Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Direct declines quotes for Dublin areas

• 17-06-2009 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Leading insurance company Quinn Direct has confirmed it is not quoting for motor insurance for parts of Dublin because of the high number of claims received in recent times.

Under a new policy introduced earlier this month, the company is refusing to quote for new business in parts of Tallaght and Clondalkin until further notice.

A spokesman said there were a "very small number" of areas in the country - amounting to less than 1 per cent of land area - where Quinn Direct is not providing quotes, because recent claims experience was "extremely poor".

The spokesman declined to provide a list of other areas where cover is not being offered, saying this was commercially sensitive information which was reviewed regularly based on the frequency and severity of claims.

He claimed it was common practice in the insurance industry for insurers not to quote for particular risks in such situations. He pointed out that, unlike many of its rivals, Quinn Direct quotes for the vast majority of drivers in the country, irrespective of age or licence, including young provisional licence holders.

The spokesman said that if the situation improved, it would resume quoting for new businesses in the areas affected. Quinn Direct is the second largest motor insurer in the State.

Insurance companies are not legally obliged to provide quotes but if a customer is unable to obtain a quote from any insurer he or she is advised to contact the Irish Insurance Federation, whose Declined Case Committee is obliged to get the customer a quote.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0617/breaking57.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Car Crime needs to be heavily punished...

the reason the quotes are high here is that there si such a high chance of your car getting robbed/vandalised etc.

now the ordinary joe that live in these places can't even get a quote!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

In fairness, it is a step in the right direction for 99% of Quinn's customers. They are taking action to try to stop or at least decrease the amount of car theft.

If they can do that, ultimately it means everyone else's quotes go down.

I support this decision. If the other insurers follow suit, then hopefully we'll see an improvement in things.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

In fairness, it is a step in the right direction for 99% of Quinn's customers. They are taking action to try to stop or at least decrease the amount of car theft.

I support this decision. If the other insurers follow suit, then hopefully we'll see an improvement in things.

How is refusing to insure somebody's car going to decrease car theft in the area???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How is refusing to insure somebody's car going to decrease car theft in the area???

It'll decrease claims.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Eh, the sensible approach to this simply would be to levy insurance in those "bad" areas and discount it in areas that have minimal crime? You know, use the information you have to give them on signup.
    Currently there is very little difference in actual cost to insure cars in different areas, which in itself is an administration problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Are they also refusing to insure other risks, eg Home Insurance ?? I am also amazed that Donegal is not on this list .

http://www.herald.ie/opinion/columnists/sinead-ryan/discrimination-in-the-insurance-industry-may-seem-unfair--but-its-perfectly-legal-1776258.html
    A small section of the Irish Insurance Federation is called the Declined Cases Committee which are obliged to get him a quote, even if the resultant insurance company moans and groans about it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/motor-tax-and-insurance/motor_insurance
    Individual insurers have the right to refuse you cover, but they must provide you with a reason for the refusal should you ask for one. However, even though you have been refused cover, you are entitled to go to the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation who will obtain an insurance quotation for you. In order for the Committee to consider your case you must first have sought and been refused quotations in writing from at least three insurers. (See 'Further information' below).

Declined Cases Committee

Irish Insurance Federation

39 Molesworth Street
    Dublin 2
    Dublin
    Ireland
    Tel:+353 (0)1 6761914

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Are they declining if if you live there & your car is parked overnight or does it also include people who live in e.g knocklyon but work in tallaght? so heir car is parked during the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

FFS as soon as i saw that i knew Tallaght would be bloody involved.
    As if it wasn't already hard enough for an 18 year old guy to get insured, now my home has to come into this as well.

Needless to say, I'm fairly pissed off.
    Not so much at Quinn, more the scumbags that make a mess of the area and make life so much harder for me.
    I can't wait to get out of here, even living in the nice part, i still get messed around because of that bloody area code.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    UUGH!!

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I am so, so glad I no longer work out of Tallaght - due to internal reorganisations I officially work out of the Limerick depot now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

there business they can do what they want. Just go get insured by the oe of the many other insurance companies. People really overdo these sort if things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Its a sad state of the recession. Quinn obviously had that much business that they could cover the hit in these areas.

But for the ordinary joe soap its a kick in the stones. Never mind those who have had there cars stolen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MYOB wrote: »
    I am so, so glad I no longer work out of Tallaght - due to internal reorganisations I officially work out of the Limerick depot now :D

Must be a nice change to be in a crime free area.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stekelly wrote: »
    Must be a nice change to be in a crime free area.......

Unlike Tallaght, its not like I'm ever in the Limerick office. I've actually *never* been in it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm in D18 , 44 Yrs old, nil points..nil accidents..25 yrs full licence..would'nt quote me on a 530d.....1.1 litres max.....what a joke....all other insurance co's were tripping over each other for the biz...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jamhan

Bearcat wrote: »
    I'm in D18 , 44 Yrs old, nil points..nil accidents..25 yrs full licence..would'nt quote me on a 530d.....1.1 litres max.....what a joke....all other insurance co's were tripping over each other for the biz...

It does seem unfair that the so called biggest Irish insurer wont even cover us now. maybe they are planning to cherry pick the easiest market seen as they've made there fortune on insuring those young driver from D24 and then when they did have a genuine claim, they wouldnt pay out!!!

Just goes to show you the country is in a mess. well thankfully i'm through a broker so i let them worry about who i'm insured with.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

jamhan wrote: »
    well thankfully i'm through a broker so i let them worry about who i'm insured with.
    Your comment sounds like you stick with your broker every year to let them worry about the renewals. Is this correct?

kbannon wrote: »
    Your comment sounds like you stick with your broker every year to let them worry about the renewals. Is this correct?

yep, always shop around through brokers as i only have to make 2 - 3 calls every yr. always try the same 3 every yr

why??

you make 2 or 3 calls when renewing your insurance?
    Just goes to show you the country is in a mess.

you make 2 or 3 calls when renewing your insurance?

exactly, the brokers i try deal with 6 or more insurers and from my dealings with them over the years, they seem to be always able to offer cheaper each year.

why would you recommend going direct with an insurer?

I would recommend that you ring more than 3 brokers!

Christ - people seem to like not trying to save money in this country!

• Advertisement

I would recommend that you ring more than 3 brokers!

Christ - people seem to like not trying to save money in this country!

who would you try?

as many as I could by phone and online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

jamhan wrote:
    why would you recommend going direct with an insurer?

Some insurers don't deal with brokers. Eg, the 2nd biggest motor insurer in the country, Quinn Direct.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Some insurers don't deal with brokers. Eg, the 2nd biggest motor insurer in the country, Quinn Direct.

and why the hell would i go with Quinn Direct. they dont seem to be helping the everyday people whp obey by the law, not insuring d 24 + 22. thats like going back a 100's of yrs - to hell or to connaught!!

my current broker deals with KennCo, Travelers, Asgard & RSA and then the main players who deal directly as well. i'd be very surprised if a direct insurer bet my price. i like dealing with the broker as you know they have extra discounts up there sleeves that they give if you haggle with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Eh, the sensible approach to this simply would be to levy insurance in those "bad" areas and discount it in areas that have minimal crime? You know, use the information you have to give them on signup.
    Currently there is very little difference in actual cost to insure cars in different areas, which in itself is an administration problem.

This is my thought exactly.

I think levying the insurance in said areas (I'm from one of them myself and resent ridiculous half-baked opinions about how other insurance companies should follow suit) would also have been a better step for Quinn in terms of PR.

They have left alot of the decent folk of these areas disappointed and feeling quite like they've been tarred with the same brush as the scumbags.

Not to go off topic, but as a decent person from Clondalkin, this is not the first time I have felt this either. Not a quinn customer by the way. Never was, and its not looking likely that I ever will be now.:rolleyes:

peanuthead wrote: »
    This is my thought exactly.

I think levying the insurance in said areas (I'm from one of them myself and resent ridiculous half-baked opinions about how other insurance companies should follow suit) would also have been a better step for Quinn in terms of PR.

They have left alot of the decent folk of these areas disappointed and feeling quite like they've been tarred with the same brush as the scumbags.

