Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advance from a Level 7 Degree

• 17-06-2009 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all... hope this is the correct place to ask

I have a level 7 degree but most/all post-grads need level 8 for entry.

How do I advance from the level 7 black-hole position?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What you have is an Ordinary Degree.

Most Institutes of Technology provide a Level 8 course that will get you where you want to be. Should only take a year to do, either full- or part-time.

Not so sure about Universities, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

Hi, thanks for the helpful reply..

I'm finding this very hard to understand.

I did my level 7 in general science
    Is it the case then that I can apply for and enter into any science degree in an IT at level 8?

or, are there particular specific courses which are one year only which I have to do?

Any further info links or tips much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Hi, thanks for the helpful reply..

I'm finding this very hard to understand.

I did my level 7 in general science
    Is it the case then that I can apply for and enter into any science degree in an IT at level 8?

or, are there particular specific courses which are one year only which I have to do?

Any further info links or tips much appreciated

It depends on the College. different colleges have different program running.

you best bet is to do a search for what you want, that should give you an idea of who does what course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Sparkles

Hi Thecraichead,

I can empathise with you with a level 7 qualification as I also was at this level until recently. I graduated from the add-on degree course B. Sc Applied Biopharmaceutical & Healthcare Sciences at level 8 last year from G.M.I.T.

Here's a link of you're intersted in finding out more....

http://www.gotocollege.ie/search.html?op=showcourse&row_id=4638

Good luck,

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thecraichead

Sparkles,

thanks very much, that is helpful. Can I ask how did you find out about the course in the first place? I'm finding it hard to browse options as most listings are very vague about whether entry at level 8 is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Hi,

I received a level 7 degree (with distinction) in CIT and was initially turned down for a level 9 masters in DIT. I got in touch with the course co-ordinator and managed to get an interview. Based on previous life experience (not academic) they allowed me on the Msc course. I'm the only one in the class without an honours degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Hi, i am just curious to find out is there a significant difference between level 7 & 8 for computers and all degrees at that matter?

One lecturer told me there is no difference in the workload or standards, that it just means its an extra year. Then another told me there is a difference that its a step up. I am curious to find out as i need to know before i make any decision on which course to do.

There should be a difference in workload and standards - one is Level 7, one is Level 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    There should be a difference in workload and standards - one is Level 7, one is Level 8.

So it would seem, but a lecturer at an open day literally said ders no diff in the workload, only means hrs is just and extra year. But i need more opinions

You don't need opinions, you need facts.

Is there a difference between Level 5 and Level 6? Yes there is. Is there a difference between Level 6 and Level 7? Yes there is, and so on. Check out http://www.nfq.ie/nfq/en/ for details on the levels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The additional credits worked up in the fourth year will be the difference between the level 7 and the level 8. Many IT's run a level 7 ordinary degree with the option of taking an addtional year to achieve the level 8.
    If you wish to progress to a level 9 (or 10) postgrad, you will have to have taken a degree to level 8. If you're asking about whether it makes a difference to employment, you'd have to ask some potential employers directly to find out if they prefer an Honours degree (L8) or if an ordinary degree is sufficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I would ring the Science departments in the various colleges and outline your situation OP. I know a girl who didn't have enough credits of French taken over her degree for entry into the PDE and a different college just let her sign up for a year of French. She was in with both second and final years. I'm fairly sure you could work something out where you just join the final year class of a degree. Check it out anyway.

Advertisement