Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facial hair, ladies any advice ...

• 17-06-2009 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all

Hope i have picked the correct place to post this ...

I have facial hair ...on chin and under ears ..

Yesterday i tried Veet facial hair wax strips and i may have done more damage .... it took a layer of skin and no hairs .... two massive red patches on my face and no cream is helping ....

was thinking of getting it waxed for ages and suppose i thought i DIY ... oh i regret it now ..

have had this problem since i was a teenager and its really getting to me now ... it makes me feel very uncomfortable especially in the summer when u cant really hid behind a wooly scarf :eek:

Any advice on how to reduce the irritation ...:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Hi all

Yesterday i tried Veet facial hair wax strips and i may have done more damage .... it took a layer of skin and no hairs .... two massive red patches on my face and no cream is helping ....

was thinking of getting it waxed for ages and suppose i thought i DIY ... oh i regret it now ..

have had this problem since i was a teenager and its really getting to me now ... it makes me feel very uncomfortable especially in the summer when u cant really hid behind a wooly scarf :eek:

Have you been to a doctor about this? It can be easily treated.....I was put on Dianette for acne however a lot of women are put on it for facial hair too. Might be something to look in to, definitely go to your GP, a lot can be done for you and you shouldn't have to put up with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Purple.Rain

Corb wrote: »
    Have you been to a doctor about this? It can be easily treated.....I was put on Dianette for acne however a lot of women are put on it for facial hair too. Might be something to look in to, definitely go to your GP, a lot can be done for you and you shouldn't have to put up with this.

was on it as a teenager but didnt agree with me but might say it to Doc again ....

its a horrible thing to have ... and i know the more u mess with it the more damage u do ... im always aware of it and afraid people notice ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Hi Purple.Rain

I have no advice on how to treat your irritated skin from waxing, maybe put savlon or antiseptic cream on it?
    Would you consider having laser treatment to remove the unwanted facial hair? If it's effecting your confidence it would be money well spent in my opinion! Prices of laser treatment have come down a lot too, lots of salons have special offers on!
    The best other option is to go to a salon and get waxed professionally!! It really makes a big difference, DIY waxing is a lot more difficult than it looks (I had plenty of disasters myself!:o)! Another thing I would also suggest is going on 'Dianette' the contraceptive pill as it slows down excessive hair growth so the hairs become thinner and less noticable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

oh I feel your pain! I found wax strips are rubbish are removing facial hair but the jar of warm wax works a charm for me, the one i'm using at the minute is nair microwavable. Swear by this stuff.....however if you feel like you couldn't bare to inflict any more pain on yourself, maybe get a professional to do it for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Try threading. I have that done for my eyebrows and upper lip and find it fantastic.

• Advertisement

*Lees* wrote: »
    Hi Purple.Rain

I have no advice on how to treat your irritated skin from waxing, maybe put savlon or antiseptic cream on it?
    Would you consider having laser treatment to remove the unwanted facial hair? If it's effecting your confidence it would be money well spent in my opinion! Prices of laser treatment have come down a lot too, lots of salons have special offers on!
    The best other option is to go to a salon and get waxed professionally!! It really makes a big difference, DIY waxing is a lot more difficult than it looks (I had plenty of disasters myself!:o)! Another thing I would also suggest is going on 'Dianette' the contraceptive pill as it slows down excessive hair growth so the hairs become thinner and less noticable!!

Hi there ..

I had a consultation regarding laser treatment but they wont touch me as most of my hairs are blond,ginger and light brown .... now that was a while ago .... a friend of mine went through laser treatment and it was a great help but when she stopped (pregnant) it was as bad as ever .... :(

i think ill mention it to my doc and see wat he suggests ....

kizzyr wrote: »
    Try threading. I have that done for my eyebrows and upper lip and find it fantastic.

Never thought of threading .... must see if anyone local does it ...

Has Dianette worked for anyone ....

