Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be beans in breakfast poll

Options
  • 17-06-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭

Well?

Shuld baked beans be in a fried breakfast? 79 votes

No way! This is not a greasy caf!
    0%
    YUm, not complete without it.
    37%
    CiaranCThe SweeperdavejSleipnirPonsterbrianthebardg5hn710m4xpdwyemc2Goolaycee_jayjos28NewFrockTuesdayKeanoGran HermanoZamboniDutch_DruidDolberttruecripplerthe beer revoluMichellenman 30 votes
    I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    62%
    neuro-praxisjoolsveertmanSpastafarianhusseymatrimDavey DevildudaracerbeusmayordenisCathyMoranolaolaSkitbraKenny_DPhoti_feedback_Dermot2468coolmooseLivingDeadGirlafatbollix 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well?

Oh, yes. I like this idea. It will be messy, yes, but good things always are.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I knew hed do it! :D

No beans. They just dont belong there unless youre sitting in a cafe in Streatham on a Sunday morning, feeling totally seedy on your way home from a filthy all nighter and have no plans to exit the bed till tomorrow morning. Then and only then are beans acceptable as the power of speech to communicate that you dont want them was lost about 6.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    You can't call it a breakfast without beans...
    Cutting up the sausage and dipping it in the bean's sauce is so damn satisfying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    I don't always include beans, but there are times when I do think they're necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Sausage
    Tomato
    Beans
    Chips
    Cuppa Tea
    Two rounds of toast.

At a roadside cafe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Beans are a sham. They ruin the flow of a good fry. The runny egg yolk is made for dipping cut up sausages in, not beans.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    They have to be nuclear hot, and I have to eat them before everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Woo beans are winning! Go beans!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    It's not a fried breakfast without beans. i really dislike hotels that don't give beans with their breakfasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Peasants!!!

Although I generally love peasant food (but the kind that was around when peasants couldn't afford processed food)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beans are a sham. They ruin the flow of a good fry. The runny egg yolk is made for dipping cut up sausages in, not beans.:pac:

The runny egg mixes with the ketchup from the beans to bring about Nirvana. Bloody philistine!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

No beans and no ketchup/HP/Brown sauces....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The runny egg mixes with the ketchup from the beans to bring about Nirvana. Bloody philistine!

Nail on head.

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Peasants!!!

Although I generally love peasant food (but the kind that was around when peasants couldn't afford processed food)
    Heinz Baked Beans used to be £1, 10 shillings (or £116.76 in todays money) a can in 1901. Peasant THAT!

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Heinz Baked Beans used to be £1, 10 shillings (or £116.76 in todays money) a can in 1901. Peasant THAT!
    Actually no, I read that completely wrong. They were £1.50 at todays prices.
    Well that's not too bad.
    http://www.heinz.co.uk/products/heinz_baked_beanz.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

D'oh!!

For some reason I thought the title was a typo and meant "should there be beans in a breakfast roll"

:o

But ya....baked beans are the essance of a good full Irish!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A small amount, and the sauce should be thicker. I sometime rinse beans off and add in different sauces, like korma or other spicy ones. Also stir in tomato puree to thicken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

But ya....baked beans are the essance of a good full Irish!!
    Beans are for culchies and Brits

No beans I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Full English Vs Full Irish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    there has to be beans in a fry up its not complete without it.
    I have to mash have the beans so it becomes thick and gooey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

As has been pointed out, the addition (or omission) of beans is one of the main (traditional) differences between a full Irish and a full English breakfast.

I used to do a lot of travelling from 1984 onwards in trucks all around Ireland and to Britain. It was almost impossible to find a B&B/cafe which served baked beans in their brekkie though we did find some places in Wicklow (never took the truck into Dublin much).
    But in England and Wales every full English breakfast came with baked beans. Irish truck drivers referred to their British counterparts as "Beanos" due to the differences in the fry-ups.

These days though the lines are merged. In Ireland you can get beans AND mushrooms AND grilled tomatoes while in England you can find black pudding (which wasn't all that common and still isn't as popular as white) and the odd place has soda bread.

To answer the OP, it just isn't the same without beans :D

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    CiaranC wrote:
    Beans are for culchies and Brits

No beans I say!
    I noticed that they tend not to serve beans with breakfast in Dublin as much as everywhere else. It's annoying.
    Aren't they the same thing?
    rubadub wrote: »
    A small amount, and the sauce should be thicker. I sometime rinse beans off and add in different sauces, like korma or other spicy ones. Also stir in tomato puree to thicken it.
    :eek: Korma beans for breakfast?? Sacrilege!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LeggyBrunette

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Oh yeah, gotta have beans. Your last bite of toast has to be kept to clean the bean sauce off your plate. Nyom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Aren't they the same thing?

As I said, these days it's not always easy to tell the difference but go back even 15 years and there would have been much bigger differences.

The wiki page has a good summery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Irish beans?

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    Irish beans?
    Presumably they grow them somewhere else before they put them in the tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Your last bite of toast has to be kept to clean the bean sauce off your plate. Nyom.
    Thats what the egg is for! Sacrilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My point exactly. The kind of peasant food I like is from a time when peasants couldn't afford processed food (as I said).

I'm a veggie,so, yeah.
    My point exactly. The kind of peasant food I like is from a time when peasants couldn't afford processed food (as I said).
    Well... it was an interesting fact nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I do like them with a fry, but won't miss them if they're not there. And I'd never order them as extra.

Advertisement