Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba and Bosingwa banned

• 17-06-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭

For their part in the European exit

4 and 3 games repectively

and chelsea fined i think it was £85k - peanuts

Chelsea's Didier Drogba will miss four European matches after being banned for his outburst following the Champions League defeat against Barcelona.

The striker also had an additional two-match ban suspended for two years.

His Blues team-mate José Bosingwa was banned for three European games, with a further one-match ban also suspended.

Both players were found guilty of making insulting comments to the referee by Uefa, which also handed Chelsea an £85,000 fine.

Chelsea were fined for the improper conduct of their players and the throwing of missiles by their fans.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8043277.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

What did Bosingwa do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I seem to remember him making some comments after the game that were pretty damming - he should have received a longer ban i think

link:

Bosingwa is in trouble for comments he made to Portuguese television station RTP after the game.

"I don't know if he's a referee or a thief," said Bosingwa at the time. "I don't have any words to describe that man that was on the pitch."

'This referee should never referee a game again. What happened was a disgrace. It was a well contested game but the referee came to spoil our game.''

He later also issued an apology, saying: "We were all very disappointed and frustrated after the game, but I regret describing the referee as a thief. Having had some time to reflect I would like to withdraw those comments."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,729 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

3 and 4 group games no biggy really.

Did Ballack get anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Bit harsh on Bosingwa - players have got less for trying to break legs.

bullpost wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Bosingwa - players have got less for trying to break legs.

I dont think its harsh at all. You can't come out and say that about a referee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

How come Ballack got away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

p_larkin99 wrote: »

He was terrible though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

MIN2511 wrote: »

At a guess I'll say because it happened during the game time, the ref didn't punish him so that's that.

Quint wrote: »
    He was terrible though

I agree, but a pro footballer cannot say this :

"I don't know if he's a referee or a thief," said Bosingwa at the time. "I don't have any words to describe that man that was on the pitch."

'This referee should never referee a game again. What happened was a disgrace. It was a well contested game but the referee came to spoil our game.

Unearthly wrote: »
    At a guess I'll say because it happened during the game time, the ref didn't punish him so that's that.

It also lead to some funny gifs which UEFA found very funny apparently :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Well seen as the ref could actually out sprint Ballack, its amazing he got away at all :pac::pac::pac:

I'm surprised The Sun didn't print his address and phone number and encourage people to harass him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think this was about the expected length of ban for Drogba, Bosingwa might feel a bit hard done by but UEFA had to be seen to do something. Ballack was fairly unpleasant after that game and I think he warranted a ban too.

The main thing is that referee should never be allowed to officiate in anything beyond his own league (and I feel sorry for them)

If this is what they got can't wait to see what the ref gets - life minimum I reckon. I'd exile him to the LOI meself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Boggles wrote: »
    3 and 4 group games no biggy really.
    It is if Drogba was looking for a move away this summer - what club wouldn't think twice about signing someone who's going to miss the first 4 group matches?

Citeh?
    yahoo_moe wrote: »
    It is if Drogba was looking for a move away this summer - what club wouldn't think twice about signing someone who's going to miss the first 4 group matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Are UEFA able to issue massive fines? Or is there a limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity it'll only cover group games.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If the ref didn't mention ballack in his report its because he knows ballack was right to get pissed off.

He was a terrible ref aswell, how anybody can say Chelsea shouldn't have had atleast two penalties is beyond me.

Mind you He could have refereed the final without a problem - very straightforward match , only one team in it.
    I don't think any amount of ref blunders would have denied Barcelona.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    If the ref didn't mention ballack in his report its because he knows ballack was right to get pissed off.

He was a terrible ref aswell, how anybody can say Chelsea shouldn't have had atleast two penalties is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Are UEFA able to issue massive fines? Or is there a limit?

there's definitely an element of keeping them small in the interest of fairness across all leagues, i think they've even said so before. Smaller clubs would be crippled by a fine like that, and it wouldn't really be fair to have one set of fines for the big clubs and some for the small.

Personally I think fines should be proportional to turnover, but even then the impact will be completely different for all clubs depending on their profit margins. A 1% fine would be grand for most clubs, but it could easily tip some over the line if it resulted in players wages not being met etc. But you can't have it proportional to profit either, as then you're punishing the clubs that are better run...

It's a really really fuzzy and difficult area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

how long is that muppet ref banned for and what fine was imposed I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That is one thing that annoys me about UEFA and FA's in general. I get the idea of punishing the players, what they did was shocking, absolutely shocking.

But that ref should never be allowed ref a game beyond the group stages again, if even that. Absolutely shocking performance with shocking decisions wrong on both sides. FAs and UEFA don't tend to fix both problems, just one problem, and thats why it isnt working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

there's definitely an element of keeping them small in the interest of fairness across all leagues, i think they've even said so before. Smaller clubs would be crippled by a fine like that, and it wouldn't really be fair to have one set of fines for the big clubs and some for the small.

Personally I think fines should be proportional to turnover, but even then the impact will be completely different for all clubs depending on their profit margins. A 1% fine would be grand for most clubs, but it could easily tip some over the line if it resulted in players wages not being met etc. But you can't have it proportional to profit either, as then you're punishing the clubs that are better run...

It's a really really fuzzy and difficult area.

Ah right. Yeah, I still think UEFA could do more to really punish players, and stamp out this kind of disrespectful nonsense. Like a ban for the guilty parties for next season's competition. Not that it'd ever happen, it would just make more of a statement to players and their clubs that that kind of behaviour isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

A nonsense penalty to all concerned parties. Drogba should have got a competition ban for as long as the club are involved next season.

The fine the Spanish got for their disgraceful racist chants against England that time was €40k. Only half as bad as criticising a ref who cost you a place in the biggest club game in the world with his terrible decisions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

PHB wrote: »
    But that ref should never be allowed ref a game beyond the group stages again, if even that. Absolutely shocking performance with shocking decisions wrong on both sides. FAs and UEFA don't tend to fix both problems, just one problem, and thats why it isnt working.

not really.

the ref under-performed, he had a poor performance, no doubt

but drogba & bosingwa aren't being punished for a poor performance, they are being punished because their shocking behaviour brought the game into disrepute.

if the ref started f-ing & blinding at the camera or bad mouth the managers/players to the media, i'd imagine he would be punished too, and probably quite a bit more harshly than a 3 or 4 game ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

tbh the bans for the group stages don't really affect Chelsea.

The group stages are very uncompetitive imo and the real football begins at the knock-out stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

they should of read the charter.

DAM SOCUR MODZ BANSTICKIING GOOD PPL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Any word on what the ref got? What lenght ban was handed down to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

How does the 2 matches suspended for two years work? Is it if he gets a red card he is handed them two games on top of what he would normally get or would it have to be a more serious situation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If he brings the game into disrepute again id have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

p_larkin99 wrote: »

You can if the referree was a thieving fuucking kunt

Personally I think fines should be proportional to turnover
    Ah come on, that's like saying a 25-year old should get a bigger sentence for the same crime as a 65-year old because they should each have to serve the same percentage of their remaining lives...

A particular crime should have a particular punishment - and everyone who will possibly receive that punishment has to be able for it... there's no other fair way of approaching this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Pardon the pun but how the ref isn't banned or given "operational advice" is really a ****ing disgrace.

I am a MU fan btw.

• Advertisement

jackdaw wrote: »
    You can if the referree was a thieving fuucking kunt

No, no you cant.

Whatever you think about how bad his performance was, and as i said before i agree he was a joke, a pro footballer cannot come out and say what bosingwa did after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Did you not see how fast he was running when he was chasing the ref?

To put it in perspective again, Sinisa Mihajlovic calls Patrick Vieira a 'black piece of s*it' in a Champions League game. Receives a two-game ban from UEFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ah come on, that's like saying a 25-year old should get a bigger sentence for the same crime as a 65-year old because they should each have to serve the same percentage of their remaining lives...

that's not a fair comparison, both men there would have an expected life of approximately 75-80 years. therefore the same duration of sentence should apply as it will ultimately have the same (or rather a similar) impact on their lives viewed in total.

However finances are different, because you have people who are born rich and people who are born poor. You've clubs like ManU, Pool, Arsenal who have a natural advantage due to the fan base and populations in their area of coverage, whereas some smaller teams will never ever have the possibility of reaching the same level of fans and raking in the same revenues as they only have a small town to draw upon. Thus in the interest of fairness, i think a fine should reflect one's ability to repay so that it has the same impact across the board.
    A particular crime should have a particular punishment - and everyone who will possibly receive that punishment has to be able for it... there's no other fair way of approaching this.

That's very true, but a fine of 1% of revenue for a big club and small club is the same thing in terms of it's impact on the club surely.

You've clubs like ManU, Pool, Arsenal who have a natural advantage due to the fan base and populations in their area of coverage
    That's not a natural advantage. There's an awful lot of competition in London and Lancashire for a fan's loyalty - and a large fan base comes from a club's history/success, having players from particular countries at particular times, the supporter's family history, and a load of other things.

Every club started with 0 supporters and no revenue so (to follow your 'lifetime' argument) you can't punish clubs differently depending on whether they're going through a good patch or a bad patch in their 'lives'.
    That's very true, but a fine of 1% of revenue for a big club and small club is the same thing in terms of it's impact on the club surely.
    Absolutely, but my point is that the punishment should be the same - not the impact of the punishment. Your way, two different clubs receive different absolute punishments for the same offence - or the same club receives two different punishments for the same offence committed at different times*, which is no way to run a justice system.

* The only way this should happen is first offence v repeat offences, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I hope they ban that fat ref for life - what a joker. A Refereeing display like that deserves proper punishment.

Advertisement