Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camcorder for novice film director!

Options
  • 17-06-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I will be leaving school next year and hope to get into film and production course in IADT next year. I'm looking to get a camcorder that I could use to record films with. I want to be able to add a microphone to it. Any ideas? And what kind of cost would I be looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭ciencin

For a decent amateur camera you'll be looking at a budget around €1000-2000
    Couple of cameras that I'd recommend to look into:

Sony VX1000 / Sony VX2000 (pretty good beginner cam)
    Sony PD150 / Sony PD170 (comes with a good mic, films good in low light)
    Panasonic DVX100 (24P mode, 1/2000 shutter speed)
    Canon GL1 / GL2 (used in 24 Days later in some of the shots)

Usually the older models are much cheaper (eg VX1000 can be found for around €700 while VX2100 will be much more expensive)

My recommendation:
    1) Buy the camera second hand (watch out for how many hours are on the heads and that the camera is PAL)
    2) Do lots of research about the camera before buying it
    3) All cameras come with on cam mic, they're ok, but for interviews or good audio you'll need an external mic. Good external mic start from €150-300

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭stepdoyle

Cookies4 wrote: »
    I will be leaving school next year and hope to get into film and production course in IADT next year. I'm looking to get a camcorder that I could use to record films with. I want to be able to add a microphone to it. Any ideas? And what kind of cost would I be looking at?

i have a Canon XL1 for sale at the moment. Will sell for 900 euro if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Don't forget to allow for a tripod, decent microphone and other accessories in your budget.

I happen to be selling a Sony HVR-A1E at the moment - it's a HDV camera that produces an excellent picture for it's compact size. It has a few pro features such as XLR mic inputs. See here;

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=116889

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Try get a 3-chip camcorder like the ones just mentioned above.
    Sony vx 2100 or canon xm2 are both great. . mini dv tapes but not hd. u dont need hd tbh.not just yet. and id stick with tapes compared to avchd or dvd camcorders etc.sony fx-7e if you can find one is also good.stick to sony and canon if u r in doubt.
    rode videomic - E150 or thereabouts.
    slik504qf tripod - 120[available off a crowd in Santry.
    wide angle lens. - 160 cheapest if ur lucky.
    extra long life battery - 30 quid maybe.

try amazon.co.uk. I went straight to the companies that sell thru amazon and got it a lil cheaper but it is grey imports. but my xm2 came after 2 weeks, perfect nick, all accessories in the box, but I have heard bad stories. but when cameracentre in dublin are charging 2500-3000 for an xm2 and its 1650 off a grey import site on the net, u just might get lucky....ur choice.

Advertisement