Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assaults in Waterford

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Sorry to hear about your son OP. This sort of thing is sickeningly common nowadays. 2 years back my sister got a beating off a thug when she was IN supermacs. Neither the staff nor Gardai paid the slightest bit of attention, with the usually mentioned, nothing can be done. Makes me sick to my stomach. My family had numerous discussions with the Gardai and the management of Supermacs to no avail.
    It really is no wonder thugs are commiting such heinous acts of random violence when there are clearly no types of punishment whatsoever meted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

In some cases the one and only time you ever call the cops and they cant do anything you loose faith in the system and also the thugs know they can get away with it so they have no respect for authorities. Pity it happens like that.

It was a topic I wanted to discuss during the last local elections and I only got to talk to one person (Stephanie Keating) who showed interest in anti social behaviour, somehow I either missed or the canvassers didnt ring my door bell when I was there BUT I got loads of leaflets dropped in my door wheil I was at home and which went straight to the recycle bin.

I voted for the person (not bothered what party they were in, just what can they do for my locality to make it a better place) in the local elections, a lot of people I talked to voted for the party thinking the government would fall which to me was a waste especially at local elections.

Did anyone else bring up anti social behaviour last month when election canvassing was on to people who called to your door?

I havent seen or heard of "happy slapping" (stupid term for thuggery) but have noticed a dramatic increase in breakings while people are asleep in their house up in my area. One neighbour (young fella) caught the 3 lads who broke into the house (16,17 and 18), held one to the ground until the garda arrived. Fair play to him. Heard not much happend to them only a fine.

Thats my 2 cents to this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I'd say the suburbs are worse than the city centre to be honest. A friend of mine lives in Ardkeen village and I hear a lot of stories about the activities of certain families from the estates in and around here. In the centre, it's mainly isolated incidents in my experience. In the suburbs people are often targeted over a prolonged period.

I'll tell you something, I would be very tempted to join a "neighbourhood watch" effort. But you have to be very careful, the scumbags have nothing to lose, whereas I'm betting most of the people on here value their job, their property, their family, their position in society, their lack of criminal record, the fact that they've probably never been in court, etc., etc. You could lose everything going down that road and you can be sure the ****ers would be laughing up in your face because the vast majority of them won't ever see the inside of a cell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

merlante wrote: »
    I'll tell you something, I would be very tempted to join a "neighbourhood watch" effort. But you have to be very careful, the scumbags have nothing to lose, whereas I'm betting most of the people on here value their job, their property, their family, their position in society, their lack of criminal record, the fact that they've probably never been in court, etc., etc. You could lose everything going down that road and you can be sure the ****ers would be laughing up in your face because the vast majority of them won't ever see the inside of a cell.
    Well this is it, well said merlante.

Our law is outdated for the new breed of scumbags out there. They have nothing to fear anymore from 'minor' crimes. I'd love to see a bootcamp setup or something and put them in the middle of nowhere to survive a month of up at 6am, 5 mile run etc. Discipline and respect is what is needed in the majority of these thugs. They are no bodies when they are on their own with no weisel friends to show off too.

Well this is it, well said merlante.

Our law is outdated for the new breed of scumbags out there. They have nothing to fear anymore from 'minor' crimes. I'd love to see a bootcamp setup or something and put them in the middle of nowhere to survive a month of up at 6am, 5 mile run etc. Discipline and respect is what is needed in the majority of these thugs. They are no bodies when they are on their own with no weisel friends to show off too.

Our law and policing is nothing but a sham to make the middle class feel safe and respectable. In reality, the bad guys are not punished and the good guys are picked out and attacked one by one and the rest of us hope and assume that the system will take care of it. Well it won't. It's like a bloody hurling game where the ref is not looking after the players...

I don't know what the solution is, but something has to change. It's not even anything to do with drugs or money half the time, it's just pure wantoness.

But I'll say one thing, anyone who is as pissed off with this **** as I am, would want to forget about feeling sorry for criminals who come from 'disadvantaged backgrounds' or trying to avoid 'criminalising' people or pushing for softer sentences, or trying to emasculate the gardaí. I would rather live in a country where the gardaí occasionally rough up a few decent citizens by accident and come down on the scumbags like a ton of bricks, than live in the current situation where the cops can't do anything and where they are crucified for crossing the line.

It's a bit off topic, but you can't have it both ways. Either the cops can get physical or they can't, and jesus I'd give them whatever they need, the way things are.

I don't agree that any of this is new by the way. Think it was worse in years gone by to be honest, except for the phone recordings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

See I don't know is going down the neighbourhood watch route the right call either, IMO there isn't much of dividing line between this and rounding up a posse and burning out people (Might be a touch OTT but you get my point)

I have to say I like the boot camp idea from a practical point of view I don't think it would work but in theory I think it would be great.

