Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with vBulletin & new site please

• 17-06-2009 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I have a vBulletin forum which is 4/5 years old with quite a bit of content (forumback-up file is 109MB SQL). I now have a new site which is on the same hosting plan & server. What is the correct procedure for installing the forumback-up file on to the new site?

I've been trying this my self with help from both vBulletin and my hosts with nothing but problems... :(

I'm at my wits ends, and considering hiring someone to do it.

If you have done this before, I would appreciate some advice please.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

I have no experience with vBulletin, but something tells me that there's an issue with the size of the database.

Consider setting up a script which will split a large SQL file into smaller ones and import them one by one.
    http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Hoku wrote: »
    I have no experience with vBulletin, but something tells me that there's an issue with the size of the database.

Consider setting up a script which will split a large SQL file into smaller ones and import them one by one.
    http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php
    Thanks for the reply Hoku. I asked my hosts to import the back-up SQL file directly into the new database, but all I get now is a black page.

My hosts have said;
    I have imported the backup file you supplied into "12345_qwerty", and the site now appears to be returning a blank page once more. I feel that the issue extends beyond just importing data from a backup taken from another site, as this is a licensed product, there may be security issues.

Please refer your technical enquiry to the vendors of the vBulletin product, for further support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If as you said the new site on the same server and hosting package as the old site then just upload the the Vbulletin files to the new site and copy the config.php
    from the vbulletin/includes directory on the old site to the new one.
    This will only work properly if they are on the same hosting package or at least the same data centre. You may need to change the paths and cookie settings before it will work properly on the new domain.

If the above is not the case then the proper way to do it requires ssh access to your hosting account, you may need to get ssh enabled by your host.
    then read the following guide
    http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Backing-up-and-restoring-your-MySQL-Database/

I've done it before with the big dump importer too, it's a bit messy but it does work.

Just do some reading and take your time and you will crack it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Thanks for the reply Hoku. I asked my hosts to import the back-up SQL file directly into the new database, but all I get now is a black page.

My hosts have said;

Check the Version numbers of the old vbulletin install and the new one, if the database is from an old version you need to run the upgrader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Redshift wrote: »
    If as you said the new site on the same server and hosting package as the old site then just upload the the Vbulletin files to the new site and copy the config.php
    from the vbulletin/includes directory on the old site to the new one.
    This will only work properly if they are on the same hosting package or at least the same data centre. You may need to change the paths and cookie settings before it will work properly on the new domain.

Not sure if this would help, but check that the database itself actually has all the correct details. Some scripts store cookie settings, paths, etc in the database.

• Advertisement
Advertisement