Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ping Sucks

Options
  • 17-06-2009 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

On BT top package (in Ranelagh) getting consistent 7.6meg. Ping is always >100ms though which I think is terribad for online gaming.

Any ideas how to improve? Hope this isn't useless without stats, can post them when i'm at home later.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Stats, pings and tracerts would be lovely please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

7.6M is known to be bad for gaming. Dropping to 3M, which has lower interleaving, is better. Line stats might also help identify what's up. If you're connected through a wireless connection, and are far from the router, this can also delay things.

jor el wrote: »
    7.6M is known to be bad for gaming. Dropping to 3M, which has lower interleaving, is better. Line stats might also help identify what's up. If you're connected through a wireless connection, and are far from the router, this can also delay things.
    If you ring BT, they can lower the interleaving on the profile if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭dangerousdavid

Stats as requested, let me know if there's more needed:

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time spacer.gifspacer.gifLatency Type Interleave Line Up Time 12:17:49:39 spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1 spacer.gif
    dotted_line_blue_470.gif
    spacer.gifStatistics Downstream Upstream spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Rate 7616 Kbps 672 Kbps spacer.gifspacer.gifNoise Margin 13.1 dB 12.0 dB spacer.gifspacer.gifLine Attenuation 32.0 dB 17.5 dB spacer.gifspacer.gifOutput Power 3.4 dBm 10.9 dBm

497860044.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

What CPU said, phone BT and get the interleaving lowered, I'm on the same package with Eircom and based in Mullingar.

497865523.png

I rang them and they did something, this is my first result :rolleyes:

497876335.png

Not entirely accurate I think

Tried a few more (with various speeds way over 7.6mb...) and the ping is always around >80.

They said if it is not better I should contact Customer Services and ask about a product called IP Rapide? Anyone know what that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ping from command prompt......start-->run-->cmd-->type ping www.boards.ie, post results. Ping times on speedtest servers aren't very accurate

Tried a few more (with various speeds way over 7.6mb...) and the ping is always around >80.

They said if it is not better I should contact Customer Services and ask about a product called IP Rapide? Anyone know what that is?
    Yeah it's a gaming profile, 7.1MB download (interleaving off) and 384KB upload (high interleaving). It will give you great pings on the downstream while still having a big bandwidth. I don't see why BT won't change your profile over to that, ring up and request it. PS: It's called IP Rapid :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement