Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article: NCA reports surge in complaints about cars

• 17-06-2009 11:29am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

NCA reports surge in complaints about cars

17/06/2009 - 11:08:11

The National Consumer Agency says it is experiencing a surge in complaints relating to the sale of second-hand cars and car repairs.

The agency says more than 3,300 people have called its helpline in the first five months of this year with complaints about cars.

It is urging motorists to be careful when getting their cars repaired and serviced and to remember that safety comes first.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eykfojkfgbql/

NCA press release...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Another reason to do it yourself. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You see this is what happens when people dont spend the money. For years people either looked after their car properly or because of the boom , if something was wrong they just bought a new one. People loved to go to these fancy glass palaces and spend spend spend. Now because of hards times theres no way they are going to go to a rip off main dealer and they are heading to Fred in the shed. Now there are plenty of good Freds around but there are plenty of ropey chancers around too and before you know it the whole motor trade will be tarnished. Years ago people werent happy because all garages seemed like tips but now the facilities are tip top but people wont go there, they want bargain bucket again but still expect the same level of service. You can just here them now " Garages are all rip offs ". Look after it properly people and get someone reputable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You see this is what happens when people dont spend the money. For years people either looked after their car properly or because of the boom , if something was wrong they just bought a new one. People loved to go to these fancy glass palaces and spend spend spend. Now because of hards times theres no way they are going to go to a rip off main dealer and they are heading to Fred in the shed. Now there are plenty of good Freds around but there are plenty of ropey chancers around too and before you know it the whole motor trade will be tarnished. Years ago people werent happy because all garages seemed like tips but now the facilities are tip top but people wont go there, they want bargain bucket again but still expect the same level of service. You can just here them now " Garages are all rip offs ". Look after it properly people and get someone reputable.

Oh yeah?

Like a bunch of pimply teenagers whose whole "skill level" consists of plugging a computer into your car and exchanging components until the readout is clear equals "high level of service" these days?

(I exaggerate of course ...but don't give me the story that just it's a main dealers facilty that they know what they're doing)

peasant wrote: »
    Oh yeah?

(I exaggerate of course ...but don't give me the story that just it's a main dealers facilty that they know what they're doing)

No sorry I didnt mean to just suggest main dealers. Alot of dealers both new and used have spent alot investing in facilties and staff over the lsat couple of years but people just wont go in at the moment. They have preconceptions about being ripped off if the place looks to flash and expensive which of course is not the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

3,300 is a lot of people to complain.

After-sales-service seems to be the place that dealers are heading for these days, since nothing is selling as much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Another reason to do it yourself. :)

Well said!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Also, a lot of main dealers ARE overcharging.

Whether it's down to recouping costs they've spent on equipment, or labour charges the fact of the matter is that the prices some of them want are ridiculous.. and the customer won't care (or feel it's his responsibilty) to foot the bill either.

I'll use the same example I did when my own Passat needed it's timing belt/full service & brake fluid change lately:

VW Main Dealer - Dublin: €1050!
    VW Main Dealer - Meath: €950 (thereabouts)
    VW Main Dealer - Louth: €850 (incl hire of a car for the day)
    VW Main Dealer - Northern Ireland: €700

How can such a difference in price for the same job be justified if not greed and opportunism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

3,300 is astronomically high when you consider many times more people wouldn't have bothered complaining to the NCA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

Whether it's down to recouping costs they've spent on equipment, or labour charges the fact of the matter is that the prices some of them want are ridiculous.. and the customer won't care (or feel it's his responsibilty) to foot the bill either.

I'll use the same example I did when my own Passat needed it's timing belt/full service & brake fluid change lately:

VW Main Dealer - Dublin: €1050!
    VW Main Dealer - Meath: €950 (thereabouts)
    VW Main Dealer - Louth: €850 (incl hire of a car for the day)
    VW Main Dealer - Northern Ireland: €700

How can such a difference in price for the same job be justified if not greed and opportunism?

saw blackwater motors in fermoy are doing t belts from 420 e

http://www.blackwatermotors.ie/UserFiles/File/19th_March_09.pdf

But whats over charging? €500 in a main/reputable dealer to have it done right or €200 in a shed and end up one of thoses 3300 people !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

fm wrote: »
    saw blackwater motors in fermoy are doing t belts from 420 e

http://www.blackwatermotors.ie/UserFiles/File/19th_March_09.pdf

+1

Got mine done in a 03 TDi passat for 550euro main VW dealer in Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Saab Ed wrote: »
    But whats over charging? €500 in a main/reputable dealer to have it done right or €200 in a shed and end up one of thoses 3300 people !

No I agree, and as I need my car as part of my job, I believe in getting the work done on time and done right (plus I love my car anyway! :)), but how can one main dealer justify almost €400 more for the same work that another main dealer can do it for? Or even €200 more? (if we compare them with the Louth dealer in my example)

EDIT: As a one off expense (or fairly infrequent) €200 isn't the end of the world, but with the miles I do my car needs a service every 6 months-ish or less, so it adds up rapidly.

but how can one main dealer justify almost €400 more for the same work that another main dealer can do it for? Or even €200 more? (if we compare them with the Louth dealer in my example)

Do you know I really dont know! Maybe the more expensive one is stuck in the past but main dealer labour rates have been coming of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

OP does not mention whether complaints relate to main dealers or Independents.

Personally I would not go back to Main dealer for servicing again unless car was under warranty. In my experience best to find a good Independent garage & stick with him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

McSpud wrote: »
    OP does not mention whether complaints relate to main dealers or Independents.

Personally I would not go back to Main dealer for servicing again unless car was under warranty. In my experience best to find a good Independent garage & stick with him.
    Do you mean me? If so, read it again. I quoted an article based on an NCA survey which refers to both dealers and back-street outfits!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

kbannon wrote: »
    Do you mean me? If so, read it again. I quoted an article based on an NCA survey which refers to both dealers and back-street outfits!

Apologies, meant OP link.

Was errrrr.... multitasking at work...

Advertisement