Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT question..

• 17-06-2009 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

We brought a UK 2003 Freelander last year, paid the VRT and the had the NCT done, and now my wife thinks the NCT up again as a year has passed.

I thought NCT was every two years?? :confused:

Any one any thoughts.

Pip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The expiry date will be on the NCT cert & disc.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It's 2 years, but I think as far as I remember taxi drivers must do it annually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

Quite possibly the case with imported cars. We got a 95 Mini (ex-Japan) last September and the agreed with the seller that it would be NCT'd before purchase.
    We only got the NCT for approx 16months, but the subsequent one will be valid for 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Right so, Looks like it is up then as disc says so. Maybe we'll get 2 years this time round. Although I've just heard there is a back log, and can't get tested until late september!!

Great system.

Thanks for the replies.

Pip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,470 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It quite simple. NCT is always due on the birth date of the car and on a 2 year cycle.
    Edit: additional info.
    So this means that if your car was irish it would have been due its first test 2 years ago and its second test now. You just happened to bring the car in when it was half way through that cycle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

mickdw wrote: »
    It quite simple. NCT is always due on the birth date of the car and on a 2 year cycle.

So that would mean that our NCT should not be this year, but next?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...or when you import it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Apip99 wrote: »
    Right so, Looks like it is up then as disc says so. Maybe we'll get 2 years this time round. Although I've just heard there is a back log, and can't get tested until late september!!

Great system.

Thanks for the replies.

Pip

You get it done every 2 years from the date of registration.(It's 4 years for the first NCT though) Say the car was registered in Feb 2003, it would be due its first NCT in Feb 07, you bought it last year so the NCT would have taken you to FEB this year. When you NCT it this time it'll take you to Feb 2011. Even if you waited till Jan 2011 to do the NCT, it'll still expire in Feb 2011.

Apip99 wrote: »
    So that would mean that our NCT should not be this year, but next?

YOur NCT is already up, meanign its overdue.

See edit to my post above.
    The date of import doesnt have any effect on nct date. Its set in stone from date of original registration. So its falls due when car is 4, 6, 8, 10 etc years old exactly, not 2 years etc from import

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

See edit to my post above.
    The date of import doesnt have any effect on nct date. Its set in stone from date of original registration. So its falls due when car is 4, 6, 8, 10 etc years old exactly, not 2 years etc from import
    If thats in response to my post then what I had meant was that if you import a car then it is due an NCT immediately regardless of when it is would be due one. That NCT cert lasts for up to two years depending on the when it was first registered abroad (so in reality it may only be a few months or as in the OPs case, 1 year).

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    If thats in response to my post then what I had meant was that if you import a car then it is due an NCT immediately regardless of when it is would be due one. That NCT cert lasts for up to two years depending on the when it was first registered abroad (so in reality it may only be a few months or as in the OPs case, 1 year).

Sorry no, just trying to clear up situation for the op.

Advertisement