Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

clocked - opinions?

• 17-06-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

looking for a car at the moment and spotted something that i may be interested in, but one of the photos set alams bells ringing. To my mind this looks like the clutch pedal has a lot of ware on it, indicating a good bit more that 60k miles advertised - any opinions/thoughts?

img4a29d10c4f8bc.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Or a car that has done 60k miles around town.

Rest of the car doesn't look rough so I'd be thinking last driver rode the clutch a fair bit. Still if it has a service history get it verified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

EPM wrote: »
    Still if it has a service history get it verified
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sure it's an Alfa, probably from push starting the car!!!

As said, probably from driving around town/city centre, rather than long-ish driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You'd probably get a better laugh out of that one down the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

As said, probably from driving around town/city centre, rather than long-ish driving.

And what car are you driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Well spotted! Could help in haggling down the price if your heart

is set on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

rest of the interier looks good, it could also just be a damp stain from washing the car, person gets in amd moves car straight away then gets out and takes photos.

but check it out in person, dont be fooled by camera trickery :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't really see a problem... the rubber might be a bit perished or maybe it's just dirt! go and drive it, look at the history etc.

End of the day it's an Alfa so a bit of perished rubber on pedal will be the least of your worries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

pcardin wrote: »
    And what car are you driving?

One that doesn't need a push start... Jesus lad, it was only a joke, a poor one, but a joke none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Anan1 wrote: »
    You'd probably get a better laugh out of that one down the pub.

Or even here, provided you've a sense of humour. I suppose the trick is to realise that Alfa's are not in fact one big adventure. Lets face it, you wont be driving to work whilst manually turning the water pump by hand, while your two mates laugh at you, followed by a hidden support crew. You will in fact be broken down, waiting on the replacment car your insurance will provide, while the Alfa gets towed away to yet another garage for repairs.

Great looking cars, good drive when they are driving, but all in all, dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

EnterNow wrote: »

Oh you've gone and started it now. :D You're not allowed to speak of Alfas badly ( honestly ) in here. :P

but all in all, dirt.

Just like your above post:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Or even here, provided you've a sense of humour. I suppose the trick is to realise that Alfa's are not in fact one big adventure. Lets face it, you wont be driving to work whilst manually turning the water pump by hand, while your two mates laugh at you, followed by a hidden support crew. You will in fact be broken down, waiting on the replacment car your insurance will provide, while the Alfa gets towed away to yet another garage for repairs.

Listen mate, that's a great contribution and all that - really useful! However your comments have got nothing to do with the origional question.

There are people out there who want to buy alfas, in the same way there are people out there who want to by almerias or golfs. Others would like to buy a nice car! :)

Btw do your research on the GTs realibitity have a look at honestjohn.co.uk or parkers.co.uk before making broad sweeping comment.

Please do not turn this into an alfa bashing thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Re the worn clutch pedal, I had to replace the rubber on both my old 147 and my current GT-it is either a design fault or poor quality components IMHO.

I notice that the orginal mats are missing-from the drivers side anyway-I have just done 61,000 miles in my GT and the drivers side mat is still in great condition. Original mats for the GT are very plush-they cost around £50 in the UK and are worth buying, or at least haggle down the asking price of the car you are looking at above.

The creases on the drivers seat look comparable to my car-I can only assume the previous owner was overweight and used the car a lot!

With that mileage, the question I would be asking is whether the timing belt (and waterpump) were changed.

I also find my GT fairly 'crashy', i.e. the ride is good on the open road, but around our towns and cities crappy streets, it isn't great. Some of this is down to the fact that the original setup isn't great (I'll be upgrading to Konis etc as soon as I can afford it), but it could also be due to wear-something to consider when taking a test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Alfa cars are sh1te :D

*runs out of the thread quickly*

P.S To the OP, get in and drive it somewhere then get out and inspect it with a fine tooth comb. It's a buyers market so as you said you can make a low offer on it or another car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Wow, some touchy folks round here when you speak ill of the mothers Alfa. Sure everone loves to poke-a-joke about an Alfa, it has brightend up many a day!!

Wouldnt worry to much about the clutch pedal being worn. We have replaced 2 clutch pedals in a transit in space of 60k miles. As some suggested, if last owner was a clutch jockey, should be lucky there is rubber left at all on it.

EPM wrote: »
    Just like your above post:rolleyes:

All true though
    comanche wrote: »
    Listen mate

Im not your mate.

However you are correct, Im not here to turn this into a bashing thread so my sincere apologies. However if you do decide to buy the Alfa, take notes of these sites;

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/default.asp
    www.rac.ie

Happy driving, mate:rolleyes:

Im not your mate.

yawn....

All true though

Im not your mate.

However you are correct, Im not here to turn this into a bashing thread so my sincere apologies. However if you do decide to buy the Alfa, take notes of these sites;

https://secure.aaireland.ie/personal-membership/default.asp
    www.rac.ie

Happy driving, mate:rolleyes:

I love the random ramblings. Just out of interest do you own/drive an Alfa?

Aside from having worked in an Alfa garage for a year, and having owned a 156 previously, no I dont. Why are you taking this so personally? Does it bother you that I think Alfas reliability is so bad? If it does, then I suggest you stop crying and visit http://www.getalife.ie/ for something to do

• Advertisement

Aside from having worked in an Alfa garage for a year, and having owned a 156 previously, no I dont. Why are you taking this so personally? Does it bother you that I think Alfas reliability is so bad? If it does, then I suggest you stop crying and visit http://www.getalife.ie/ for something to do

when and where was your opinion on the reliability of alfas asked for? ... now tottle off back to the playground.

Wll fair enough if you have had a bad experience with your own car (had it with a Focus, father with a Nissan both of which known to be generally reliable) but a lot of Alfa problems are down to poor mantainance on the owners part, i.e. self inflicted. Since 2005 on there has been serious gains in terms of quality.

It doesn't bother me in the least that you think they're so bad. But in the midst of your concern for my crying and not having a life it may have escaped your mind that this is a public discussionforum where people often discuss topics. If people didnt have differing opinions it would be boring about here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Drop it lads.
    I won't ask again, stick to the topic at hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Trinny_Wicklow

Check the service dates and the mileage beside them to see if there are any changes along the way.

Along with the pedals check the steering wheel for any wear.

Check this piece out on the NCA's website about car clocking - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Buying-a-car/clocked-cars.html

Just get the car and enjoy it and keep cash aside to cover issues which will arise in future... but buy the decent car and not the diesel... 3.2 V6 petrol all the way :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

Interesting thread when I'm talking about my 156 with 156,000 MILES on the clock in another thread. Never needed any major work done, just servicing / belts and a couple of bushes.

Just get it checked out and verified OP

By God it's brilliant

:D:D:D:D

Test drove the car on Monday - sweet car, sweet price. The dark spot on the clutch in the picture turned out to be the alfa insignia on the clutch. Not a thing wrong with the car - in fact once I got the car out on the open road you couldn't get the smile off my face - thank goodness the salesman wasn't sitting beside me as he would have known there and then that it was the car for me!

The bad news is I decided not to buy - timing of purchase just not right ... :mad: ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Sorry to hear that OP.
    Glad it wasn't as shady as you thought it would be though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PelicanLegend

I'm currently selling my car and was accused of "clocking" the milage based on a worn clutch. What do you say to that? City driving? fat bloke owned the car before me? doesnt sound very scientific
    I just said it wasnt clocked and didnt even entertain him.

• Advertisement

I'd agree with that - I'd nearly ignore that kind of question.

Is the clutch worn or the clutch pedal rubber?

Do you have a stamped up service history or anything else that would have a dated history of the mileage?

thats pretty much what i did. My cars imported so I only have records going back to when I VRT'ed it so unless it was done before i bought it but I wasnt going to get into hypothetical situations like that. I just said he's welcome to have a mechanic take a look, like i did when i bought it.

Its actually still for sale if your interested Chris, over on adverts.ie :D

Ah the effects of watching wheeler dealer!

If the rubber is warn it must be clocked...
    Never buy a car advertised with a ready to go mobile number because it could be stolen and you'll never track them down...

dumbest show out there!

I sell cars, I don't buy 'em! :p:D

Seriously it was like that scene in Zoolander when Derek asks David Duchovny (sp??) "but why male models" for the second time. i sort of did a double take when i realised he's serious

Advertisement