Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips, Youtube, websites on cooking outdoors?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I'm hoping to get out camping again soon.

Each time a head out I try to make it more pleasurable than the previous time. I love the outdoors and the exercise.....but a really love my grub, really nice well prepared grub.

Does anyone has any tips or links to websites that offer good tips on cooking outdoors.

These tips can range from the "never ever!!!" .....
    ......to the "how to flambé dublin bay prawns on a open fire"

I'm not afraid of the rough and tough and I'm never afraid to try the exoctic.
    I'm looking for both!! :)

I'd love to try a spit roast (no smart comments :P).
    Maybe start small with a rabbit (or any suggeustions are welcome).

I did a whole salmon last year with butter, lemon and dill wrapped in tinfoil on the fire. Amazing.
    I can still taste it, now when I have salmon at home it pales in comparison. :(

So thanks in advance folks for any tasty little tips or must do's and don'ts.

:)

Just reading back over that mail, its probably the gayest sounding thing I've ever said in public.
    Rock on!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I went camping in Hidden Valley campsite in Rathdrum last week and the local Chinese takeaway dilivered to our tent.
    No Kidding:D.
    Now thats what I call camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Lazy option - cook before hand and freeze!! I always do that, its handy out and you only have to cook veg and carbs!!! That said I am cooking for 30 scouts...

You can cook anything really how all depends on how adverterous you are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

lots of options for camping. far too many to list. for bread make a mix (or buy a readymix) and cook it on a stick or in your pot covered in embers.
    i do a nice pasta dish with chorizo from liddle, caramelized onion, tomaoes and mushroooms, and whater i find growing wild. do buckwheat pasta in the other pot and you are good.
    seriously, if you can cook in a kitchen, you can cook outdoors. just streamline your cooking so only one thing needs to be on the heat at a time. i think of it as "one slow cooking thing, and one fast cooking thing". if its on a fire, then go nuts. large billy pot for stews, spit roast, ground oven, ember bake.

for reference, bushcraftuk has a food subsection of its forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Thanks folks, and esp big thanks to you irishlostboy.

This is what I was looking for http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Can't beat a frying pan full of mince for breakfast when camping ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement