Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multicam Debate (Split from Multicam?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Spetsnaz.jpg?t=1245430886

Peh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

Indeed... Spetznaz... As subtle as Uncle Joe

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

NakedDex wrote: »
    What does that have to do with anything? I'm just say ACU isn't being ditched for ineffectiveness, it's being ditched because it isn't as universal as advertised. But what is?

I don't understand it either. Personally I don't like it. I won't go so far as to say hate, but it's a strong dislike. It's scheme just looks a bit..., I don't know..., off. Like it's almost finished but it's missing a primary colour. I've got no clue as to the appeal aesthetically and I've personally only seen it blending into Irish environs effectively a handful of times.

Can I say I agree with you about multicam in that it doesn't blend well in woodland environments in Ireland. I think flecktarn is better for that. Can't speak about any other type of environment.

Can I also say I disagree with you about ACU in that it is being ditched because it is ineffective. The US's biggest theatre of operations at the moment is Iraq and Afghanistan. I think they stated that the only theatre of operations that they were considering replacing the uniform was for Afghanistan. They must not be effective in those specific regions. So it is not being replaced due to its lack of universality, more likely its lack of specificity is the problem. And therefore its effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

So, wait, the least effective place for a BDU made up primarily of dark and light greys and with the ability to confuse basic night vision equipment is a dark mountainous area where the majority of difficult action involves areas primarily made up of grey rocks and caves?

It's not being ditched for ineffectiveness. It's being ditched because there's a contract due and someone up top decided the uniform doesn't look nice. Maybe they spotted the infamous "couch-camo" picture and decided it was time to change the image to something more professional, maybe Trinny and Susannah are now in charge under Obama's new system or maybe someone gave someone a few bob and a favour to decide it was time for a change.
    Either way, I have a few friends deployed over there at the moment, in both theatres, and a few more back on leave. All have said the uniform works great over there but looks ridiculous when you're back home. Their only complaint is trying to keep a spare set clean all the time.

Late edit:
    Just got off the phone with a friend going through ROTC at the moment. The rumour of them changing uniforms is just that, a rumour. The US Army are sticking with ACU, albeit in a modified cut. Apparently the main difference is they're replacing the velcro on the pockets with buttons, but there's a couple of other minor alterations to the fit and shape.
    The exceptions are the 75th Rangers regiment and, of course, SOCOM, who have been doing their own thing for long enough for that bit not to be news.
    He didn't know what the Rangers were getting as no decisions have even been considered yet, since they were really just testing some possibles and nothing was set in stone about a change.
    The whole rumour seems to stem from a combination of the notification that the ACU cut will be modified, the picture of the Rangers at a display with an unidentified camo pattern and that some yahoo in Congress said that ACU was ineffective in Afghanistan (a nod of recognition to you there Big_G). Another friend I was talking to about this earlier did say that everyone from top brass to lowly grunts who had been to Afghanistan seemed to disagree with that assumption and they were perfectly happy to keep their kit.

So there you go, no Multicam for the US Army. Regardless of effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

Firekitten wrote: »
    Do you realise if mcdonalds sponsored future weapons like magpull and Crye do... he would be wearing a ronald mcdonald suit?

He doesnt give a damn about it... its given to him and hes told to wear it.

lol, Mack in a ronald mcdonald suit shooting a tavor.... Its funny i can see him doing it!, red nose might mess up his shots tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭.22 Lover

So could anyone tell me witch is the best camo for dry overgrown field grass?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

brit desert! cheap too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Multicam, you'll not only blend in flawlessly but if you do get spotted, you'll look gucci...

Italian vegeta is pretty good too. I hate british pattern., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 elmotastic

Maybe im simplifying this but surely the objective is not to look gucci, but to break up your silhouette and match local veg. And considering our own DPM is illegal, surely a country with similar woodland would have the next best thing, i.e. british dpm or german flekt' . Even american woodland camo has a similarity, but multi cam??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

elmotastic wrote: »
    Maybe im simplifying this but surely the objective is not to look gucci, but to break up your silhouette and match local veg. And considering our own DPM is illegal, surely a country with similar woodland would have the next best thing, i.e. british dpm or german flekt' . Even american woodland camo has a similarity, but multi cam??

The closest to our own pattern is the french Central European Pattern which can be almost mistaken for dpm Masada has some french if i remember correctly and flacktarn now do the jackets shirts and french woodland vests

• Advertisement

Masada wrote: »
    Multicam, you'll not only blend in flawlessly but if you do get spotted, you'll look gucci...
    :rolleyes:
    Masada wrote: »
    I hate british pattern., :)
    Whats wrong with it?
    .22 Lover wrote: »
    So could anyone tell me witch is the best camo for dry overgrown field grass?:)
    Probably something like desert trousers, with a woodland jacket depending on the grass hight... it works oddly well actually.
    Someone gets it \o/ woo!