I mean if i take it will the areas i have tampered with improve, or should I assume ill have the stubble affect forever :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

i had a really bad reaction to professional upper lip waxing, had bumps for about 2 weeks, i used Aloe Vera Gel, you can get it in most chemists. It helped a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 beefa

if you have fair skin you could have it lazered off this is the most permanent solution and in the end its just as cheap as a course of waxing/threading

• Advertisement

cherryred wrote: »
    i had a really bad reaction to professional upper lip waxing, had bumps for about 2 weeks, i used Aloe Vera Gel, you can get it in most chemists. It helped a bit

Thats why i decided to try waxing at home before heading to professionals ..

tis bad enough having a hairy face ... but redness to show it off :eek:

its sooo upsetting ...

my appearance is changing for the better at the moment (lost 3 stone) but ill not be happy till i get this under control ... :mad:

beefa wrote: »
    if you have fair skin you could have it lazered off this is the most permanent solution and in the end its just as cheap as a course of waxing/threading

Really i was told i couldnt ... but that was a while ago ...

anyone recommend somewhere in Meath,Cavan or Louth area .....

one of my local day spa's offers

Bio-Medical
    Combined Laser and iPL

anybody know anything about this ... has anyone tried it ....

Never thought of threading .... must see if anyone local does it ...

I get my threading done in the Blanchardstown shopping centre. There is a litttle place upstairs in Debenhams. Its very close to where the make up counters are. They offer a fully range of threading options for the face and neck.
    beefa wrote: »

Laser treatment on the facial area for women is not permanent. I had laser on my legs, bikini and underarms with great success. I also had it on my chin as there were one or two dark hairs there that I wanted zapped. The girl in the salon told me that hormones affect the hair on a woman's face and so the laser treatments there are affected by going on or off the Pill, changing Pill, menopause, HRT, fertility treatments etc. It is a lot of money to spend on something that is prone to changing.

I get my threading done in the Blanchardstown shopping centre. There is a litttle place upstairs in Debenhams. Its very close to where the make up counters are. They offer a fully range of threading options for the face and neck.

Laser treatment on the facial area for women is not permanent. I had laser on my legs, bikini and underarms with great success. I also had it on my chin as there were one or two dark hairs there that I wanted zapped. The girl in the salon told me that hormones affect the hair on a woman's face and so the laser treatments there are affected by going on or off the Pill, changing Pill, menopause, HRT, fertility treatments etc. It is a lot of money to spend on something that is prone to changing.

Thanks for that .... does the threading keep it under control ... how often do you get it done ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi there ..

I had a consultation regarding laser treatment but they wont touch me as most of my hairs are blond,ginger and light brown .... now that was a while ago .... a friend of mine went through laser treatment and it was a great help but when she stopped (pregnant) it was as bad as ever .... :(

i think ill mention it to my doc and see wat he suggests ....

Sorry to hear you had such a bad reaction to the wax.

There's a clinic in Dublin and one in Cork that claim to have the only FDA approved laser machine in Ireland for treatment of blond,grey and white hair.
    It's called the Aurora laser and there's some info here :http://www.ailesburyclinic.ie/bodyfacialhair.shtml
    There's also a video here of the doctor that uses the laser talking about how it works :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=resuKay3M9g

I don't know how successful it is as I've only read about it in the paper but it might be worth ringing and asking about exact success rates. Someone who had a similar thread a few weeks back said they'd had a consultation about using this laser on their blonde hair and she felt she would go ahead with it after.

Pregnancy can cause huge hormonal upheaval. That might be the reason your friend found that her hair grew back after laser treatment.

Thanks for that .... does the threading keep it under control ... how often do you get it done ...

I have strong and rapid hair growth, lucky me eh? :rolleyes: I get brows and upper lip done every 5/ 6 weeks. I do need to pluck my brows a little between treatments but nothing major. It costs me €30.00.

I have strong and rapid hair growth, lucky me eh? :rolleyes: I get brows and upper lip done every 5/ 6 weeks. I do need to pluck my brows a little between treatments but nothing major. It costs me €30.00.

Wow ..... if i got 5/6 weeks free of hair on chin id be delighted .... at the moment am afraid to say i am using razor nearly twice a day on the affected area ..... :eek: i know its terrible

my local day spa offers free consultation for laser and have 70% off at the moment .. so might go see what they say ... and gonna research threading aswell ...

thanks to you all .... glad to know im not alone :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭idunnoutellme

would you really get your chin done in a shopping centre where everyone can see? i'm sorry but i'd prefer a salon where its done behind closed doors...

