Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the property market bottom out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

well Goodbodys said it was approx 50,000 back last november so maybe i shaved a bit off the total. dont think we have had many new home completions since then .

the post is referring to figures with holiday homes inclusive. That has nothing to do with house prices unless they are to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

gurramok wrote: »
    You're talking about unsold stock. The poster is talking about empty often sold stock.
    Source CSO 2006 and ESB connections.

Each unoccupied property most often has a mortgage on it hence each one that gets into difficulty affects the market.

Thank you, I clearly stated empty not unsold. Stats to back up:

Sources
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/statistical_yearbook_ireland_2008.htm
    (Census 2006 Data All of the tables in sections 21.3 onwards )

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/HousingStatistics/
    (House Completions)

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/esb_networks_summary_statistics.pdf
    (Houses with ESB Connections to end 2006 )

Thank you, I clearly stated empty not unsold. Stats to back up:

Sources
    http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/statistical_yearbook_ireland_2008.htm
    (Census 2006 Data All of the tables in sections 21.3 onwards )

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/StatisticsandRegularPublications/HousingStatistics/
    (House Completions)

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/downloads/esb_networks_summary_statistics.pdf
    (Houses with ESB Connections to end 2006 )

ok so explain how "empty" houses impact the property price. I fI own a holiday home down in wexford that I used for holidays suprisingly enough how has that any impact ? If Im not putting the property on the market is has no effect on housing prices whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

D3PO wrote: »
    ok so explain how "empty" houses impact the property price.

A few minutes ago you tried to shoot him down with a smart ass reply about proof but you ended up on your ass.

Now you want him to explain how the property market works and what it is affected by. :D

A few minutes ago you tried to shoot him down with a smart ass reply about proof but you ended up on your ass.

no i dont think i did. unsold stock = approx 50,000 houses not hundreds of thousands

his quote "hundreds of thousands of empty housing stock" housing stock does not equal holiday homes therefore i was right

• Advertisement

ok so explain how "empty" houses impact the property price. I fI own a holiday home down in wexford that I used for holidays suprisingly enough how has that any impact ? If Im not putting the property on the market is has no effect on housing prices whatsoever

From 2006...
    This analysis showed that as many as 265,000 homes were vacant last April - an increase of 94,000 on the vacancy level disclosed in the 2002 census.

However a call to the CSO revealed that a substantial portion of these homes are under construction.
    http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/irelands-empty-house-hangover-67970.html

So your telling me that there is 200k+ holiday homes? That's almost 1 in 6 households owns an Irish holiday home! And what else, that none of these properties will be on the market in the future? Property taxes looming...

Now you want him to explain how the property market works and what it is affected by. :D

hmm your comprehension isnt too sharp. I asked him to explain his point. he got it wrong re housing stock then reverting to including holiday homes in his numbers. My point is holiday homes that are owned and not for sale have no impact on house prices. He seems to think they do. There is no basis for this so if he thinks there is then he should explain it.

how is that asking how the property market works please go troll somewhere else :rolleyes:

From 2006...

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/property/irelands-empty-house-hangover-67970.html

So your telling me that there is 200k+ holiday homes? That's almost 1 in 6 households owns an Irish holiday home! And what else, that none of these properties will be sold? Property taxes looming...

I never said none of them would be sold but I can tell you there wont be hundreds and thousands of them adding to housing stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Nice nickname. Where exactly is Borris In Ossory?

Must get down there pronto to buy ;):D

I'll have you know it's an outer Dublin suburb on the Laois/Tipperary border with a burgeoning population of 200 and boasting a skyline resembling Manhattan. (seriously population roughly correct but buildings in the area could accommodate 4-5000 people easily, many of them apartments !!!!). It will be at the junction of 2 motorways however so maybe interesting from that perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

no i dont think i did. unsold stock = approx 50,000 houses not hundreds of thousands

his quote "hundreds of thousands of empty housing stock" housing stock does not equal holiday homes therefore i was right

He was right, admit it. If there are 50,000 holiday homes and another 300,000+ empties including unsold stock, do you understand?

Now this part is crazy talk
    "I fI own a holiday home down in wexford that I used for holidays suprisingly enough how has that any impact ? If Im not putting the property on the market is has no effect on housing prices whatsoever
    "

You are one of the 50,000. If one of the other 49,999 gets into difficulty from job/paying mortgage/negative equity, more than often one or both PPR and holiday home goes onto the market to clear debts.

Same goes for the 300,000+ empties bought by investors/speculators. Its all relative, understand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dapo1981

I don't think we're a million miles from the bottom. Although the higher end is still quite over-valued. Am basing this on what seems to be an accepted metric for property valuations in the US, being 14*annual rental income. Typical 2-bed appt in city centre is now going for 250 or less (this is what realistic sellers/agents are selling for, there are, admittedly still a lot of dreamers out there). If it's a nice appt you can still expect 1200 a month in rent. This puts the value at just over 200k so whilst there's still a bit to go I think the doom-mongers predicting appartments falling to below 100k are getting carried away.

That represents a huge fall from peak (450k plus) and a disaster for a lot of people, particularly the first time buyers who'll be stuck in negative equity for years to come (I number myself amongst them). That said, it's better for the country as a whole and when the affected generation do manage to drag their way back into equity and maybe into a position to move up we'll benefit greatly from the reduced prices further up the food chain. 3 bed redbricks in the near-town suburbs for 300k - Hurray!

hm firstly link is nearly 3 years old

secondly the link states

However a call to the CSO revealed that a substantial portion of these homes are under construction. (Guess what there is still a portion of these still unbuilt !!!)

also

Another substantial portion are holiday homes

My figures of unsold housing stock come from a goodbodys report produces November 08 unfortunatly i dont have an electronic copy to post a link to, but its fair to say its more up to date than 3 year old data

"

You are one of the 50,000. If one of the other 49,999 gets into difficulty from job/paying mortgage/negative equity, more than often one or both PPR and holiday home goes onto the market to clear debts.

?

Em I never said there were 50k holiday homes read the posts again.

P.S my post re owning a hoiday home was hypothetical. I dont own one

dapo1981 wrote: »
    I don't think we're a million miles from the bottom. Although the higher end is still quite over-valued. Am basing this on what seems to be an accepted metric for property valuations in the US, being 14*annual rental income. Typical 2-bed appt in city centre is now going for 250 or less (this is what realistic sellers/agents are selling for, there are, admittedly still a lot of dreamers out there). If it's a nice appt you can still expect 1200 a month in rent. This puts the value at just over 200k so whilst there's still a bit to go I think the doom-mongers predicting appartments falling to below 100k are getting carried away.

That represents a huge fall from peak (450k plus) and a disaster for a lot of people, particularly the first time buyers who'll be stuck in negative equity for years to come (I number myself amongst them). That said, it's better for the country as a whole and when the affected generation do manage to drag their way back into equity and maybe into a position to move up we'll benefit greatly from the reduced prices further up the food chain. 3 bed redbricks in the near-town suburbs for 300k - Hurray!

You've missed something. Falling rents. Revise downwards your calculations for that apt.

I rent a 2bed in fancy D4 near the city centre for 900 a month. Using your calculations, its worth 151,200.

If a 2bed goes for 151,200 in hob-nob D4, what does it say for the rest of the city centre prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Lottery is a waste of time. Can you not discuss the points I raised no? :rolleyes:
    OK, why not.
    If people think it is going to bottom out in the next 3 years they are either a vested interest or just plain stupid.
    Based on....
    your professional opinion?
    your 'gut feeling'?
    wishful thinking?
    Anyone with a brain knows whats ahead
    When you say 'brain', do you mean 'crystal ball', because IMHO nobody knows whats ahead.
    in terms of rising unemployment
    forever?
    for the next 3+ years ?
    hundreds of thousands of empty housing stock
    Source?
    deflation
    low single digits so far
    25billion+ deficit, banking problem,
    meh
    rising emmigration
    Global recession, emmigration to where?
    and in the future rising interest rates.
    We're going to have deflation and rising interest rates at the same time?
    Are you sure about this?
    House prices are going down down down....you'd be a fool to buy now and only have yourself to blame.
    And we're back to where we started 'I know this for a fact and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong'. Crystal ball again?

hm firstly link is nearly 3 years old

secondly the link states

However a call to the CSO revealed that a substantial portion of these homes are under construction. (Guess what there is still a portion of these still unbuilt !!!)

also

Another substantial portion are holiday homes

My figures of unsold housing stock come from a goodbodys report produces November 08 unfortunatly i dont have an electronic copy to post a link to, but its fair to say its more up to date than 3 year old data
    Em I never said there were 50k holiday homes read the posts again.

P.S my post re owning a hoiday home was hypothetical. I dont own one

Mine was hypothetical too.

Do you understand the relativity of all the empties(sold, unsold, holiday homes) with regards to how it affects the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

I don't think we're a million miles from the bottom. Although the higher end is still quite over-valued.

I agree - I think things will start picking up soon - maybe they already are. I am noticing a lot more sold signs around lately.

But with a gloomy Budget to look forward to in Decemeber - this wont help the market.

I am looking to buy in the near future - maybe Q1 2009. Hoping things are still on the way down.

Fair point on rents fallling, though I don't see them going through the floor. I know there's some adjustment to make for oversupply but does sound like you're getting a great deal. Back in '99 I was renting a not so nice 2-bed in town for £800, so just under e1000. Not sure if deflation will take us back beyond ten years though I could be wrong.

warrenaldo wrote: »
    I agree - I think things will start picking up soon - .

prices are likely to remain static for a period of time before picking up once they settle. They wont pick up soon, but unlike the post a few pages ago the indicators would predict they wont continue to fall for another 3 years like is being mooted.

Disclaimer : Im not a fortune teller any more than anybody else here. My view is based off of economic indicators.

Gurgle wrote: »
    OK, why not.
    Based on....

Previous property bubbles, once they burst, the reduction in price did not just last 3 years, it was more which is why I voted after 2012. When after 2012? That's when I'll get out my lottery ticket ;)
    meh

Your not even debating. The 25 billion deficit and the banking crisis will effect us more then any other factor. Simply put it will reduce people's purchasing power, bank's lending as we know has tighten up and less and less housing are being sold. Can you counter these points or just talk crap?
    We're going to have deflation and rising interest rates at the same time?
    Are you sure about this?

Other EU countries will be out of this recession before us have no doubt about that. ECB will eventually increase the rates on Irish home owners already struggling with higher taxes and paycuts will be hit again.
    And we're back to where we started 'I know this for a fact and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong'. Crystal ball again?

So we should all just shut up and not discuss this? You havent countered any of my points. All my points back up that this will lead to less mortgages given out and more housing stock put on the market.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote:
    prices are likely to remain static for a period of time before picking up once they settle. They wont pick up soon, but unlike the post a few pages ago the indicators would predict they wont continue to fall for another 3 years like is being mooted.

Bookmarked post for future reference :D

What indicators? Enlighten us.
    Fair point on rents fallling, though I don't see them going through the floor. I know there's some adjustment to make for oversupply but does sound like you're getting a great deal. Back in '99 I was renting a not so nice 2-bed in town for £800, so just under e1000. Not sure if deflation will take us back beyond ten years though I could be wrong.

Back then in 1999, there was a genuine shortage of rental accommodation hence high rents.

There is *some* cushion to rents and has been for years, that is Rent Allowance. The recent Bord Snip report has been leaked as that this welfare is going to be tackled by reducing further the amount they give to subsidised rentals in the private sector.

This, along with chronic oversupply and emigration will further hammer rents.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Pretty explosive hour on this thread ;)

I would ask now, to those who are being more bullish here, do you think the market has actually bottomed now?

If not, how long more do you think it will continue to fall?

And if you believe it will continue to fall (and you must if you don't think it has already bottomed), what are the factors that will force it to continue falling?

And of those factors, what will make them "go away" in a short period which will enable the market to truly bottom and level off or even pick up again?

What indicators? Enlighten us.

Dont forget to bookmark my disclaimer also ;)

regarding indicators

main ones would be

Irish Governments fiscal plan to get back to below 6% borrowing of GDP in 3 years time. Logic would dictate that would then lead to relaxation around government spending.

Economic outlook regarding employment OECD and many others indicating that globally employment will probably pick back up Q2 next year with Ireland lagging by about 3 quarters.

Constructino forcasts regarding residential house building. Indicates the current housing stock excess will reduce.

and so on so forth.

again nothing is gauranteed if it was id be in the Bahamas spending my millions and not posting on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Disclaimer : Im not a fortune teller any more than anybody else here. My view is based off of economic indicators.

Any chance of letting us in on these economic indicator's?

The one's I'm looking at is.

Continual rising unemployment.

