Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Trouble!! :(

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

My view, for what it's worth, is that there are serious issues with fixed term tenancies of longer than 6 months. It's a long, complicated argument to do with European consumer law and the exact phraseology of the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA), but it is unlikely that a full 12 months of rent can be gotten as compensation for leaving early.

In general, the RTA seems to make fixed term tenancies longer than five months a bad idea, mainly from the point of view of the landlord. If you give someone a 12 month lease, you are essentially making it impossible for yourself to give someone notice to leave without cause for 4 years. At least the RTA free-standing gives you the right to terminate a tenancy in the first 6 months.

Being stuck with a tenant you don't want for four years is a lot worse than losing a tenant you do want (in my opinion).

Of course, if anyone needs legal advice, they should get a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

D3PO wrote: »
    well if you dont negotiate a break clause then you get what your deserve quite frankly

Most people get awat scott free, never heard of anyone having to pay out the rest of a lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Arathorn wrote: »
    Most people get awat scott free, never heard of anyone having to pay out the rest of a lease.

That was probably back when they could get a new tenant within a few days. Now every penny counts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Egbon121

I am looking for a nice and easy going Male to share 2 bedroom with around clontarf or anywhere not far to the city center. Or if anyone have a double room available to rent in 2 bed flat in north side.Not ownwer occupied please. Not more than 400 0r 500 euros every month. I work in Clontarf. Please email back or give me a call on 0879394503.. Thanks

Advertisement