you should have gone to a salon to get it done first time - but seein as the damage is done put sudocream all over the redness - that should help a good bit. dont wash or scrub your face just let it heal - may take a day or two for the redness to calm down - depending on how you pulled the strip - you may get scabs...i have had a bad experience with home wax - waxing underarms and tash :o so i feel your pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭valery

Hi all

Posted a simslar thread only today !!!I have a lot of fair facial hair i thought i could get rid of with bioxet. no joy . if yours is fair laser is not an option , other than that i believe electrolysis is the answer re. a permanent fix. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ass wrote: »
    There have been recent improvements in the science of Dianetics and Im pretty sure the church of Scientology can help you with these problems. You should stop by our offices on Abbey St. if you're interested in being helped with this problem of yours.
    Ass wrote: »
    Please... try and stay on topic.

Ass banned for a week for trolling.

would you really get your chin done in a shopping centre where everyone can see? i'm sorry but i'd prefer a salon where its done behind closed doors...

you should have gone to a salon to get it done first time - but seein as the damage is done put sudocream all over the redness - that should help a good bit. dont wash or scrub your face just let it heal - may take a day or two for the redness to calm down - depending on how you pulled the strip - you may get scabs...i have had a bad experience with home wax - waxing underarms and tash :o so i feel your pain

cant see anyone really noticing me in the window .... hehe .. but id be going for a look before id go in .....

I have used various Veet products and never had a problem before....yes I should have gone to a professional - but its an embarrising problem....

Hi all

Jesus news travels,... just got off the phone . . . one of my friends who knows my "name" on Boards tells me most of the clinics ( and seemingly theres lots of em ) will give you a free assessment no strings attached.
    seemingly theres a place in St. Anne St. I will be making an appointment tomorrow. if news is useful i will post same. :)

valery wrote: »
    Jesus news travels,... just got off the phone . . . one of my friends who knows my "name" on Boards tells me most of the clinics ( and seemingly theres lots of em ) will give you a free assessment no strings attached.
    seemingly theres a place in St. Anne St. I will be making an appointment tomorrow. if news is useful i will post same. :)

Cool ... let me know how u get on ...

Im gonna book a free consult for laser ... am sick of it at this stage ... want a more permanent fix if possible ....

let me know how u get on :o

Im gonna book a free consult for laser ... am sick of it at this stage ... want a more permanent fix if possible ....

yes, any news at all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't mean to alarm you but you should go to your doctor for advice. You may have an underlying medical condition such as PCOS. This advice was in the news recently: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8002579.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

go to your doc and get bloods done to see if all your hormone levels are in check. sometimes women can get high levels of testosterone in their body and that can cause the hair growth in the face. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into laser hair removal but just to see you wont be wasting any money on having it all burned off to have it come back because of a hormonal imbalance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

+1 for threading

chuci wrote: »
    go to your doc and get bloods done to see if all your hormone levels are in check. sometimes women can get high levels of testosterone in their body and that can cause the hair growth in the face. I'm not saying you shouldn't look into laser hair removal but just to see you wont be wasting any money on having it all burned off to have it come back because of a hormonal imbalance

will look into that , thanks.

• Advertisement

No one pays any attention to what they are doing. The first time I went there I thought everyone would stop and look (nothing wrong with my ego:o) but not a single person was interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

With light hairs you can get eletrolysis done. It can be expensive and irritated after, but I only got it the once and some of the hairs died instantly and never grew back...really have to get the rest of the sessions done though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I unfortunately have the same problem, chin/lip/mad caveman brows and have PCOS. I use 'Parissa' brand face wax (got it in Boots) which is a hot wax you heat up using a heater so it's smooth and heated consitantly through which I never get with microwavable wax. The first 3 times I waxed my lip there were some tears! But it comes with azulene oil which soothes it, I waxed at night, the redness went away by the next morning. The difference in having smoothly waxed skin is fantastic, and the regrowth now (4-5 months after starting waxing) is very different, very soft and much lighter.

Hope anyone on here with the same problem can find a solution to suit them, plenty of options out there.

With light hairs you can get eletrolysis done. It can be expensive and irritated after, but I only got it the once and some of the hairs died instantly and never grew back...really have to get the rest of the sessions done though!

yes , heard same and am following up next week/appointment.:) I am learning more re same after my "adventures "with bioxet. by the way, saw a u tube movie about some hormone imbalance and the result in a woman , almost pee`d with fright. The poor thing had hair down the side of her face just like any hairy guy. We have it easy though , dont we ??????. Fu..s sake. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

hey, just looking on boards trying to see if there is anything that could help me. Same as, I need to shave my chin twice a day and absolutely hate the summer because of beer gardens/ being outside etc! I had laser for nearly two years and think that it made it worse because i had to shave in between which I nevr did before that.