Not to go off topic, but as a decent person from Clondalkin, this is not the first time I have felt this either. Not a quinn customer by the way. Never was, and its not looking likely that I ever will be now.:rolleyes:

think of this way, by quinn not quoting for those so called scum bag areas, those areas are going to get even worse, house insurance prices will go up, the value of properties will go even further down.

peoples assumtion of the area will be even worse. people will end up driving all around dublin rather than driving through these areas if this the ways things go

and why the hell would i go with Quinn Direct. they dont seem to be helping the everyday people whp obey by the law, not insuring d 24 + 22. thats like going back a 100's of yrs - to hell or to connaught!!
    1. Quinn, like most companys are not out to help you - they offer a service with the intention of making money for their shareholders
    2. this rule came about a few days ago. what was your excuse for not calling them before now?
    my current broker deals with KennCo, Travelers, Asgard & RSA and then the main players who deal directly as well. i'd be very surprised if a direct insurer bet my price. i like dealing with the broker as you know they have extra discounts up there sleeves that they give if you haggle with them.
    Suit yourself. You are assuming that you cannot get a better deal!
    I really don't want to sound like a QD sympathiser as I personally wouldn't touch them for other reasons. However, I would imagine that it was a business decision - we make x from this area but pay out y and currently y is much larger than x. However, you are right to vote with your wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think they should have instead refused cover across all areas for cars with no immobilizer.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I think they should have instead refused cover across all areas for cars with no immobilizer.
    But its possible that these cars are statistically and financially insignificant in terms of claims. I would imagine that most of the payouts are for injury claims rather than car repairs anyhow.

• Advertisement

1. Quinn, like most companys are not out to help you - they offer a service with the intention of making money for their shareholders
    2. this rule came about a few days ago. what was your excuse for not calling them before now?

Suit yourself. You are assuming that you cannot get a better deal!

I really don't want to sound like a QD sympathiser as I personally wouldn't touch them for other reasons. However, I would imagine that it was a business decision - we make x from this area but pay out y and currently y is much larger than x. However, you are right to vote with your wallet.

because people are hard up for money and dont this kind of crap from the 2nd biggest insurer in ireland. i havent gone with because if i ever do have a claim, i suppose i'd like to be paid out for it and from what i've heard and seen, they dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If they can't get insurance they can't have a car! :D

and why the hell would i go with Quinn Direct.
    They might be the cheapest? They are for me by a large margin.

If they can't get insurance they can't have a car! :D

ha well do you know what will happen then, all those people in d 24 will go and rob cars in dublin 12/ 16. what will quinn do then, stop insuring all of Dublin.

makes me laugh- disgrace

They might be the cheapest? They are for me by a large margin.

the reason we all insure our cars and homes is incase we need to make a claim. quinn are "Allegedly" bad for paying out claims, hence i would not use them.

because people are hard up for money and dont this kind of crap from the 2nd biggest insurer in ireland.
    But you have already shown that you are relatively complacent when it comes to shopping around. If you wanted to save money then you would have tried harder at getting a cheaper price.
    i havent gone with because if i ever do have a claim, i suppose i'd like to be paid out for it and from what i've heard and seen, they dont.
    If you have a claim and are expecting a payout, usually it would be against a third party not your own insurer!
    ha well do you know what will happen then, all those people in d 24 will go and rob cars in dublin 12/ 16. what will quinn do then, stop insuring all of Dublin.
    Quinn are entitled to do so if they wish - they are a business not a charity. Remember though that there are other companys willing to insure you.
    the reason we all insure our cars and homes is incase we need to make a claim. quinn are "Allegedly" bad for paying out claims, hence i would not use them.
    My car was damaged last year. They were fairly prompt at sorting it (even if their initial offer was much lower than I expected). I'm also in discussions regarding a personal injury claim and their feedback has so far been prompt. I don't like Quinn but in terms of making a claim they have been easy enough to deal with.

• Advertisement

I had one claim and it was professionally and efficiently handled by Quinn.

Well I hope I'm wrong but I can see this turning alot of people in the direction of insurance fraud. I wont go into the specifics of what I mean, I don't want to be seen to be encouraging people, but I reckon not everyone will just walk away to another insurer

Which is ludicrous in my opinion because Quinn have said, loud and clear, that they don't want our money.

