Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is linking to my photo - help !

• 17-06-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help me ?

The following photo is getting a handful of hits a day and is now at 226 hits which suggests that it is being linked somewhere but I cant find where. I am not too bothered with it being linked but would be interested in seeing where

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rorywilliams/3188777295/

Most of the hits come from images.search.yahoo.com

I have tried to look using reverse DNA for flickr but no joy

Any thoughts anyone

Thanks

Rory

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sounds like yahoo image search then?

It should show up in your stats for that image anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

This picture gets a constant stream of views, mostly from Yahoo image search. If you look at the stats for the picture, you can see a referrer link. In the case of yahoo image searches, you can actually see what is being searched for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

If you do a Yahoo Image search for "Rubber Ducks", your image comes up 9th... out of 44,419. Congrats! ;)

Oh and you're coming in 4th on the "Yellow Rubber Ducks" search! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Sounds like yahoo image search then?

It should show up in your stats for that image anyway

it says its coming from yahoo image search but I cant believe so many people look for "Yellow Rubber Ducks" on Yahoo Image Search every day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

gary82 wrote: »
    Oh and you're coming in 4th on the "Yellow Rubber Ducks" search! :P

fame !

There's 6.7billion in this world, I'd well believe it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I get weird unexpected repeat searches all the time. This picture used to get on average 8 or 9 hits a day from people searching yahoo images for the word "trilobite" last year, then it tailed off and only happens occasionally now (it's always been at position 4 or 5 on yahoo images when you search). I put it down to some brief ephemeral trilobite fad that swept the world for a few crazy months :rolleyes:

303163456_248a48ab96_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

That is not the way most search engines work. It's probably not even a human searching it. Search engines use bots which search out information and index it. You'd hardly think that these search engines are able to trawl the web for tens of thousands of pages in a matter of mere decimal seconds would you? Bots index all of the information it can find, and when you search for a result, you simply are retrieving those indexes from their databases. So, what you have there is in all probability either a miss indexed result in their database, or else you're generating hits from the image search's bots for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Zaraba may be able to help?

http://members.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60619976&postcount=620

SEO tracking for photos is becoming big business and is not as easy as for text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

one of my photos on flickr is TOP of a google search.... but only if you search for ''fantastic knockers'' :D.

hmmm...... only 59 views though..... which must mean most people are just searching for ''average knockers''? :confused:

[edit: now 61.... curiosity got to some of ye i take it?! :D]

I get a top result if you do a google image search for 'sandyford sky'. Can't seem to find any single word that gets me the top spot though ...

-edit- 'ragged bronica' #1 :-) -edit-

Anyone else ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

One of mine used to come in No.9 if you typed in Topshop into Google image from a shoot I did for one of their designers. Mad, considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

this one of mine is second in google when you search "mutefish" don't know why but it's now my most viewes photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Some of my shots on Flickr of the O2 during construction have been getting hundreds of hits from the Michael Jackson Community for well over a month now !

Its gas when he's susposed to be playing the O2 in london not dublin:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

gary82 wrote: »
    There's 6.7billion in this world, I'd well believe it! :)

1.5 billion with net access though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Lemon White Background gets me No 1 on google image search - ususally get a handful of hits in flickr everyday on account of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I may be wrong, but I thought the ranking Google gives to search results is partially based on your most searched/visited sites (how they collect this information I don't know). So for example, kateos2, your Mutefish pic might come up second when you search, but doesn't even come up on the first page for me when I search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's hard to figure out, I've a shot on my photoblog which has got over 1300 views almost all through google images, yet the same shot on flickr has only 20.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

searching for 'ulster Bank Headquarters' in google (not image search) gets me this in 4th position...Cool!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I have a heap of them on google images and yahoo images. Doesn't bother me at all. I also have a load of them linked to from various forums though, and I didn't post them there.

I may be wrong, but I thought the ranking Google gives to search results is partially based on your most searched/visited sites (how they collect this information I don't know). So for example, kateos2, your Mutefish pic might come up second when you search, but doesn't even come up on the first page for me when I search.

LOL

So google is turning us all into solipsists. Self centred egotists :D

"When I do a google search only MY stuff comes up" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Here's a stats grab I just took
    i703341_stats.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Joining the Irish Webmaster Forum might be a useful move?

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/search-engine-optimisation/9043-google-analytics.html

The science of SEO has me bewildered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Anouilh wrote: »
    Joining the Irish Webmaster Forum might be a useful move?

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/search-engine-optimisation/9043-google-analytics.html

The science of SEO has me bewildered.

It's not science, it's voodoo. Anyone offering an opinion to the contrary is part of a pyramid scheme.

If you have material worth finding, it will be found.

Advertisement