Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does everything start up in U.L. for incoming first years?

• 17-06-2009 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hay.. I was just wondering when everything starts again in UL for new incoming first years and is there something called ''oreintation'' (sorry if its mis-spelt) and what does this consist of? (Im Hoping to do enviromental science.)

Thanks guys!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

If you get your course in UL you'll be sent out an information pack usually a week or two before you start. There is an orientation week for incoming 1st years and it's the week before the start of the autumn semester proper (i.e. when everyone else comes back).

Orientation week gives you a tour around the place, a few nights out and you'll also get registered for your course and take care of other administrative things.

Can't remember when it starts but it's usually the 1st or 2nd week of September if I remember correctly. The academic calendar says orientation starts on the 01/09/2009.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Academic_Calendar

Good luck with your LC results and enjoy your time in UL.....I know I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

As rmcm says, college officially starts at the beginning of September with lectures starting on Monday 7th Sept.
    Therefore Orientation week is the week before that, again as rmcm stated on 1st September. Orientation week is generally just being shown around capus for 2 days [usually from like 10am - 3pm there or thereabouts] You get shown around by a guide, usually from your course where possible, and you are guided in groups of 8-10 iirc, and there are all from your own class. It doesnt involve anything hectic, but its a good laugh and there are some good nights out to be had.
    You also get your ID card with a photo which will stay on it for 4 years [so make sure you look somewhat ok in it, cos it will haunt you for 4 years if it's a bad one like mine!].

And good luck with the LC, hope to see you in Sept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Orientation is evolving at the moment, but it is definitely more than just being shown around the campus. You'll get the intro from the Dean of your College (in your case Science and Engineering), possibly the President depending on his diary. You'll get a brief intro on the course you've accepted, do some activities with your group, register, be introduced to the Students' Union on the second day and have some fun activities. There's a whole range of services to explore and getting to know people will play a major part of your orientation week. Try and stick around for the 1st weekend or 2 if you can and get your housemates to stay up...explore the city etc.

You'll LOVE UL

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭croker1

hey incoming first year here too:D
    jus wondering is it like really awkward on orientation week if your like me and know noone????

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭McGetty

No, not at all. 90% of people come here knowing nobody. You will be shown around the college by your orientation guide in a group with about 6 other people from your course which is a great chance to get to know them. Just make the effort with everyone in the first few weeks, most of them are in the same boat as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Incoming first year here too ... Hopefully :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

Roll on UL!!!!!!! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

I agree.

I'm really looking forward to this.

And I'm in the same boat as most people! Will know nobody!

You'll also find me and ergonomics beavering away hard for you in the Student's Union

No there isn't a virus on the website...we've had it checked and it's been reported by someone, but there isn't one there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Ok mods I know this is off topic

but just wonderin have you guys got accomdation booked because id say at this stage im screwed:o?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Secoundrow wrote: »
    Ok mods I know this is off topic

but just wonderin have you guys got accomdation booked because id say at this stage im screwed:o?

First thing is to do is accept that it's not too late. You can find somewhere.
    Secondly at least apply for campus accom, you never know. Then contact the Accom department at the University, they might have some landlord contact details etc. Try out the regular places, buy n sell etc.

Check with the Accommodation Office. They'll have an idea of what's filled.

There is more than likely going to be an abundance of accommodation this September so no hurry. Might even be worth booking into a B&B for a week in August to look around and pick out the best of what's remaining.

Thanks for the advice!!
    I just e-mailed the accomodation office
    hope they check their e-mail failing that ill give them a call:D

oh and ninty9er I just clicked on a link to the SU website on another thread and I got flashed by Kaspersky for 3 trojans on the page

http://www.ulsu.ie/about/union_achievements.aspx
    ^^^
    Thats The bad link NB. Dont click it untill you have a good anti virus

ninty9er wrote: »
    You'll also find me and ergonomics beavering away hard for you in the Student's Union

No there isn't a virus on the website...we've had it checked and it's been reported by someone, but there isn't one there!

Heh check it again....http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-GB&site=http://www.ulsu.ie/about/union_achievements.aspx

And while you're at it get someone to go over the code for the site and make sure all SQL input is sanitised and check for xss vulnerabilities too (there's a whole host of other stuff you should do but the above is a start). Really sloppy work if it hasn't been checked tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Here are some bebo pages on UL that first years might find interesting.

http://www.bebo.com/ulsu - the bebo page for the Students' Union.

http://www.bebo.com/ulents - bebo page for Ents, which will probably be updated near Orientation week.

http://www.bebo.com/ulclubs - shows links to most of the clubs in UL.

www.bebo.com/ULSocieties - shows links to most of the societies in UL.

Just out of interest, what are ye planning on doing?

No1. B.sc Electronics (was called Electronic systems)

No2. B.sc Mobile Communication and security (It was called applyed computing and Network Technology)

Must be the recession their changing all the courses:rolleyes:

If any of ye know anything about these it would be appriciated:o

Sorry OP im kinda Hi-jackin ur thread ere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭pandemonium

Hoping to do languages,film and literature, cant wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thelittleflames

Hows things?
    I'm hoping to go to U.L. this year.I booked accomodation on campus but i dont know which village i will be staying in. Will I get my first preference?When will I find out where I'm staying?

Thanks for those links!

I have spent hours on the UL website and there is just so much - I can never find what I want either!

I'm hoping to do Applied Languages and if that fails, then European Studies. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

Enviromental science!! i hope!! haha hope this leavin cert didnt go skew ways!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Hoping to do Law Plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

When does everything start up for Post Grads?

Is there a similar orientation or do we just go straight into classes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lil_dee

hoping to do business and french just hoping the points dont go up!! im glad to see i wont be the only one not knowing anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

deisedolly wrote: »

Post Grads have an orientation the same time as undergrads (unless its changed since I've been gone). The day it starts for you will depend on the course you are doing. It is the week before week one. You will get a pack with your start date on it and when week one starts.

As far as I know orientation week is from August 31st - September 4th. Mossin and Pete can confirm as they are doing Post Grads too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

deisedolly wrote: »

The Don wrote: »
    Post Grads have an orientation the same time as undergrads (unless its changed since I've been gone). The day it starts for you will depend on the course you are doing. It is the week before week one. You will get a pack with your start date on it and when week one starts.

As far as I know orientation week is from August 31st - September 4th. Mossin and Pete can confirm as they are doing Post Grads too.

Yeah as the Don said, there is an orientation for post grads the week before college begins. AFAIK it will be the latter end of the week, probably the Thurs/Fri...Ninty9er will surely know the actual details of it all.
    I'm still waiting on my pack etc...probably wont arrive until early August anyhow, so if you havent heard anything by mid-August, call SAA in UL.

lil_dee wrote: »
    hoping to do business and french just hoping the points dont go up!! im glad to see i wont be the only one not knowing anyone

The best of luck with the results, I hope you get what you need.
    There are hundreds of students who start in UL each year who dont know anyone, so dont feel daunted by that.
    There are plenty of supports, clubs, societies etc which attempt to make induction easier. The best advice is to just go out and meet people, because there are so many in the same boat as you.

When is the Orientation/Registration week roughly?

And is the deal with checking in for college accommodation at the end of August?

rmacm wrote: »
    Can't remember when it starts but it's usually the 1st or 2nd week of September if I remember correctly. The academic calendar says orientation starts on the 01/09/2009.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Academic_Calendar

snazzy wrote: »
    When is the Orientation/Registration week roughly?

^^^ From my earlier post on the thread.....01/09/2009 the week starts.
    And is the deal with checking in for college accommodation at the end of August?

No idea but don't worry you will be sent out all of this information before September.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Anyone here doing Bachelor Of Arts? :D

I really can't wait for college. I used to go in to Ul library to study during the LC (not strictly allowed i know but ssshh! ;)) and the place has a really friendly and lively atmosphere.

Lots of my friends from last year also love it! The Stables is meant to be a great place to go and rag week is pretty insane by the sounds of things!

Well I'll finish my rant now. See you all there in September hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Anyone here doing Bachelor Of Arts? :D

I really can't wait for college. I used to go in to Ul library to study during the LC (not strictly allowed i know but ssshh! ;)) and the place has a really friendly and lively atmosphere.

Lots of my friends from last year also love it! The Stables is meant to be a great place to go and rag week is pretty insane by the sounds of things!

Well I'll finish my rant now. See you all there in September hopefully!

Your in for an amazing 4 years. Your first rag week will be excellent.

*You've waved the right to give out about LC's taking up your place in the library :pac:

• Advertisement

jkeire wrote: »
    Here are some bebo pages on UL that first years might find interesting.

http://www.bebo.com/ulsu - the bebo page for the Students' Union.

http://www.bebo.com/ulents - bebo page for Ents, which will probably be updated near Orientation week.

http://www.bebo.com/ulclubs - shows links to most of the clubs in UL.

www.bebo.com/ULSocieties - shows links to most of the societies in UL.

You can scratch the socs one. deleted due to lack of maintenance.

Advertisement