Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Frameworks

• 17-06-2009 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

What Framework do you prefer to use (if any)?

Up until recently most of my projects were quite complex and I built my own framework of sorts based on MVC. There are obvious flaws with this mainly it might be tough for another developer to get to grips with my system of doing things and my own skills will suffer as I won't be up to scratch with industry standard stuff. But on the other hand it is lightning fast and I know it inside out and it is considerably simpler than some of the bloated frameworks on the market.

So, is it a good idea to continue to use a custom PHP framework? Assume the code/logic is sound (I know a big assumption). Or would I be better off (personally and for my clients) if I used an industry standard framework?

A third option is touched upon here http://toys.lerdorf.com/archives/38-The-no-framework-PHP-MVC-framework.html
    ie: don't use a framework, but follow a general way of structuring your site/files etc. This is actually quite similar to what I came up with.

I downloaded Zend, Cake and Symphony and went through all the tutorials. Zend now has about 3,000 files producing a simple Guestbook application. The code running cake still supports PHP4 and looked fairly awful. The second I saw smphony has a builtin function called draggable_image or something similar which actually creates a JS enabled draggable image pulling in CSS/JS I closed the application right away. Why the hell would I need access to a draggable_image function in every single site I develop? God knows what else they have bloating the file system.

So, is there an inustry standard framework out there which just covers the essentials?

Comments

Advertisement