For those still employment especially secure employment have taken huge hits and have a lot less disposable income = less spending power when it comes to buying a home.

Banks introducing very strict lending criteria.

Threats of more tax hikes and cuts in dec to further remove spending power.

Complete decline of any sort of investment coming to ireland.

mass emigration.

a HUGE overhang in properties.

complete lack of confidence in the housing market.

complete lack of confidence in the goverment.

I could go on.

What one's are indicating your predictions?

spockety wrote: »
    Pretty explosive hour on this thread ;)

I would ask now, to those who are being more bullish here, do you think the market has actually bottomed now?

If not, how long more do you think it will continue to fall?

And if you believe it will continue to fall (and you must if you don't think it has already bottomed), what are the factors that will force it to continue falling?

And of those factors, what will make them "go away" in a short period which will enable the market to truly bottom and level off or even pick up again?

ah you love it.

Im probably in the "bullish" category you mentioned. Nobody can predict how much further we will fall but if you want a precition

im going with 6 quarters more of a fall 3 quarters of stabilisation before gradual recovery if you want to use that word in terms of house priceses a lot more index linked to inflation which I expect to be somewhere in the 3.5 - 4% range

again who can tell we each take a position and we could be miles off

There is *some* cushion to rents and has been for years, that is Rent Allowance. The recent Bord Snip report has been leaked as that this welfare is going to be tackled by reducing further the amount they give to subsidised rentals in the private sector.

I don't know that Rent Allowance really has that much impact, most landlords wont accept it (though that is changing in straitened times admittedly).

Someone else mentioned interest rates and that's surely a far more pressing concern. Given that recent first-timers typically have 250-300k mortgages a 1% rise means around 250euro a month (and don't forget all the high-fliers with far higher mortgages), so if rates creep up towards 5 or 6% base rate I'd expect to see all hell breaking lose, mass repossessions and subsequent fire-sales. I'm not sure if the country could sustain something like that, it'd place an incredible strain on our society as a whole.

regarding indicators

main ones would be

Irish Governments fiscal plan to get back to below 6% borrowing of GDP in 3 years time. Logic would dictate that would then lead to relaxation around government spending.

Economic outlook regarding employment OECD and many others indicating that globally employment will probably pick back up Q2 next year with Ireland lagging by about 3 quarters.

Constructino forcasts regarding residential house building. Indicates the current housing stock excess will reduce.

and so on so forth.

again nothing is gauranteed if it was id be in the Bahamas spending my millions and not posting on here ;)

So your just listening to other people's forecast's and are taken them at face value with no creative input or authentic thought process of your own?

Where will the jobs in Ireland be generated?

are we going to become a global super power in green energy?

will the knowledge economy suddenly sprout wings?

have you any actuall thoughts of your own on it?

it just sounds like you over heard some moron on newstalk and re spouted it here

I don't know that Rent Allowance really has that much impact, most landlords wont accept it (though that is changing in straitened times admittedly).

they must be taken it as it's costing the country a small fortune.

regarding indicators

main ones would be

and so on so forth.

Public finances - thats a 5yr plan of around €4bn-€5bn a year. How is that 'relaxation around government spending'?

Q2 2010, you say 3 quarters later and if my maths are right, thats Q1 2011 you say Ireland will pick up?

Construction- you are relying on excess stock to clear in order to stimulate demand.
    Afraid, it does not work like that.

-What about the 30,000 odd people a year that die, most would own houses -then we deal with emigration, immigrants leaving aka demographics
    -access to credit, its getting more restricted...aka normal lending on the horizon
    -interest rates going up for eurozone as they will be recovered first
    -and it all depends on the economy dealing with a predicted structural 17% unemployment rate by then.

If i read it right, you are saying Q1 2011 will be when the house prices will bottom out based on your economic indicators, correct?

• Advertisement

Someone else mentioned interest rates and that's surely a far more pressing concern. Given that recent first-timers typically have 250-300k mortgages a 1% rise means around 250euro a month (and don't forget all the high-fliers with far higher mortgages), so if rates creep up towards 5 or 6% base rate I'd expect to see all hell breaking lose, mass repossessions and subsequent fire-sales. I'm not sure if the country could sustain something like that, it'd place an incredible strain on our society as a whole.

the rate will creep towards 5 - 6% thats for sure its ony a matter of when.

Advertisement