Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State helicpoter to fly to GAA match

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭dennistuam

el prez is a joke she give a copy of her autobiografy to pope benny
    he probably chucked it in the bin
    she did nt give the unoffical warts and all one that was printed
    about making petrol bombs and collecting rubber dickies (RUBBER bULLETS)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

jmayo wrote: »
    FFS give over about unusual locations and unknown conditions :mad:

You ever try flying to a new location? Even with GPS, it's rather an interesting exercise trying to figure out just where you are, what the best approach routes are, and what effects the terrain will have on the wind and your flight path.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You ever try flying to a new location? Even with GPS, it's rather an interesting exercise trying to figure out just where you are, what the best approach routes are, and what effects the terrain will have on the wind and your flight path.

NTM

Yes I have and without a GPS. It is more difficult in an aeroplane because your approach options are limited and it is easier in a heli in that you can at least hover to get your bearings.
    Also it is a two crew operation so one can navigate and the other can aviate.

BTW they were probably landing on a football pitch in a pretty flat surburban setting beside a smallish stadium, which doesn't have high stands. No big buildings, no mountains etc ...
    Only thing to be aware of are power lines and a military pilot should be able to handle it in his sleep.
    BTW the stadium would be pretty visible in the grans scheme of the town, we are not talking greater LA here :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

And I dont think the president should be a passenger in a training manoeuvre...I would assume that whoever is flying the president is fully qualified to fly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

I would submit that that is not the fault of the politicians. Had any battalion or brigade commander requested the use of the helicopters and been denied in order to make this VIP mission happen?

I thought it was because the government was too cheap to buy enough helicopters to make a deployment feasible and still meet domestic requirements. That, and they were too afraid that they might lose one.

NTM

i would suggest that given the training and readiness state of the Irish Army and Air Corps, any commander not using those assets for every second that they are available should be shot!

the people responsible for not kicking the Irish Army and AC to readiness are the COS and the Defence Minster, if Battalion and Brigade CO's aren't grabbing every training opportunity that exists then its because the COS and DM either aren't putting the right people in the job, or perhaps worse, they are putting the 'right' people in the job...

i'd also be interested to know who gets tasking priority - mortar section or fat minster wanting to open an off licence?

your point about the Govt refusing to stump up for a viable, deployable force while wanting something to showboat with is of course true, but it doesn't stop the Army doing the best it can with what's available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement