Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VRT on a Rally Car?

• 17-06-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I am thinking about buying a 2nd hand rally car up the north, its a 1.6 Peugot

I will obviously never be driving this car on public roads (apart from closed roads that the Rally is taking place on)

and I will be towing the car to the event.

I'm only starting to get into it now. (Rallying)

Will I need to pay VRT on this vehicle?

Cheers
    G.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

If your not driving it on roads when your not in a competition, then i dont think you need to pay VRT, as you can keep it on UK plates (as long as whatever authority in the rally scene is ok with it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

VRT is payable it does'nt matter what you use it for or do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

aujopimur wrote: »

You sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you keep it on english plates... and keep it quiet... join www.rallyforums.com loads of good lads on that for answering questions..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

aujopimur wrote: »

The point of registering a vechile is surely so that it can be legal driven on the roads and when the guards see it on the roads they know who owns it, if it is never driven on the roads (execpt on rallies which close the road to the public) surely it would not need to be registered? and as such it would not need to pay the tax for vechile registration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

When the cars are being rallied they are driven on closed roads, However the cars are driven on the open public road to get between stages of the rally, never heard of the Garda doing rally cars for no tax, but have heard of them been done for speeding driving between stages on the open public road. Go to Letterkenny this weekend, The Donegal International rally is on and you will see lots of Irish lads running NI & UK reg rally cars,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Officially / technically the car needs to be VRT'd but there seems to be a bit of an unoffical "blind eye" been turned towards this in rallying. How long this will last especially with the current loss of revenue remains to be seen.

As has been pointed out you do need to drive on the public roads to get between stages / control points etc.

As suggested pop into www.rallyforums.com and have a look around there. Plenty of discussion on this very topic if you do a search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its motor tax that you don't have to pay when the car is not on the road. VRT is an entirely different kettle of fish.

cargo wrote: »
    Officially / technically the car needs to be VRT'd

Source? Why would it need to be registered if its sitting in a garage?
    cargo wrote: »
    As has been pointed out you do need to drive on the public roads to get between stages / control points etc.

He said he had a trailer did he not?

Stephen wrote: »
    Its motor tax that you don't have to pay when the car is not on the road. VRT is an entirely different kettle of fish.

How so? surely if you are not using a car for the purposes it was intended and it is just sitting there in your garage like any other object you own, why would this need to be registered in the state?

Im genuinely interested in this and just wondering if anyone has any reputable source for this VRT needs to be paid on non road used cars!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

stealthyspeeder, I think you are missing the point about the format of a rally. The OP said he wants to "Rally" the car not take it down to Mondello / local autocross track etc where you arrive with a car on a trailer and race it on private grounds and never leave the venue in the car until the end of the day when you again load it onto your trailer.

To complete in a stages rally he will need to take it on the public road to complete a "rally" event . Just to explain, to complete a "rally" event there are times during the day when you need to travel on roads which are not "closed" roads but open to the general public and therefore subject to Irish Road Rules. This is the "technical" reason you would need a car VRT'd taxed etc... but as I said you'll get about ok on the UK plates at an event.

• Advertisement

Apologies, I was under the impression that the local authorities closed the road for the rally, and therefore it would not be subject rules and regulations surrounding driving on public roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Going by the letter of the law, any car brought into Ireland by an Irish resident must be VRT'd within 24 hours of its arrival, even if it came into the country on a transporter and has been on private property ever since.
    But as has been said rally cars might have a blind eye turned to them as they wont ever been a normal "on the roads" car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

In theory the car must be vrt'd within 24 hours of coming into the state.When you back it off the trailer and drive a few hundred metres to scrutiny before the rally,you are technically driving on a public road without vrt been paid.But in rallying,they turn a blind eye,i'd say around half of the rallycars doing events are on UK plates.You shouldn't have any bother.

Advertisement