Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some very interesting stats on subs in the UFC.

Options
  • 17-06-2009 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

This is not my data. I have copied and pasted a post from another forum. Just found the info very informative and quite an eye openner.

BASICS BASICS BASICS

See below....

"Whats the most common submission used in the UFC?" This is a fairly common question thats asked, yet one that seems to be lacking in definative answers. People have their opinions, usually armbar or RNC, and there are sometimes numbers that are cited. Yet I've never seen a card by card breakdown of submission victories, to see which submissions are used and how frequently. So I decided to do it myself.

Here are my results, I'll get into more detail below.

The total submissions from all UFC events, including fight nights and ultimate fighter finales, from 1-99.

1-99update.gif

assortedsubmissions.gif

See the full post here for more info
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/common-ufc-submissions-study-numbers-996001/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Not one gogoplata or omaplata and very few leg locks of any sort.

Triangles don't figures so high either. 50% of the subs are armbars and Rear Naked Chokes.

Its the basic manouveures done well with proper setups that count. Just good to have some stats that show it.

Would be interesting to see the percentage of fights that finished by
    SUB
    KO striking
    TKO/GNP
    Decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Only the one toe hold? I assume thats frank mir's on tank then?

Yeah. It's sort of mad that only one toe hold was used in over 100 UFC events

These stats are probably more interesting for those that train rather than the observer of the sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Did he toehold Ian Freeman?

No I think he tried to submit Freeman by bashing his face against Ian's hand repeatedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Nah. He lost to him because he didnt wanna give up a heel hook. He did it to tank. Tanks foot changed shape completely.
    Take it the "other" section is the likes of gi chokes body locks and of course Royce's 1st sub in the ufc, the mount. Still can never get that tap no matter how much I watch it. The grape vine wasn't even that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Anyone have diagrams on the submissions in the assorted section? there's a few that I've heard of but never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

lafors wrote: »
    Anyone have diagrams on the submissions in the assorted section? there's a few that I've heard of but never seen.

you tube is your friend, would be very hard to describe them or diagram them for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Jason Mc wrote: »
    No I think he tried to submit Freeman by bashing his face against Ian's hand repeatedly

...whilst going for a heel hook

the Mir hating continues :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Take it the "other" section is the likes of gi chokes body locks and of course Royce's 1st sub in the ufc, the mount. Still can never get that tap no matter how much I watch it. The grape vine wasn't even that bad.

According to a book I read he basically tapped because he was scared. He was told beforehand that if Royce got a submission he would break bones so he decided to tap before that happened. Plus, unlike most of the others he was paid just for getting in the cage.

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »

N/s choke is probably the North/South choke which would have been Monson vs Hinkle. Also called the Monson or Garcia or Jim choke, altough they are not identical. http://i44.tinypic.com/2itfp7q.jpg

P. necktie is the peruvian necktie, which would have been CB Dolloway vs Jeese Taylor. I have been trying this for months, and still cant get it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

According to a book I read he basically tapped because he was scared. He was told beforehand that if Royce got a submission he would break bones so he decided to tap before that happened. Plus, unlike most of the others he was paid just for getting in the cage.

apparently he had a boxing fight the following week

has anyone else in the UFC ever tapped out for little or no reason bar fear?

...whilst going for a heel hook

the Mir hating continues :rolleyes:

I don't dislike Mir. I think he is a top class fighter. Just a bit hard to stand, he comes across as cocky

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Awesome find.

Just watched that fight.

Did anyone here go to UFC 38?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

P. necktie is the peruvian necktie, which would have been CB Dolloway vs Jeese Taylor. I have been trying this for months, and still cant get it.

C'mon dunk, we have been through this :D bet its cause your arms are bent instead of deadlift locked out, dont forget to motorcycle kick with your leg thats on his head, My favourite submission at the moment, got bored with darce.

Here is one Darragh landed recently at EFR sub Tournie at 1m 30 in vid.

Not surprised to see chokes figure so highly, since once a choke is in, its in and there is no way of escaping with genetically twisty elbows or knees etc. Leg locks are dangerous to go for as you can if you arent careful expose your own leg and if you miss the sub you invariably give away position.

rovert wrote: »
    Just watched that fight.

Did anyone here go to UFC 38?

funny u ask I was there

I was actually at the place where Tito got slapped by Lee Murray unforrtunately I just missed the whole incident

funny u ask I was there

I was actually at the place where Tito got slapped by Lee Murray unforrtunately I just missed the whole incident

Ill should probably make a spilt thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Its the basic manouveures done well with proper setups that count. Just good to have some stats that show it.

SUB
    KO striking
    TKO/GNP
    Decisions

I'd say that it's also because there have been a hell of a lot more armbars and RNCs attempted than omoplatas and other more advanced submissions

I'm almost certain that Sherdog keep track of those stats that you want. I haven't looked at them in a long time but they've got a lot of data

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Royce's 1st sub in the ufc, the mount.

Royce v Art J.

strange carry on. tab out at about 6:20

• Advertisement

C'mon dunk, we have been through this :D bet its cause your arms are bent instead of deadlift locked out, dont forget to motorcycle kick with your leg thats on his head, My favourite submission at the moment, got bored with darce.

Here is one Darragh landed recently at EFR sub Tournie at 1m 30 in vid.

Hangs his head in shame......havent trained much at all last few months, so at least I have some form of excuse. Need to keep working on it though. :( Great sub Darragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Judomad

apparently he had a boxing fight the following week

has anyone else in the UFC ever tapped out for little or no reason bar fear?

Jo Son tapped to a forearm across his throat after about 22 shots to the bollox!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Judomad wrote: »
    Jo Son tapped to a forearm across his throat after about 22 shots to the bollox!!
    A forearm choke? Wat a pussy!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Very interesting.. Armbar, rnc, guillotine.. All reliable as expected.

I'd be interested to see submissions broke down by base - Like BJJ base, Wrestling base and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not that surprizing really, the top ten esp,
    was a bit surprised that there was never a omaplata or gogoplata, to the extent that i'd almost question it, almost

SUB
    KO striking
    TKO/GNP
    Decisions

From Sherdog

Overall Finishing Method Statistics
    Percentage Submission = 45.62
    Percentage KO/TKO = 31.01
    Percentage Decision = 17.05
    Other (Drawn, NCs, or Unknown) = 6.32

Mellor wrote: »
    From Sherdog

Overall Finishing Method Statistics
    Percentage Submission = 45.62
    Percentage KO/TKO = 31.01
    Percentage Decision = 17.05
    Other (Drawn, NCs, or Unknown) = 6.32

Excellent. I had a look on shedog but couldn't find these...

Bare in mind, the Sherdog data-base isn't very well maintained.
    In the top 20 ways to finish a fight RNC appears twice, once as Rear Naked and once as Rear-Naked.

Thinking about the stats in the OP.
    Its likely that, some of the rarer subs were mis-identified in what ever database the info was taken from.
    ie omaplata was noted as armbar, gogoplata as a triangle etc

I don't ever recall seeing either of them and I think I've seen at least 80% of all fights that ever happened in the UFC.

I suppose you can read into the figures whatever way you choose but to me it just means that the fundamentals done well are what will win fights.

The fancier subs might work when u aren't getting your face elbowed or if you are rolling with another JJ guy but that all changes when you add someone with a different set of skills and mindset (i.e. a wrassler).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Kimura, I am surprised that it even got 4%, an interesting find.

Advertisement