonable to assume that some responce would have been posted by now. it was a long time ago and yet nothing has been said on the matter from any higher powers.

Gandalf, Your witch hunt comment implies there was one to begin with,

Terrorfirmer, your points of the master being perfectly reasonable with his modding powers are ridiculous. One strong example of which is the mood on the airsoft forum in the absence of the master, there has been very little in the way of contraversary in the time since this thread was started wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Masada wrote: »
    It is perfectly reasonable to assume that some responce would have been posted by now.
    One has been. It's also been pointed out that The Master is out of the country working. Frankly, coming in here and demanding that he drop everything and jump to the height you specify is a bit reflective on your understanding of the nature of forums and moderating.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    One has been. It's also been pointed out that The Master is out of the country working. Frankly, coming in here and demanding that he drop everything and jump to the height you specify is a bit reflective on your understanding of the nature of forums and moderating.

Again, Sparks sensationalising and adding what isn't there. you should work in the media. and I understand the forums perfectly well, I partake in them and have done for 2 years, and you don't.

If there's something more you would like to add, please do so without the childishness and over reactionary style with which you have already shown. I wouldn't like to see this thread derailed with this type of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,961 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It is perfectly reasonable to assume that some responce would have been posted by now. it was a long time ago and yet nothing has been said on the matter from any higher powers.

He has been out of the country for quite some time working on (from what I gathered from his PMs) quite large and involving projects. This is not me on here defending him. This is me stating a fact about his current whereabouts.

As I previously said, boards is more than likely way down on his list of priorities at the moment. It sure would be on mine.

He has already replied on this thread saying he would adjust his moderating. What else is needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The Master wrote: »
    Sorry it’s taken me so long to respond but I’ve been out of the country working.

This is the first time in ages I’ve been able to log in without being kicked off by a web filter within seconds.

I’ve only had time to scan briefly through this thread but the gist of it seems to be I’m being far too harsh and not explaining my Mod decisions enough.

This will change immediately.

Several members of the Airsoft community whom I respect highly have made their case known and I have endeavoured to take on board what they have said from what I have gathered from my brief reading of this thread.

Airsoft as a sport and the Airsoft forum mean a lot to me and I would hate to see it affected badly in any way.

Sorry again to those who want specific answers to specific questions but I’m unable at this time to go through the entire thread and give full answers to everybody.

I will however when I get the chance again.

Further apologies to those who wish to respond to this comment but it could be several days or longer before I can post again

jesus christ...is this thread still going on?
    The mod said he'd change his moderation of the forum.
    What more do you want? burn him at the stake..
    I'll normally disagree with the mods but I think this is the first time a Mod has said he'd change his moderation in a forum. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gandalf, Your witch hunt comment implies there was one to begin with,

Based on the fact you and others are still posting here when Rob has said he will address the crux of your "issues" I think the witch hunt is alive and well.

You are all great blokes face to face but some when they get behind their keyboards are the biggest pains in the scrotes I have come across from all the forums I have modded on boards (including Soccer and Politics!).

He has said he will address the concerns, this thread should be left at that.

Now I am doing what I dropped being a mod for tomorrow which is getting married here in France so I won't be looking at boards for a while (if thats ok with you all :D)

o1s1n wrote: »
    He has been out of the country for quite some time working on (from what I gathered from his PMs) quite large and involving projects. This is not me on here defending him. This is me stating a fact about his current whereabouts.

As I previously said, boards is more than likely way down on his list of priorities at the moment. It sure would be on mine.

He has already replied on this thread saying he would adjust his moderating. What else is needed?
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    jesus christ...is this thread still going on?
    The mod said he'd change his moderation of the forum.
    What more do you want? burn him at the stake..
    I'll normally disagree with the mods but I think this is the first time a Mod has said he'd change his moderation in a forum. ;)
    gandalf wrote: »
    Based on the fact you and others are still posting here when Rob has said he will address the crux of your "issues" I think the witch hunt is alive and well.

You are all great blokes face to face but some when they get behind their keyboards are the biggest pains in the scrotes I have come across from all the forums I have modded on boards (including Soccer and Politics!).

He has said he will address the concerns, this thread should be left at that.

