Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookkeeping (Manual & Computerised) Fetac Level 5

Options
  • 17-06-2009 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I've taken a notion that I want to do a part time/evening course this autumn and I know I want to stay in the Bookkeeping/Accounts end of it as it would look good on my C.V at the end of the day I'm hoping. I've been looking at the Bookeeping (Manual & Computerised) and Accounting (Manual and Computerised)

My first question is: which one would be the better course to do?

other quick questions:
    Has anyone done these course? If so, what did you think of it?

Realistically speaking, are the courses any use if you are seeking employment - does the courses cover the necessary aspects that one would encounter in everyday employment?

Are you better doing a evening course than an online one (e.g FAS e-courses). Does the online courses help as much and explain the units well? If you cant grasp something what do you do?

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me in any way :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Vanhalla

i did this through FAS. it lasted 4 feckin months. full time. nonsense! what you actually needed to know you could have done in a week. they really treat you like thickos in that place. well some of them were thickos. anywayyyyyyy, yes it is good but like u say do it online or in the evening.
    althou u say u are workin in that field anyway yes? so you might probably know most of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

No i'm not working in that field.

As part of my degree (nothing to do with account BTW) we had a subject of Accounting for the first year but as you can imagine i wouldnt say i'd remember it all!!

How did you find the course? are you able to do the whole ledgers, sales books, trial balances etc

What course did you do??

yes they went through all the ledgers both manually and computerised. it was handy enough. we used sage software. so go ahead and do it. but dont pay over the top for it!

What would you call over the top?!!
    Would i be better going to a evening course where there is a lecturer or an e-course? the local evening course is €320 over 20 weeks.

yeah that sounds ok. go for it

• Advertisement

Which in your opinion would be better - a course held where you have a lecturer or online courseS??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dubbule

Doing a course in Fas for manual and computerised account for nine weeks. There is a maths test before hand do you know what is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 another1

i don't think it would be high mathematics ;))
    as to the poster - my experience from the reality /just subjective opinion/ - courses won't get you a job ...and I am still wondering how it's possible - people without qualifications start a job and after that the employer sends them to study...when there are already so many people with qualifications /at least on paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lucky993

@Vanhalla - would you tell me please what kind of maths test is before this course? (maybe some example)
    Thank's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I did the fas course too and like that most of us felt it went on to long. Its piss easy really, ya just have to practise it and u'll be fine.

They say u have to do a maths test but we never did one.

Its really up to u if u'd like to do it online or in a classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cutdog

hi, im doing a course in colaiste dhulaigh, business and computer's fetac level 5/6 great feeder to diploma. if your over twenty one and on welfare payment,you can get vtos payment and get paid for going to college,its wort a try before u pay for it!
    Course Content
    YEAR 1
    Business Administration, Business Calculations, Communications, Customer Services, Word Processing, Payroll, Bookkeeping, IT Skills, Cpomputer applications, Work Placement.

YEAR 2
    Accounting - Manual & Computerised, Business Law - Start your own Business, Personal Effectiveness in the Workplace, Spreadsheet Methods, Web Authoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 renats82

Hi, I signed for the Manual & Computerised Payroll and Bookkeeping course and I am afraid of the maths test. Does someone have a clue about what it will be about? Few years since I did maths.... I would appreciate any kind of help. My test will be on the 09 of September 2015

Advertisement