Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone attend UFC 38 at the Royal Albert Hall

Options
  • 17-06-2009 4:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Or even just remember the event?

I just watched the show on DVD today for the first time since it aired. That summer was the point I became a proper fan of the UFC after watching it on Sky when they showed old fights on a nightly basis that summer ramping up the event. Before then I only saw the initial few UFC on commercial VHS and the odd PRIDE event.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Yeah I was there. Met chuck Liddell and got a pic with him. Met Elvis Sinosic, Eugene Jackson, Ian Freeman and Josh Barnett (he was cornering freeman I think).

Barnett was massive. I'm 6"2 and around 16 stone and he a monster compared to me.

In a funny twist I got seated beside a guy I had just beat the week before in a JJ comp in ireland

Back in them days I used to buy ****ty copies on VHS of the UFC and Pride from a guy in england

Then a bit later I got access to a server with loads of free MMA stuff. That was before youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Yeah I was there. Met chuck Liddell and got a pic with him. Met Elvis Sinosic, Eugene Jackson, Ian Freeman and Josh Barnett (he was cornering freeman I think).

Barnett was massive. I'm 6"2 and around 16 stone and he a monster compared to me.

In a funny twist I got seated beside a guy I had just beat the week before in a JJ comp in ireland

Back in them days I used to buy ****ty copies on VHS of the UFC and Pride from a guy in england

Then a bit later I got access to a server with loads of free MMA stuff. That was before youtube

VHS...

before youtube....

Was the picture taken with one of them wee clicky cameras? When you take a picture you have to turn the wee clicker?? lol

it was actually a drawing done on papyrus

I left strabane in a stagecoach and got a longboat from Belfast to Liverpool. I met Dick Turpin and he took me on the back of his horse to London

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The show was a bit of a bummer given how things would turn out for Freeman in and outside the Cage given that performance against Mir.

his father had just died the day before and he wasn't told as far as I can remember

• Advertisement

Jason Mc wrote: »
    his father had just died the day before and he wasn't told as far as I can remember

Yeah that was the case, he dedicated the fight to his father who he thought was still alive. Very touching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was supposed to go, but nobody from Waterford was going and I didn't want to travel on my own. I remember the event well though. Genki Sudo's flying triangles against Leigh Remedios, and that spin around to the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 chokehold

I had a seat in the nosebleed section. I never watched it again but from what I remember the place absolutely shook when Freeman beat Mir. That along with Mark Weir's KO of Jackson and Genki Sudo's enterance (and win over Remedios) were definately the highlights. The Hughes / Newton main event was a bit of a let down only for the fact that everyone wanted to see Newton win.

An update on Lee Murray I just read in last weeks Wrestling Observer:
    According to sources in Morocco, Lee Murray was planning his escape from Sale prison in that country. The plot was discovered by pure luck when an inmate in Murray’s wing was trying to steal some goods belonging to Murray by using a rod after Murray was transferred to another cell as punishment for having a PC and possessing five kilos of drugs. The inmate discovered some small saws that were apparently smuggled into Murray in a plate of biscuits that were intended to cut the iron bars of his cell window. The guy then told the prison authorities. Murray was resented in Sale prison because he had so many things others didn’t have, and acted like a king. He had managed to get in a computer hooked up to the Internet and because he has so much cash, he was able to get food and clothes brought in. He had also lost a ton of weight, as they believe he was starving himself to allow himself to fit through his cell’s window, and also training hard to aid in dropping the weight.

*Just sakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

rovert wrote: »
    He had also lost a ton of weight

Maybe planning a run at 155?

• Advertisement

Maybe planning a run at 155?

Is that when his prison warden clocks off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

On topic:rolleyes:I remember watching that show as if it was 10 years ago!

Its great to look back now and see things from a different point of view.
    Hated Hughes for robbing Carlos in the previous fight but gained a bit of respect for his attitude after (and his concern for Carlos at the end of the show).
    Genki was awesome and toyed with Leigh (who I didnt know at the time).
    Some boring lad called 'Babalu' lay on that aussie bloke(elvis) that Tito smashed ,and hammer fisted his way to a boring victory (well thats how I saw it then).

Thought Freeman was only a thug at the time(and had been working in Jacksonville during the build up to the fight) so really wanted Mir to give up that leg/ankle/foot lock and not take such a pounding.
    And the Mark Weir thing was amazing. When he held his hands up like a kid that had just touched wet paint (realising that Jackson was well and truely KOed.

Must dig that out again and see how my views have changed

Advertisement