*ehem*

The objective of camoflage is to do as you say... Multicam does work in arid environments (Not all arid environments are desert btw)
    Its a complicated thing really... The best camoflage for any environment is a custom made ghillie suit, but we dont all have time or need for one... The best imo, is what you find comfortable, and most efficent overall. DPM, flectarn, and us woodland are excelent imo. Canadian and marpat are two i love also... digital camo is quite good frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Marpat and Cadpat work extemely well here (stangely enough desert marpat works extremely well in long and sun bleached grass and scrub) i have the both genuine issuse Marpats
    Cadpat dont like the chinese copies its got too much lime/dayglow green where as the genuine issuse has more dark colours in and looks a lot better downside hard to get and can be fairly expensive

Gatling wrote: »
    The closest to our own pattern is the french Central European Pattern which can be almost mistaken for dpm Masada has some french if i remember correctly and flacktarn now do the jackets shirts and french woodland vests

French isnt actually as close as people think it is, your right about the similarity though, the main point is the blacks in the 2., :) irish on the left, French on the right,
    3878789165_8478da139f_b.jpg

I have a set of Slovenian BDUs aswell and they are a lot more like Irish than French,
    This is the slovenian, (Don't mind yore man in the front, thats that manky brit stuff, its the ones sitting down)
    78fb1ebd.jpg

Whats so bad about british stuff? It works really well actually... Extremely useful in temperate woodland.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭gungun

Maybe im simplifying this but surely the objective is not to look gucci

airsoft: 90% looks 10% functionality:D

My personal preference is MARPET woodland it works well in winter.I need to get my gun sprayed to match though.A black gun in grassland tends to give your position away.

My personal preference is MARPET woodland it works well in winter when the sun is out.

not to be cheeky or anything but therefore it never works:p

Edit: oh fine, its a bit better than multicam i suppose :D

gungun wrote: »
    not to be cheeky or anything but therefore it never works:p

Edit: oh fine, its a bit better than multicam i suppose :D
    A hell of alot better if you know how to use it.

A hell of alot better if you know how to use it.

not quite as cool though

you might not feel cool sure, just wear a :D and long sleeve shirts and you'll LOOK grand

EDIT: for the sake of not getting into an argument and messing up the thread im gonna stop now:)

• Advertisement

My personal preference is MARPET woodland it works well in winter.I need to get my gun sprayed to match though.A black gun in grassland tends to give your position away.
    Not as much as you think but it helps... just a dusting of od krylon tends to work well, but i dont bother spraying my assault rifles... i like the original look... anyway most forces dont spray them, and any of my loadouts tend to be grunt, not sf ninja l33t dewdz.
    gungun wrote: »
    airsoft: 90% looks 10% functionality:D
    Only if you're a geardo :P

Not as much as you think but it helps... just a dusting of od krylon tends to work well, but i dont bother spraying my assault rifles... i like the original look... anyway most forces dont spray them, and any of my loadouts tend to be grunt, not sf ninja l33t dewdz.

Only if you're a geardo :P
    I like the original look of my M16 just as much as the next guy but I'm not a big fan of using lots of ammo so i try to use as little ammo as possible and to do that not getting spotted and shot at and having to use cover fire is a great ammo saver.I tend to be the guy with the small number of kills but no deaths.

can do that when seen... work on your tactics and skills... aim more, i rarely use auto with aegs... a few taps on semi is generally plenty, auto is for 'oh feck theres bloody hundreds' times, or room clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Bloody heck
    Reality Check people please!

Airsoft: Make Believe, FUN! NOT REAL!
    Geeks/Nerds/Students/Gamers/RDF/wannabie soldiers running about the place playing dress up! and having a laugh!

Comon!!!!!!!! its a sport and its having a laugh,
    ya wanna get more serious then do mil-sim etc.

But Fashion whores! bitching at each other over
    the vadility of ACU/DPM/Marpat its a right laugh!

OD for the win! :-P
    ~B

uh, actually we're discussing various camos... not fashion...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

uh, actually we're discussing various camos... not fashion...

Then Plain Jane OD for the win! :)

~B

bullets wrote: »
    Bloody heck
    Reality Check people please!

Airsoft: Make Believe, FUN! NOT REAL!
    Geeks/Nerds/Students/Gamers/RDF/wannabie soldiers running about the place playing dress up! and having a laugh!

Comon!!!!!!!! its a sport and its having a laugh,
    ya wanna get more serious then do mil-sim etc.

But Fashion whores! bitching at each other over
    the vadility of ACU/DPM/Marpat its a right laugh!

OD for the win! :-P
    ~B
    Have you forgotten what the name of this post is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Wasn't mad one the multicam at the first look but that picture of the guy in front of the wall is very convincing.

I'd say it works alright, but I do agree that it seems slightly more suited to arid environments that climates like Ireland's.

American ACU out me off digital when I first saw it, probably cause it was the first digital camo I had seen, but I like cadpat,looks like it would suit Ireland and am probably gonna pick some up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Have you forgotten what the name of this post is!!

Something about that silly multisham?

• Advertisement

Multicam am bestest!

It's gotta be the only camo used by the Americans AND the Russians!
    I'm putting my fingers in my ears now and I don't care what ya say.. Lala la lala la...
    *dreams of multicam wallpaper*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement