Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mileage on a Diesel Golf

• 17-06-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

2006 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 Sport TDI 5dr Diesel Hatchback (private)

Full Description:Glossary of Terms
    5 Door Hatchback, Grey, Diesel, Manual, 3x3 point rear seat belts, ABS, Air conditioning, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers,SATELITE NAVIGATION SYSTEM,BLUETOOTH,SPORTS SEATS,Anthracite interior with front arm rest,Central locking, Computer, Driver airbag Electric mirrors,Front Electric windows, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Lumbar support, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Remote locking, Side airbags, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Traction control,VW Service History, Isofix child seat anchor points, PAS, Rear wiper, Service indicator,1 previous owner, very clean and reliable car,mostly motorway miles also very economical car.Taxed and MOT. Mileage is at 90,000 Insurance Group:6. £6,000

Would anyone have an opinion on this car?

I am looking to buy a new car, all in €9000 including VRT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

90,000 miles on a VAG 1.9TDI is nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Confab wrote: »
    90,000 miles on a VAG 1.9TDI is nothing.

So would you consider that a good car/price? Its the model/year/colour i want but the mileage is fairly high was my only concern. Private UK Seller also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The cheapest equivalent mileage (and almost equivalent spec) on Carzone is €10,995. You'd need to do a HPI check on the UK car to ensure there's no finance still on it etc. Then you'd need to factor in ferries, fuel for the trip, accommodation etc etc... you'd probably save about €1,300 at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Verify the service history and get your own HPI check done on the car. Mileage is not an accurate indication of wear imo, e.g. 90k miles on a UK car could have less wear on it than a 90k miles Irish car. If it is an ex fleet car then it could have spent most of it's life up and down motorways.

Just remember that in Ireland anything with 100k miles or more is considered a landmine ready to explode and worthless monetory wise. So don't pay over the odds for it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Remap it to F1 power levels and still get 60mpg :D

p.s. It's noisy and rattly and basically nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Just check the VRT rate with those extras - are you getting the quote from the website or by giving chassis number? Could be a big difference.

Otherwise as long as the service history is up to date and in good nick ot should be fine. Engine is a bit noisy but once you're moving its fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Remap it to F1 power levels and still get 60mpg :D

p.s. It's noisy and rattly and basically nasty.

thats a load of rats....yes like a the bm 4 pot diesel, you'll know shes a diesel at idle but calling it nasty is ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

you wont have engine troubles - the engine will do double that easy. The only major issue (as mentioned above) is resale value.

Check the service history - at that mileage you might need to start replacing bushes and/or shocks, but thats a pretty standard job.

Dont worry about engine noise - you will hear very little inside the cabin

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bearcat wrote: »
    thats a load of rats....yes like a the bm 4 pot diesel, you'll know shes a diesel at idle but calling it nasty is ott.

Matter of opinion. 1.9tdi is an ancient design, and fundamentally unrefined.

Things have moved on, a lot.

That particular car is gone now anyway.

I have pretty much decided on a 1.9TDi Golf at this stage. Preferably 2006.

I checked the VRT and it came in at €2136 leaving me €7000 to spend.

I have tried to negotiate a couple of dealers down over the phone down to £6000 but i am having no luck.

Any suggestions as to where i might look to get a better deal?

Can Dealers in the UK really afford to turn away business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Mexician

Deedsie, my sister bought a Lexus 220d a few months ago from Scotland as it was the cheapest by a mile.i know the exchange rate was better but second hand cars are dirt cheap there.

Golfs are a great car. good choice deedsie.....

Mexician wrote: »
    Deedsie, my sister bought a Lexus 220d a few months ago from Scotland as it was the cheapest by a mile.i know the exchange rate was better but second hand cars are dirt cheap there.

Golfs are a great car. good choice deedsie.....

Thanks for that. Ill try Scotland so. I have a mate in Edinburgh so it might be the best way to go.

Is there any other sites than Autotrader.co.uk i might try?

I am not having much luck on that site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

pistonheads.com

UK dealers are not like here, they tend to price their cars very close to what they actually want for them. You might get a coupe of hundred pounds off at best. If it is a car supermarket then forget about haggling, the sticker price they advertise is the price they want plus an administration fee.

bazz26 wrote: »
    UK dealers are not like here, they tend to price their cars very close to what they actually want for them. You might get a coupe of hundred pounds off at best. If it is a car supermarket then forget about haggling, the sticker price they advertise is the price they want plus an administration fee.

Is www.cargiant.co.uk a car supermarket? Anyone any experience with them?

Yes, cargiant is a supermarket.

http://www.seangallaghercars.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=277478

Could i ask what does anyone think of this car?

They say the VRT and NCT are included in the price for the car.

Does that sound ok to ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Its an English import - you could do the same and save money.

I'd aim for a Confortline/SE or Sportline/Sport/GT Sport to be honest. That ones very basic

EPM wrote: »
    Its an English import - you could do the same and save money.

I'd aim for a Confortline/SE or Sportline/Sport/GT Sport to be honest. That ones very basic

I have been trying to find one online for the last 3 weeks and i am struggling to find one in my price range. Max €10000 all in.

Advertisement