Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 17-06-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi ,

I am new to all this but was wondering if I could get some advice off people who know more about the subject than me. I am currently living at home with my parents and my three year old son in toe but am hoping to move out soon, give everyone a bit more freedom. I am working part time (15 hours a week) and am in receipt of the lone parent supplement. In september, I have applied to go back to college to do a masters so I presume all I will be entitled to will be lone parent and child benefit. Can you apply for rental allowance straight away or do you have to be living in the accomodation a certain amount of time? Also how much would you expect to pay on rent if you were entitled to rental allowance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

A while ago they changed the system so you have to have been renting for 6 months before you could be entitled to apply for rent allowance. I heard they changed the system again to allow for people who NEEDED to get out of where they were.
    Given the current circumstances I would say that they are stricter on the process now. As with most things I am sure there are ways and means to get it such as claiming your parents threw you out.

Essentially what you are currently suggesting is it would be nice to have your own place for you, child and your parents. Being nice about it I don't see why you should get it given the benifits you are currently recieving. Are you getting an maintence money? There are a million different situations but I don't want to pri

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sunlover

Thanks for replying.

I'm not receiving any maintenance. A friend of mine who is after having a baby was convinced that she is entitled to rental allowance and is currently looking for an apartment. I has asked about if she needed to be in residence for a certain amount of time but shes convinced she doesnt. Thats what got me thinking. Realistically there are worse people worse off out there than me at the moment. Im thinking the best thing for me at the moment is to stay where I am until economy picks up, I can get another job and afford to rent or build myself.

No harm in asking tho :)

Thanks again got replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Sunlover wrote: »
    Thanks for replying.

I'm not receiving any maintenance. A friend of mine who is after having a baby was convinced that she is entitled to rental allowance and is currently looking for an apartment. I has asked about if she needed to be in residence for a certain amount of time but shes convinced she doesnt. Thats what got me thinking. Realistically there are worse people worse off out there than me at the moment. Im thinking the best thing for me at the moment is to stay where I am until economy picks up, I can get another job and afford to rent or build myself.

No harm in asking tho :)

Thanks again got replying.

Well the first thing is you should get maintenance regardless assume the person isn't dead or unknown. It may sound rude to suggest this but there are multiple reason you should apply for this. The most relevant reason is to do with your child's future. It doesn't matter if you would be better off or not at present. I know nothing about you so assume nothing but you must consider why these payments exist and how they may change in the future. He has responsibility for the care of his child and if you show your child it is fine to take state hand outs and ignore your responsibilities it has long term effects.

I am sure there are people who believe they will/should get payments. This doesn't make it fact or mean it doesn't involve lying

Advertisement