Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Dublin to Belfast

• 17-06-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi,

I am due to travel up to belfast city in 3 weeks for a dental visit. I can either drive up or I can get the train. The only problem with getting the train is that it leaves me at queens station and I have to walk about 40minutes to get to the dental practice.

I have mentioned it to a few people that i am thinking of travelling up for this and they said that I would need to be careful that:

1. The wheels on my car (and my car as a whole) are left intact when the people of belfast see a dublin reg car.
    2. If I am taking the train, when i am making my 40minute walk to my destination because there is alot of trouble up there.

I have been told that alot of people travel up north for shopping and dont have any problems, but these people travel to Newry which (from what ive been told) is far different from travelling into belfast city itself.

Are these statements accurate. Would I be better off getting the train/taking the car/ or cancelling my appointment in Belfast and try make one in Newry instead?

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

The "few people" you have talked to are stupid
    Have been to Belfast many many times by train, bus and car and never once have I had a problem
    Was there for a weekend with the GF a few months ago and only ever met nice friendly people

When I was there last I got a little lost and someone came over and kindly asked was I ok and then helped me get to where I was trying to go

PS Im a Dub btw

BH

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

I've stayed in Belfast on countless ocassions and have always travelled by car,You and your car have nothing to worry about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The train up to Belfast is lovely, if you do get it check here

http://www.translink.co.uk/

for public transport info to see if you can get a bus to avoid the 40 minute walk. It ain't dangerous at all to walk from the train station into the city! I'd be way more worried bout gettin to Connolly to get the train there and avoiding the roaming hordes of junkies at the luas stop there.

Last time I got the train home from Belfast I landed in the train station about 2 hours early, hungover after a wedding, asked a conductor guy on the platform bout the chances of getting on the earlier one (fully expecting to be told no) and he not only got me on the train he found me a window seat and hooshed my bag up into the overhead compartment for me. Was delira :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Im sure your trip is over, tho was trying to figure out why the train stopped near Queens Uni, without going on to Glengall Street Station.

Would have offered a lift if Id seen this earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ceepeedee

You need to find new friends! As a guy who owned a shop on the Castlereagh Road once said to me, the money's the same colour, you'll be welcomed with open arms.
    If you've not yet made the trip, I'd say take your car - the road to Belfast is magic and Belfast itself is easy to get around. I reckon you're slignificantly less likely to get assaulted/have your car vandalised in Belfast than you would be in Dublin.
    And if you decide to get the train, well, it's hard to figure where you'd need to walk 40 minutes to get to in preference to spending a quid on the Metro (Belfast's pink buses). And there's always cabs! Methinks if you're getting dental treatment up here, then you're easily saving enough money to have all sorts of transport options opened up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Enjoy your trip to Belfast and good luck with the dental work. Would be interested to know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

djt0607 wrote: »
    1. The wheels on my car (and my car as a whole) are left intact when the people of belfast see a dublin reg car.

Probably safer in Belfast city centre then many area of Dublin.
    Sure I once left an unlocked TN car unlocked on Sandy Row :eek:
    And not even touched as I returned from my 9-5 job.
    Not to be repeated though!
    djt0607 wrote: »
    I have been told that alot of people travel up north for shopping and dont have any problems, but these people travel to Newry which (from what ive been told) is far different from travelling into belfast city itself.

Your friends are fools!
    If the extent of their knowledge is going shopping in Newry and not actually living and working in NI, then take the advice the people who have done this over your friends

I hear that shopping in Newry, and Enniskillen is a nightmare these days.

ceepeedee wrote: »

Didnt know Walmart were in Ireland.

• Advertisement

weepee wrote: »
    Didnt know Walmart were in Ireland.

They are through Asda, by stealth!

ceepeedee wrote: »
    They are through Asda, by stealth!
    Thanx-ya learn something new everyday.

Sainsbury's opened their new superstore on the Falls Road in Belfast two weeks ago.

If anyone wants to visit it, from the M1 make an exit at J2, then first left, [Kennedy Way], drive up to roundabout, then third exit, [Falls Road], strait on for half mile,
    Sainsbyry's on right.

PS: Youll pass an Asda Superstore and a Lidl while on Falls Road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks,

I'm travelling up to Belfast in a few weeks.

I wasn't concerned as I've been to Belfast (well Ikea) a few times, but anyhoo its great to see misinformation crushed!!! :)

Anyway the reason I'm posting is to see if anyone knows a way to Belfast that would see me coming off the M1 before Newry and bypassing Newry and Banbridge completely.

I'm on Google Map at the moment and thinking of coming off the M1 after Dundalk and heading up the R177 towards Newtownhamilton then up to Armagh and head towards Belfast on the A3 then M1 (Ulster M1, of course).

Is this insane, will i save any time?

It will be a Saturday inDecember so I'm thinking the Road from Dublin to Banbridge will be absolutley crazy!!!!

If anyone has a good route but wants to keep it on the QT then you can pm me and I'll keep my mouth shut :pac: ...I promise!!

Any info welcome...

Thanks Folks,

Your right-its insane.

A question tho?

Why do you wish to take the tourist trail??????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm travelling up to Belfast in a few weeks.