Now I am doing what I dropped being a mod for tomorrow which is getting married here in France so I won't be looking at boards for a while (if thats ok with you all :D)

Right, lets just set a few things straight,
    My latest post has nothing to do with persuing further action against the master. I was simply supporting the poster mle in what seems like an over reactionary response to his question about reasoning/justification of some of the issues raised earlier in the thread.

I don't expect any further action in this case to be taken againt the master but in threads like this it would make sense to have closure of the issue by one of the FB mods posting "mod has agreed to adjust" blah blah blah, leaving the thread the way it was leaves people wondering what exactly went on.

For the mod to say he will adjust his modding style is perfectly alright with me, i wouldn't want anything more. but he did say it might be several days before he could respond. i suppose some of the posters after him were expecting him to do so. again, i dont need anything further, but quite frankly some of your responces to those who posted after the master are uncalled for and appear overly defensive simply because he is a mod.

Also It seems a few of you don't take any interest in the thread or post anything constructive until theres something you can bite on, like a pack of vultures. as per usual, these latest responses to my post are disproportionate.

Gandalf, again you have tried to come in here and discredit the legitimacy of the argument with sensationalism and even lower, personal insult.Your argument doesn't hold any water.
    In reading back on the thread, very little of what you have posted has been constructive and has often been offensive and personally offencive while myself and most of the others have remained civil and respectful throughout. From someone I would have classed as a good moderator on both the airsoft forum and from back on the photography forum, I'm actually disappointed in you,

Ladies anf gentlemen, can we call this the end of the arguement? The objective has been reached and all thats left to gain from this thread is further insult.

Richie,

PS, I just want to say fair play to the master for taking it on the chin and acknowledging his mistakes. it takes a bigger man to do so and not to hide behind the mods badge, he'll be a better mod from it.

I'll put one on the table for ya at the next airsoft beers. ;) A beers that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I don't get this.

In post #138, The Master came online, admitted that he had made mistakes in the past, and stated he would change from here on out.

He had explained why he had been offline to date. He promised to change immediately. He also explained that at the time of posting he was unable to address the specific incidents, blow by blow, that were raised in the thread - but to be honest, in my opinon that's just fine when you've already said "You know what, you're right, I'm sorry, I'll change immediately".

That's why, when Moggser posted #139, I replied in #140 stating I would have thought that The Master's response on #138 should be satisfactory.

I don't understand what else you want?

The Airsoft forum members complained about their mod.

Their complaint was upheld, their mod has apologised, their mod has guaranteed he will change his tactics with immediate effect.

But the Airsoft forum members, in the confused exchange from post #138 onwards - it was almost as though you guys hadn't realised what was posted in post #138, still felt you should have further explanations, further

Even your own post, Masada, #155, where you said:
    While its obvious some of you are defending the mod in question and the reasons why there hasn't been any response,

...looks as though you totally missed post #138.

So I don't get it. What more were you guys looking for? What more do you think you could reasonably have expected, past an acknowledgement of your complaint, an apology for not having a quicker response, an apology for mistakes past and a resolution to change with immediate effect?

Seriously - I'm not being sarcastic or anything else, I seriously cannot understand what else you could have realisitcally expected, and that's what I'm getting at here?

I note you say:
    in threads like this it would make sense to have closure of the issue by one of the FB mods posting "mod has agreed to adjust" blah blah blah

...but why, in all seriousness, do you need other mods to comment when the mod who has been complained about addresses those complaints, apologises and agrees to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

In the course of pursuing a feedback thread, legitimately, but also uncomfortably as we all tend to know each other, arguments happened.

That that spilled over a few posts is no amazing thing, surprise surprise, some off-topicness in human conversation and resolution of issues.

IMO, this is a testament of a thread mostly, to how feedback should be done, a few hiccups sure, but with honest and well intentioned complaints, and well received by the person whom it was aimed at.

A win win tbh.

I have been waiting for a further response and all, but I don't demand one immediately, the last Master post indicated his positive attitude to the feedback received. Egos aside, there is no issue for now, and there is no need to attack any poster personally for their desire for closure, and the guarantee that their efforts have achieved their goal, a better forum as moulded in the best interests of its users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement