Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pilgrimage Croagh Patrick

Options
  • 17-06-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi - just wondering is it really busy in westport for the pilgrimage weekend. A group os us are thinking of climbing the mountain and were thinking of doing it on 25th July, as far as i know the pilgrimage is 26th so would that mean the mountain would be really busy - or would we find it hard to find accommodation??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Weekend of Reek Sunday tends to be one of the busier visitors' weekends in Westport.

Most of thos climbing the Reek come and go same day and don't stay over, but but it is a popular time for Westport people abroad to return on holiday.

You should book accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

most people drive to it and return home same day

best time to do it is about 6 in morning roughly 1 and half hours to do it

you will missing the large crowds coming down or flying down
    i think it is harder coming down because you have no balance
    the rocks are very loose at the top very dangerous

good boots and large hazel stick needed it save me dozens of time
    plenty of water and a spare set of clothes and towels as it could rain

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dennistuam wrote: »

1.5 hours to go up and down???

The cone is the worst and is lose but if you keep to the track there is more grip.

sorry meant one and half hours roughly up
    probabbly less going down
    yop what do you reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

Hey guys, seven of us going up this year we planing on going up saturday and camping out somewhere.
    Can anyone recommend a decent campsite in the area

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sorry meant one and half hours roughly up
    probabbly less going down
    yop what do you reckon

Thats more reasonable for sure. It all depends on the persons fitness levels, somewhat active people will do it in 1.5 up and 1 hour done, but it can take up to 2 or 3 hours if your a person who is not used to exercise.

The record is 42 minutes if anyone want to break that! :)

There is a campsite about 1/4 mile past the church in Lecanvey, which is about 1.5 miles from Murrisk/the Croagh Patrick carpark.

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/Towns/Westport/Gannon.htm
    Tel + 353 (0) 98 64860

The 42 minute record YOP refers to may have been during last years Gaelforce event.

Records should not be encouraged - because of the loose stones it is a dangerous mountain especially in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

There's a campsite at Old Head beach, which isn't too far from Murrisk. I'd imagine that it'd be pretty quiet though. If you're looking for a livelier place to camp, maybe try Westport House-there's always lots of people around there. Good luck with the climb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

I always start up the Mountain at 5:30. There is lots of parking at the bottom. Its not so crowded and if the weather is fine its also no so warm. I would do the climb on the sunday. Its all part of the experience. Just don't start at 10 or 11, you will have to park miles from the base and there will be a lot more people to contend with.

Most important, bring water and a stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Hi all
    Just a quick question.

Myself and my girlfriend intend on climbing the reek this weekend. Will be first time for both of us.
    With plenty of rain and generally poor conditions promised is it advisable to climb or will it just make it that bit more difficult?

I don't want us to be the only plebs climbing when maybe its not a good idea :confused:

Cheers
    Bull

You must be joking if you are going to climb in the rain. !

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Ok so I presume you are trying to be smart. If not maybe tell me more as to why its not a good idea.

Conditions are expected to be awful the weekend. I've never climbed the reek before so was wondering what I was letting myself in for.
    Thanks

First Stage
    From Cambells pub to the st patrick is a handy stage
    Middle stage
    is basically narrow footpaths some very close to a drain
    a lot of people complain about a lack of air as it is sort of in a valley
    but it is generally fine
    Final stage
    this is were your boots and hazel stick is wanted
    basically you have to imagine youself climding on the biggest load of broken rock no grip
    the only thing on the plus is there is tracks made but you have watch out for them
    very flat at the church but a serious view from there worth

going down very dangerous with loose rocks
    you tend to go forward a bit more

Be very careful climbing Croagh Patrick in wet weather - path is over stones and rocks. They get slippy in wet weather. Have adequate clothes, raingear, and footwear. Bring drinking water. Stay on the path. Mist can come down quickly and it is easy lose you bearings if you do not know the mountain.

Enjoy. Think of the many who have climbed before you, christians and pagans ( There is evidence that it was a place of worship long before St Patrick got there )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Wouldn't do it in the rain, sure when you get up there it's not worth it, you'd have no view due to the clouds (and the view is amazing), going down is harder than going up I would say, I would advise bring a walking stick (or hiring one out at the foot of Croagh Patrick) if the weather is hot, do bring plenty to drink, I know it can be tiresome carrying heavy bottles but you will need them (we went up in the midday sun, was so glad to have had enough water)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lexi1985

I was just wondering if there is anyone climbing Croagh Patrick on the last sunday of July that would be interested in taking part in a short documentary? It would mean a quick interview before that date and then we'd film you climbing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Dont forget the choc chip tracker bars ... Mighty for that boost of energy

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Weather promised really bad, hope everyone doing it gets up and down safely and without incident.
    Be careful & dont rush anyone in front of you - someone used me last year to get their balance & in the process sent me tumbling downwards. Its very scary coming down I think.
    Good luck!

buzz55 wrote: »
    Weather promised really bad, hope everyone doing it gets up and down safely and without incident.
    Be careful & dont rush anyone in front of you - someone used me last year to get their balance & in the process sent me tumbling downwards. Its very scary coming down I think.
    Good luck!

Went up at 7:30 no rain the whole way up and down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

We did the climb yesterday (Saturday)for the first time. 2 and half hours up and 2 hours down. Was fantastic. Were not very fit so just took our time... and it was well worth it. The weather was great and the views at the top were brilliant. We started at 1pm and got back down just after 6

The worse bit was about 3/4 of the way down. We were tired and ankles and knees were sore. That statue at the bottom was moving... further away from us :) and it felt like there was just no end to it.

Im a big ball of pain today but ill deffo do it again. It was a big personal acheivement for both of us.

And I agree with the others... using a stick is a life-saver... especially coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Carter12 wrote: »
    We did the climb yesterday for the first time. 2 and half hours up and 2 hours down. Was fantastic. Were not very fit so just took our time... and it was well worth it. The weather was great and the views at the top were brilliant. We started at 1pm and got back down just after 6

The worse bit was about 3/4 of the way down. We were tired and ankles and knees were sore. That statue at the bottom was moving... further away from us :) and it felt like there was just no end to it.

Im a big ball of pain today but ill deffo do it again. It was a big personal acheivement for both of us.

And I agree with the others... using a stick is a life-saver... especially coming down.

Well done
    Its a great acheivement to get up and down that climb, the last bit at the top is mad with all the losse stone.

I was scared by the amount of eejits dragging their young kids up there yesterday, when it was clearly observed the kids didnt even want to get out of bed never mind climbing straight up a wall in the wind and rain at 7am in the morning.
    And I heard on the news that the biggest incidents the mountain rescue had to deal with was kids with hypothermia.
    The parents should be made climb the reek 3 times in one day for their penence.

glad to hear it was trouble free apart from the six scanily clad kids that got wind chill:mad:

Advertisement