Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaults in Waterford

• 17-06-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

My son was badly assaulted on Friday night I was told that its a craze at the moment and they film it on mobilephones and post on utube does anyone know of this and do they have a link

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

I saw a crazy fight outside centre on john street on Saturday night, load of kids (16/17) messing round but that got out of hand. Seem's to have moved from schools to the streets. Same thing is happening on the quay every weekend without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

It's pathetic.

You'll probably see links to videos on 4chan.org/b/ ... (NSFW, or anything really...)

Hope your son is OK. My cousin got a baytin out in Tramore there last week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

your kidding me right, these people are retarded
    They cause a fight and then record it and upload it, they do realise that they can be tracked down if people wanted to do it, odds are these people are not smart enough to go through some private proxy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

this kind of thing worries me tbh,

Like the lads said how stupid can they be if they put this kind of thing out to the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Think the problem is that they just don't care( the scumbags that is).They get great kudos off their other retarded mates for uploading the crap and if they do get caught for it its just something else for them to brag about and even if they get caught because they're mostly minors they'll just get a slap on the wrist.
    Really sorry to hear about your kid getting assaulted, I think its scandalous that its becoming the usual for this crap to happen around the town.When I was younger there was a bit of rouble around the town but nothing like at the moment.It just sickens me to see young people have a form of innocence taken away from them by a group of thugs and morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Happened to a few friends of mine, one attack I actually witnessed and the only reason they stopped was because they heard me talking to the guards on the phone, broad daylight like 6pm, four girls kicking one girl on the ground after decking her boyfriend. Went to give guards a statement and their response was that they can do nothing unless it happens again.
    Really makes me wonder wtf is with our justice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

scum is all these toerags are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭foxylad

was this reported to the Gardai?

what time did it happen?

there is CCTV in operation all round the city ?

pvt me details if u could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

check your messages

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

foxylad wrote: »
    pvt me details if u could

Why? Seems an odd request. This is a matter for the Gardai really.

• Advertisement

the Gardai have been informed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Happened to a few friends of mine, one attack I actually witnessed and the only reason they stopped was because they heard me talking to the guards on the phone, broad daylight like 6pm, four girls kicking one girl on the ground after decking her boyfriend. Went to give guards a statement and their response was that they can do nothing unless it happens again.
    Really makes me wonder wtf is with our justice system.

Which is why we need a Victim Justice system and not a criminal justice system

Bards wrote: »
    Which is why we need a Victim Justice system and not a criminal justice system

In theory its a good idea, although outdated and somewhat impracticle i do think that the bibles eye for an eye teachings are worth considering.

I saw a teenie fight that side street between the belfry and the cathederal on one occassion maybe about 20 girls and lads with a few filming on their mobs, they didn't even bat an eye that a few of us where watcning in horror.

The whole situation sickens me a little bit. I mean alot of ua here are always spouting about the city centre and how it needs to be maintained if we're doing it so we can provide venues for a teenage fight club i'd rather see everything move out to the ORR tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

if i see any of the little bastids jumping on someone ill tear the head off em. Hate seen one person against 2 or more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

seanybiker wrote: »
    if i see any of the little bastids jumping on someone ill tear the head off em. Hate seen one person against 2 or more.

Id love to do the same but jesus they would quickly turn on your with a knife. Its happened before that even the person being kicked around has fought the person trying to defend them. Best just call the Guards, give a shout at them but prob wont listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think it's called 'Happy Slapping' - There was a lady on the Dublin forum last year that had it happen to her on the LUAS, she was able to use CCTV to track down the uniforms I think. Little sh*ts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'd wounder who coined the term "Happy Slapping", its far from happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

My view is that if you kick someone in the head while on the ground that’s attempted murder and anyone who does such a cowardly thing should be locked up for. Where as years ago when someone was knocked down that was the end of it, now it seems to be the start of it. Very casual attitude to violence with young people these days and only seems to be getting worse. We have all seen it and these wild animals such be treated as such.

Would be interesting to see how many incidents users here have seen or encountered in the last month for example to get an idea of how widespread this really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Who is their target? Is it other teenagers, or are they just as likely to assault an adult of 30-40?

Say in the last maybe 2 years I'd say off the top of my head i've seen fights at "reasonable times" maybe 4 times say twice with teens more recently and twice with "Adults" and I use the term loosely.

I was led to believe that happy slapping was running upto someone and getting a shot in and legging for dear life not say kicking on the groud ETC.

Hold on this is priceless: athough possibly NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRuGi-Pp-TI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

that video is class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sully wrote: »
    Id love to do the same but jesus they would quickly turn on your with a knife. Its happened before that even the person being kicked around has fought the person trying to defend them. Best just call the Guards, give a shout at them but prob wont listen.

Ill just leave me helemet on and use swing the pillion one around and run into the middle of them lol. Little scummy, trackies tucked into their socks people flying all over the shop. Be some laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

I spent last Friday night in A&E at WRH with my young lad, a victim of these "scumbags".
    Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Cabaal wrote: »
    You'd wounder who coined the term "Happy Slapping", its far from happy

it was that drink Tango that made it,

they had an ad of someone slapping a random stranger and the stranger had a look of shock on his face, needless to say the ad was pulled and instead the orange tango man kissed him instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The Gardai should be doing more to protect the weaker part of society imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

And if the guards can't do it maybe a few people from around waterford should form some sort of "community watch" group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

In my opinion there should be a much higher visible Garda presence on the streets.
    Q.

I'd like to know how many Gardai are working in the city, how many per rota and where their routes are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Sorry to hear about those who were vitiums of some cowardly acts. Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a "vigilante" watch group some years back that all dressed in the same clothes and just walked about the centre of town at the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

shapez wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about those who were vitiums of some cowardly acts. Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a "vigilante" watch group some years back that all dressed in the same clothes and just walked about the centre of town at the weekend?

Gardai ??

Thats just a myth to be honest.

Advertisement