Tried waxing too but hated that I had to let it grow slightly inbetween and it brought me out in spots. A doctor has prescribed me vaniqa cream - it is 60 quid a pop but going to give it a try and see.

Seen posts from people recommending electrolisis but has anyone actually had it - does it work on everyone and is it permanent. I really need to try and find something to sort it out soon - it's driving me mad! thansk

evorg wrote: »
    hey, just looking on boards trying to see if there is anything that could help me. Same as, I need to shave my chin twice a day and absolutely hate the summer because of beer gardens/ being outside etc! I had laser for nearly two years and think that it made it worse because i had to shave in between which I nevr did before that.

Tried waxing too but hated that I had to let it grow slightly inbetween and it brought me out in spots. A doctor has prescribed me vaniqa cream - it is 60 quid a pop but going to give it a try and see.

Seen posts from people recommending electrolisis but has anyone actually had it - does it work on everyone and is it permanent. I really need to try and find something to sort it out soon - it's driving me mad! thansk

You need to shave twice a day on yer chin ?? Holy sh.t and sorry to hear that , thought i wuz bad hun. Anyway .....the cream your using is supposed to be 50 euros a tube so yer being ripped off there, also it takes a while to work , months, and if you stop using the hair returns. No experience of the product meself ....just heard. SOOOOOO, electrolysis,
    I am doin same and it is permanent , hurts a bit but you get used to it.
    Now !!!!!!!! in the name of Jasus will you stop shavin.......you will end up with a guys stubble. The place Im going to is Nu Essence in Sth. Anne St. , give em a buzz on 01-6716443, they are good folk and will sort you out.
    Oh, ...about 35 euro for twenty minutes or so. STOP fekin shaving !!!

• Advertisement

Purple Rain, sorry , totally forgot to get back to you, there are contact details for a place in Sth. Anne St. just above this post ......if you have`nt found a salon yourself.......they are good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rockc68

Has Dianette worked for anyone ....

I mean if i take it will the areas i have tampered with improve, or should I assume ill have the stubble affect forever :mad::mad:

Hi, I'm very late to this thread but anyway...

I used Dianette for about 9 years, it did help with facial hair. However, the GPs who prescribed it always stressed that it wasn't a good thing to be on long-term.

I also got lots of electrolysis on the area, which cost a lot, and resulted in that old chestnut, an improvement but not *permanent removal*.

I'm reluctant to spend a small fortune on laser treatment because:
    • I don't believe its effects are permanent either;
    • No-one can predict exactly how many sessions any individual will need, to see an improvement (6-12, maybe more??);
    • I understand that annual top-up sessions are required to maintain any improvement;
    • There are several types of laser, how can I be sure that I'm being "sold" the right one?
    In any case, post-Dianette and as I get older, the hair is as bad as or perhaps even worse than it ever was. I've recently been prescribed Vaniqa, but have sensitive skin so we'll see..

Oh, for what it's worth, someone once told me that waxing isn't a good idea for the face (eyebrows, especially), as it stretches delicate skin. Kinda makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evorg

hi,
    I got an epliator at the wkd - worked a treat on the face. TRIED IT ON MY LEGS AND THE PAIN WAS PRETTY BAD SO ONLY GOT ABOUT AN INCH DONE - WILL KEEP PERSEVERING AS i'VE BEEN TOLDS BY Mates that it gets allot less painful with practice. I suppose i'll only know with time if the regrowth on my face is kay or not. sorry about the caps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I use this on my eyebrows and lip, I'm very dark haired. It works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 missyprim

Hi all

Ok, it seems you may have pcos, it vastly increases testosterone and reduces estrogen in a womans body which in theory produces additional hormones resulting in facial hair and darker hair in other areas, as a sufferer on pcos i would suggest you see your GP, as he can recommend or prescribe hormone supplements to decrease the hair growth, i personally use NADS after using it for a while it reduces hair growth and its a herbal wax so it will not irritate your skin :) hope this helps
    Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement