Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Q-Con 09

• 17-06-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! I've never been to this before myself but looks cool. I had a look on the website about the gaming format, 2 screens for SF!? So I assume thats just 2 consoles. It doesn't seem to be nowhere near enough which is putting me off a bit.

Would anyone know the timetable for it though? Because they just say on the website Saturday Morning/Afternoon/Evening. The cutoff point for afternoon would be obvious I know :) but what time does for the morning/evening session?

I know Q-Con isn't primarily focused on gaming. More about the anime side of things which is cool but I'd be a total noob as I've only seriously started watching them last year (Ghost in the shell). I've seen all 3 SF films if that counts as anime.

Anyway, so who's going? If I'm going, I'll probably only go and come back for Saturday but will look into accommodation anyway incase its a lot better than what I think it would be :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm sure this event will be well organised. Mr_Kyle will be able to explain how the event is ran better than I.If I see him I'll point him in this direction if he does not see this thread of his own accord. But these guys have an established fight scene going up north (disclaimer, among other things) and have being doing running fighting game events for ages so I'm imagine they are good fun.

I'd expect a high standard of skill at it too for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I had a look on the website about the gaming format, 2 screens for SF!? So I assume thats just 2 consoles. It doesn't seem to be nowhere near enough which is putting me off a bit.

For a tournament that will involve approximately 20 people, 2 screens will be enough. The approxinaltey 20 comes from the amount of people how have attended other fighting game tournaments in previous years. If it puts you off, I'm sorry but it is not something I can help. Q-Con is not a fighting game convention and there are other games to take account of.
    Would anyone know the timetable for it though? Because they just say on the website Saturday Morning/Afternoon/Evening. The cutoff point for afternoon would be obvious I know :) but what time does for the morning/evening session?

The website has the times <here>
    I know Q-Con isn't primarily focused on gaming. More about the anime side of things which is cool but I'd be a total noob as I've only seriously started watching them last year (Ghost in the shell). I've seen all 3 SF films if that counts as anime.

Q-Con is a gaming con, table top roleplaying, CCGs and wargaming have been the main focus since the beginning. Anime and videogaming have been part of it since Q-Con XI to the best of my knowledge.
    Anyway, so who's going? If I'm going, I'll probably only go and come back for Saturday but will look into accommodation anyway incase its a lot better than what I think it would be :)

I hope that has answered your question sufficiently chap! If you do pop down you will meet myself and a selection of the guys who were at the first XGC tournament. It would be cool to meet you. Let me know what your plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Thanks for the info mr_kyle :).

No worries, BlazBlue will be there in arcade format if that helps sway your opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

mr_kyle wrote: »
    No worries, BlazBlue will be there in arcade format if that helps sway your opinion!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Will any of you guys be up at Q-Con over the weekend?

I know The Witch wants to go, but only if somone else was heading up from Dublin I think.

Maybe Leprekaun might be interested not sure.

Anyway do you intend on recording any videos of the tourney matches at Q-Con and posting them online?

Would love to see them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I would but can't justify a day trip to Belfast. If I had time, I'd stay the weekend but I don't.

I'll probably head down for Saturday only but not entirely sure if I'm going yet.

Would anyone know of any maps or give me any directions from the bus station to Q-Con?

I'll probably head down for Saturday only but not entirely sure if I'm going yet.

Would anyone know of any maps or give me any directions from the bus station to Q-Con?

Sure thing, <check out this google map link>. You will be walking from the Europa bus station on Great Victoria street to the QUB Students Union on University Road.

• Advertisement

I found out that there are no buses from letterkenny to belfast. Only from Derry which is 7 AM which is a bit much considering I'd have to leave letterkenny at around 6:15-6:20 so sorry about that lads. Next year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It's too far to travel tbh. Great for locals, but it just isnt worth the hassle for a guy like me. There is nothing there that I cant get at XGC.

Well the only thing different would be the standard of competition would probably be higher than down south, considering they have a more established fight scene up north. You could also be certain they would have characters unlocked as well for SF IV. I'm sure organistation would be top notch too.

Of course it depends on what your looking for. I asked a few people at the last XGC meet up if there was any interest for heading up to this and most replied its too far or they would have no chance of winning so saw no point in going. If you want to improve than going to competitive competitions is always a good idea, but if your not that serious into it then thats okay too. Several of the players going to XGC said they preferred casual play over competition.

I personally prefer competition over casual events, but going to this would be a bit too much hassle for me personally. Firstly I have no direct bus link to Belfast, I would probably have to go via Dublin and that would be an expensive and head wrecking 4 hour + journey to get there. Then there would be an entry fee and then either another 4 hour + trip home or pay for accomadation which would of added to the expensives. All this when I'm only interested in one game thats played there and the amount of playing time could be possibly be limited. If this was in Dublin or say somewhere within around 2 hours of a bus journey I would certainly have attended.

I more use to attending lan parties with my own equipment. While the entry fee is normally more, the longer duration and having your own gaming rig be it console or pc allows for much longer gaming sessions, make travel time less of issue, I don't mind a long trip as long as I don't have to pack up and leave after just a few hours. The fact that most lans are overnight means their would be no added costs for accomdation or the like, but normally thats optional too.

Anyway I hope to hear a good report of the event Kyle and hopefully some videos.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I agree with you. I love competition. I've signed up to the SFIV comps on boards when i see em and also joined the boards Fifa09 league. If it was in dublin I would be there like a hot snot throwing some yoga moves and melting faces :D

And obviously, the only way to really improve is to play better players. Thats why im working my way into G1 online for the improved competition. I would also be up for a fortnightly session at XGC....maybe even more frequently. Competitions or casuals make no difference to me. Its all good, playing is playing.

What I would say though, is that I do think there is a danger of spreading ourselves to thin at the events....renting too many consoles and seperating everyone. Its alot easier to get to know everyone better when its not so spread out.

Also, I find half the fun is watching other peoples matches. I don't mind waiting 15 minutes waiting for a go as I get to enjoy the other matches and sledge the guys playing :p Maybe next time we should just go with 2 xboxs and 2 ps3's next time. More closeknit and cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm gonna be in Goodwood :o
    Sorry chaps, but one must see fast shiny cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

4 hours to get to this is too much for me, i would love to be there though. I wouldnt mind playing in the puzzle fighter comp too just to see how bad i am. Playing my housemates makes me feel like a god, lol.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

New thread started to argue over casuals vs tournaments...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055604903

Yes but I'd prefer not having to travel just to practise. I rather travel for two hours for some competition when the online mode already caters for practise.

Does anyone know when the SFIV tourney specifically starts? Its 3 PM here so could be down in Belfast at around 5:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Anyone go to this then?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Fantastic footage thanks for the vid!!

that bit at the end was priceless. :p

Advertisement