I do think that something has to be done, The thoughts of a family member (or anyone here :)) getting jumped doen town and then the attacker to get away scot free makes me skin crawl TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

shapez wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but was there not a "vigilante" watch group some years back that all dressed in the same clothes and just walked about the centre of town at the weekend?

no they were cureheads!:D

i know a girl who was assaulted in john street by a complete stranger resulting in a broken nose . on the night in question the guards were across the street and arrested the attacker immediately so even though i agree that there should be more guards on the street it is only a deterrent.
    even though the attack was captured on CCTV the guards will not press charges unless the victim agrees to stand up in court.
    something she is unwilling to do as one of the guards told her in detail of the attacker and her familys reputation and past assaults/crimes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

OP, hope your son is ok? I live in the city centre and if I was to see a young lad being knocked baout the place by a gang of lads, i wouldn't think twice about getting involved, even if I knew they were going ta kick the sh1te outta me. they're cowards and if they were on their own they'd most definietly crap their pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

I would rather live in a country where the gardaí occasionally rough up a few decent citizens by accident and come down on the scumbags like a ton of bricks, than live in the current situation where the cops can't do anything and where they are crucified for crossing the line.

What?

So if you were the accidental "decent citizen" that was roughed up for no reason, you'd shrug it off and just accept it? I don't think that's likely.

Also I like the idea of bootcamps, but doughnuts and chips instead of 5 mile runs. I want muggers who can't run very fast.

dogs wrote: »
    What?

So if you were the accidental "decent citizen" that was roughed up for no reason, you'd shrug it off and just accept it? I don't think that's likely.

I'd be pissed off, I'd make a complaint, but ultimately I would accept a situation where an apology was given, if I know that the cops are out there breaking scumbag heads --where necessary -- every other night of the week. We can't have it both ways.

I'm sick of this business of such and such being "known to gardaí" but nothing ever being done. I am not suggesting police brutality, but anyone who watches the Wire will have an idea of the sort of behaviour I'd condone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

anyone who watches the Wire will have an idea of the sort of behaviour I'd condone.

Omar from the Wire
    2008_01_23_michaelkwilliams.jpg

Really?
    Not there's anything wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'd say the suburbs are worse than the city centre to be honest. A friend of mine lives in Ardkeen village and I hear a lot of stories about the activities of certain families from the estates in and around here. In the centre, it's mainly isolated incidents in my experience. In the suburbs people are often targeted over a prolonged period.

Yeah my brother was telling me a couple of weeks ago about three friends of his who were walking from Tesco to The Grange, where two of them live.

As they passed Catherine's Grange a load of lads (apparently 7 or 8) crossed the road to them. Started the usual "any fags lads". The lads just tried to ignore them and kept walking. Your man then says "if you don't answer me I'm going to kick the shit out of ya!". So they told him they don't smoke and next thing one of them slaps one of the lads. And I mean slaps, like a girl! Then another hit one of the other two lads. One of my brother's friends managed to hop one of the aggressors off a wall which gave them room to run so they did. But what do they do now when they want to go anywhere? They would always have to walk past this same group, and if any of you drive that way on a regular basis, you'll know that this gang of scumbags are there nearly all the time.

I find it funny because I grew up in Hillview which had its share of tough lads from there and the surrounding area. But there was very rarely any bother. I know some lads used to be a bit scared walking through the alley in Ashley Court and that but I actually knew the lads that hung around there and they were sound. There was never this random fighting thing that seems to be happening now.

It's the same in the Park now apparently. I spent about two years of my teens there and can only remember one or two little scuffles, none of which involved me so I don't know were they brought on by something. But I've heard now that there's regularly people getting beaten up there for no reason. And it seems that girls aren't immune. They're as bad as, if not worse than, the lads.

It's an awful situation but I don't see any resolution in sight. You'd probably have to hire a load more Gardai and have them regularly patrol those areas. But there's no chance of getting the money for that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

it may be unworkable but what about NATIONAL SERVICE for all of these scumbags.lets face it these kids won't have many prospects when they leave school so why not put them in the army/navy/air corp,offer them apprentiships,pay them what they would get off the dole and perhaps they can come out of it better persons with a higher level of self esteem and maybe they can teach their own children proper values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

When I was growing up in Waterford the place was full of scum. Didn't need to be a genius to see that they would be the ones to remain in that city and have babies who would grow up to become today's scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Out of curiosity, if I'm out walking and three or four 15-17 year olds start swinging at me..., legally, what can I do as an adult? Does it become a case of self-defence, or am I breaking the law by striking a minor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

gscully wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, if I'm out walking and three or four 15-17 year olds start swinging at me..., legally, what can I do as an adult? Does it become a case of self-defence, or am I breaking the law by striking a minor?
    dunno tbh ,

but if it was me, i wouldnt just stand there and leave them kick the ****e out of me , and say " oh well they're only 15" ... fook that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a person is allowed by law to defend themselves, some louts use this as an excuse to attack a person, saying i was only defending myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Yeah , I think its reasonable defense or something of that like.So if some one attacks you you are with in your rights to defend yourself but not take it too far.So say some one attacks you with their fists you are legally allowed to do the same but if you have a knife or weapon and use that and really **** the attacker up I think you can get done for that unless you can prove that you believed that your life was in danger(if a group of people attack you or some one with a weapon that would still prove a treat unless they were incapacitated).
    Not too sure on it though, I think there was supposed to be changes made to the law about a year ago but like every thing else the government were supposed to do it got brushed under the carpet.

Advertisement