Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cuts in Cork bus services

Options
  • 17-06-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

The two northside routes are among several city and county routes being cut or curtailed as part of the cost-cutting measures Bus Éireann says are essential. The company has also outlined proposals to cut all services after 7pm on the: No 3 Ballyphehane to Farranree route; No 6 Grange to South Mall route; No 10 Mahon Point to Glasheen route; No 14 St Patrick’s Street to CUH route; and No 16 South Mall to Mount Oval route. There are also plans to curtail or reduce the frequency of services after 7pm on the: No 2 Knocknaheeny to Mahon route; No 5 Merchant’s Quay to Mallow Road route; No 7 Donnybrook to Ballyvolane route; and No 8 Mayfield to Bishopstown route.

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/bus-stopped-in-save-our-route-protest-94266.html

Did anybody else see this? Anyone else affected/outraged by these cuts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

These cuts are insane! The bus service that exists at the moment is in dire need of improvement. For a city the size of cork, it is a third world service. And now they want to dismantle what meagre service the city has. All to pay for the 4 billion the have just given Anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ah for feck sake they are spreading the number 2 further out after 7 not!!! I usually wait so long that I end up getting a taxi as it is!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Scandalous. Cork needs a lot less cars and a lot more buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Scandalous. Cork needs a lot less cars and a lot more buses.

i'm sure the poor bus service as is didnt help the current car numbers.

our traffic problem isn't as bad as limerick or dublin. But our bus service is far worse.

Cutting the no. 6, i know from experience is usually busy even at night. They should not be allowed not offer some people services on these routes. It would be nice if they relinquished the CIE monopoly and allowed others to come in and offer alternative services.

Having the bus the same price as dublin is bad form also.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I'm outraged . This is scandalous .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

FFS, the no. 10 barely runs as it is. Every 25 minutes is not sufficient, and it barely runs once an hour after 7 already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

eh. its alright. i'm sure there will be enough buses around. i somehow cant get myself worked up over this and when i'm in collitch i go on the bus all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

the service from carrigaline is a bloody disgrace for one of the largest commuter towns in Ireland we don't have reg bus service. though grange and donnybrooke have buses every 15 mins. to go out at the weekend on a Saturday night you either have a choice of 8.10 a 9.35 and 10.20 that's a bit ridiculous as the ques for the 9.35 bus is always too busy and you end up standing and it's a marybourgh hill bus so it takes an extra 20 mins to get in. I'd take a taxi in and out if i could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Faith wrote: »
    FFS, the no. 10 barely runs as it is. Every 25 minutes is not sufficient, and it barely runs once an hour after 7 already.

Exactly. It should be one of the more regular buses imo. Expecially if we go to Mahon for the cinema etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Heard about this. Like...no buses as far as i can see going into town on a thursday (students!) friday or saturday night in most areas....absolutly ****ing crazy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Some days you could be waiting 40 minutes for a No. 7 and now they want to stop it after 7. I know that most of the people around my area who would be going to town for a night out would mostly use the bus as a way of getting into town. I feel a demonstration coming on. I say we should make a boards.ie Cork City Section banner:p

Advertisement