I wasn't concerned as I've been to Belfast (well Ikea) a few times, but anyhoo its great to see misinformation crushed!!! :)

Anyway the reason I'm posting is to see if anyone knows a way to Belfast that would see me coming off the M1 before Newry and bypassing Newry and Banbridge completely.

I'm on Google Map at the moment and thinking of coming off the M1 after Dundalk and heading up the R177 towards Newtownhamilton then up to Armagh and head towards Belfast on the A3 then M1 (Ulster M1, of course).

Is this insane, will i save any time?

It will be a Saturday inDecember so I'm thinking the Road from Dublin to Banbridge will be absolutley crazy!!!!

If anyone has a good route but wants to keep it on the QT then you can pm me and I'll keep my mouth shut :pac: ...I promise!!

Any info welcome...

Thanks Folks,

When I was living nr Dublin I bypassed Newry using M1- Ardee, then N2-Carrickmacross, then R and B road to Keady-Armagh. But then again I was trying to get to Armagh. In the insanity of last year that saved me anywhere from 30-60mins on trying to get round Newry.

I'm not sure how much youd save on an onward trip to Belfast though. Am also not sure how bad Newry is these days - since I returned to NI I avoid the place like the plague like most other norners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

weepee wrote: »
    Your right-its insane.

A question tho?

Why do you wish to take the tourist trail??????????????????

Hi Weepee.

Not sure I get ya here?!?:confused:

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the way I am going here?

Which route would be best, I am unfamiliar with that whole neck of the woods?

Thanks.

oldscoil wrote: »
    Hi Weepee.

Not sure I get ya here?!?:confused:

Is there something fundamentally wrong with the way I am going here?

Which route would be best, I am unfamiliar with that whole neck of the woods?

Thanks.

Well if it were me.

Id come up the new motorway, past Drogheda and Dundalk, then take the Newry by-pass and onto the A1 which leads directly onto the M1 and Westlink.

Dublin to Belfast-less than 2 hours.

Not sure if they're finished rock blasting at Newry tho, some delays can be expected if they arent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I last drove it about a month ago and you if you go the 'normal' route you'd have to stay on the A1 - the bypass wasn't fully operational and there were still major roadworks on it, which made the A1 even more congested. I sat in crawling traffic on the A1 into Newry for over an hour on a Wednesday afternoon.

You 'might' save time going via Armagh, depending how bad Newry is. It's still a bottleneck, or it was a month ago. At least on the scenic route there's stuff to look at.

Well that bit I wasnt sure about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

You need to take turn for jonesborough on the M1 - then follow signs to newry. You will rejoin the traffic at the roundabout where everyone else on the motorway has been queuing for an hour to get to. It wil take you about 10-15mins max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Bellies

Hi All,

I fly into Belfast Airport early monrnig next week and have a meeting in Carrigfergus in the afternoon.

I have a about 5 hours to kill, I'm wondering how far away is Carrigfergus from the airport and the fastest means of transport to get there?

Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Bellies

I'm sure it's Belfast City Airport!? Thats great thanks for the info.

No I'll have no luggage, just myself, jacket and laptop! Is there a shopping centre/ coffee shops out there where I can chill out for a while and have a bite to eat! (I know this sounds stupid, but have never ever been up there before).

How far is it from the city centre roughly 30min?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Bellies wrote: »
    I'm sure it's Belfast City Airport!? Thats great thanks for the info.

No I'll have no luggage, just myself, jacket and laptop! Is there a shopping centre/ coffee shops out there where I can chill out for a while and have a bite to eat! (I know this sounds stupid, but have never ever been up there before).

How far is it from the city centre roughly 30min?

City airport is about 20-30 minute walk from the centre(Belfast isn't so big!), so couple of minutes in taxi/airport bus. Loads of places to sit and chill out, 2 main shopping centres are Castle court & victoria square. I would guess coffee and snacks are ridiculously overpriced and they may not be the most comfortable place to sit for few hours, few other coffee shops(starbucks) and cafe's about outside the big centres. Walk about and you'll find somewhere.

I think easist way to get to Carrickfergus is train. It leaves from central station pretty regulary(but check times), its only 10min walk from city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

Route I have taken in the past is to take turnoff on M1 at Jonesboro exit and bypass Forkhill which eventually leads out at Newry roundabout under new bridge being constructed on M1. At least you bypass tailback on M1 into Newry which can save considerable time. No real other route in my experience but would be interested to hear other opinions.

Bellies wrote: »
    Hi All,

I fly into Belfast Airport early monrnig next week and have a meeting in Carrigfergus in the afternoon.

I have a about 5 hours to kill, I'm wondering how far away is Carrigfergus from the airport and the fastest means of transport to get there?

Thanks!!

If you take a cab from the airport into town, you'll get one outside.
    Price-no more that £6-£7.

Tell the driver to drop you at the Victoria Center, you'll kill an hour or so there, and grab a bite to eat.

From town to Carrick-about 20-30 minutes depending n time of day.

Try one of the big taxi companies [stay away from the black hackney cabs].

Fonacab 02890 333333

Valuecabs 02890 809080

It shouldnt cost more than £20.

PS: If you require a cab from Carrick back to Belfast or the airport, either company will do the job nicely.

Advertisement