Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom to IBB question

Options
  • 17-06-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

the gf is pulling the plug on my eircom bb, we have the 7.6 business lite package, works out around 80 a month
    she's cutting costs in the house, and see's this bill as an unnecessary expense [/jawdrop] ! :D
    i have conceded that ibb 4mb package will do, but my main concern is do they throttle torrent traffic, i dl a good bit, eircom were great, i'd always get 700ks + if i had good seeds
    i'm worried about ibb tho, can any one shed some light please
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why not drop to a cheaper eircom package? If you it works, why take the risk of changing?

Why not put the line in your name, then no one can cancel it on you. Broadband is not an unnecessary expense, any more than nice shoes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

the eircom bb itself is only 40e, and it is in my name,
    its the line rental and vat and very few calls are making up the other 40 are the problem
    i could get the 3mb package which is more then half of my current speed, and is only a tenner cheaper, eff that not worth it
    ill go to ibb, if i can get confirmation torrenting works or can be forced to work !
    i'm not looking for any tutorials, just anyone that has ibb can confirm or deny torrent use on ibb, and how does it's performance work out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've never seen anything to suggest that IBB do anything to torrent traffic, but they do enforce their caps (since taken over by Imagine). This could be a problem for someone who has a lot of P2P traffic which will eat up those (low) caps fairly fast.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eircom seem to have two 3Mb bundles for around 50 and 6o euros. Do you make many phone calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kcools

jor el wrote: »
    I've never seen anything to suggest that IBB do anything to torrent traffic, but they do enforce their caps (since taken over by Imagine). This could be a problem for someone who has a lot of P2P traffic which will eat up those (low) caps fairly fast.

I've been with Imagine for a few months now - get good dl speeds torrenting depending on seeds obviously (up to 800kbs). With regard to the caps you can get an extra 60gb for an extra €0.95 I think - can't remember exactly how much it is but it's not much.

I'm on the 3meg package (20gb dl limit + my extra 60gb). Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

kcools wrote: »
    I've been with Imagine for a few months now - get good dl speeds torrenting depending on seeds obviously (up to 800kbs). With regard to the caps you can get an extra 60gb for an extra €0.95 I think - can't remember exactly how much it is but it's not much.

I'm on the 3meg package (20gb dl limit + my extra 60gb). Hope that helps.
    hi thanks, is that imagine dsl
    i'm interested to know about their Breeze 4mb fixed wireless product

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

yeah thats on DSL i have it atm,

there's no caps ont he breeze and you get a fairly chufty upload speed too

johnciall wrote: »
    yeah thats on DSL i have it atm,

there's no caps ont he breeze and you get a fairly chufty upload speed too
    ya the up should be good for my gaming, i am concerned about torrenting on breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

IBB do not throttle breeze in any way in my experience I've used torrents on it and downloaded some huge amounts and never been throttled, having said that it's a while since I've had them so they may have changed their policy.

Advertisement