If it was a financial decision (which I actually believe it to be) well then why didn't they just dramatically raise the price of insurance for these areas. That way they'd either be (a) in the situation they're in now, with no business from d.22 and d.24 or (b) be quid's in thanks to a few dopes that don't mind paying 4grand for insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

christ! quinn taking some bashing!,

when i started driving 2 years ago they were the cheapest quote by about €500,then 3 months later when i clipped a pedestrian with the wing mirror leading to a fairly big personal injury claim, i thought i was going to be screwed over by them,but there were brilliant they let me know what was going on and how it would be settled,
    i heard nothing for months then they rang the other day to tell me that the claim is closed and dont forget to say that when i get my renewal quote!
    for me anyway they were excellent:)*

and didnt a different insurance company refuse to give fire and theft cover on motorbikes in dublin because so many were disappearing??

*unless my renewal goes up in july,then il be on here giving out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

because people are hard up for money and dont this kind of crap from the 2nd biggest insurer in ireland. i havent gone with because if i ever do have a claim, i suppose i'd like to be paid out for it and from what i've heard and seen, they dont.
    Jamhan, I didn't know which of your posts to use as a quote on this thread as they all make perfect sense. I am in full agreement with you here. Bottom line is use a broker and keep them keen by letting them know you will also be using a rival firm. Let them do the calling around.

If you are content using a broker then why are you concerned if QD stop offering cover to certain areas as it would not affect you?

• Advertisement

I have gotten a cheaper quote directly from an insurance company than my broker was offering.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

bladebrew wrote: »
    christ! quinn taking some bashing!,

when i started driving 2 years ago they were the cheapest quote by about €500,then 3 months later when i clipped a pedestrian with the wing mirror leading to a fairly big personal injury claim, i thought i was going to be screwed over by them,but there were brilliant they let me know what was going on and how it would be settled,
    i heard nothing for months then they rang the other day to tell me that the claim is closed and dont forget to say that when i get my renewal quote!
    for me anyway they were excellent:)*

and didnt a different insurance company refuse to give fire and theft cover on motorbikes in dublin because so many were disappearing??

*unless my renewal goes up in july,then il be on here giving out!!

Come back when you get your renewal in July. For the craic like. Oh, and get a large tub of Vaseline ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

QD are a business and as such review their profit margins on a regular basis,
    like any company if they find that a certain area of their business is not profitable, they can make chages to prices and costs, or stop that part of the business...

they decided to stop their business in certain area's due to it not making them money....

I love the comments for why not just put a levy on... whats the point, it would price themselves out of the market anyway, so why waste time and effort on doing this....

I would compare it to like for example, a Ford Dealership closing down, recession, not profitable, can't afford to operate, it is a shame that its closing down, but you wouldn't demand off ford or slate Ford that they should re-open becuase they cannot do this to their exsisting customers or potetial customers..

robtri wrote: »

I love the comments for why not just put a levy on... whats the point, it would price themselves out of the market anyway, so why waste time and effort on doing this....

/quote]

Well... maybe this move wouldn't have been as bad for their PR. But hey, they obviously understand the Irish public very well. We will take prejudice, accept it, and forget all about it once the country is on its way back up and quinn are looking for our business again...:rolleyes:

Well... maybe this move wouldn't have been as bad for their PR.
    This is QD's way of saying there are problems in those areas, which probably need to be addressed by the community in co-operation with the authorities. Like Dublin Bus refuses to run certain routes at times.

This is QD's way of saying there are problems in those areas, which probably need to be addressed by the community in co-operation with the authorities. Like Dublin Bus refuses to run certain routes at times.

It's not the same. You are not obliged by law to travel on Dublin Bus, however you are obliged to have insurance if you own a car. It is digraceful that they can totally refuse cover to everyone in any particular area.

It's not the same. You are not obliged by law to travel on Dublin Bus, however you are obliged to have insurance if you own a car. It is digraceful that they can totally refuse cover to everyone in any particular area.
    Arguably Dublin Bus is a lot worse, having the monopoly on public transport in most of Dublin. There are plenty of other insurance companies. You are not obliged to use QD.

But my point is that it's QD's way of saying there is a problem in these areas. The same a DB do when they withdraw services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭eyesofvenus

Should be interesting when this "recession" is over and they decide to insure the decent people of these area's again...

monopolize seems to be a good word to use in respect to how things are done in this country(esb, bord gais, dublin bus etc..)

Best thing to ever happen to UK was margheret tatcher and her privatisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Bloody hell mate. They have made a decision based on actuarial data, not insulted your mother.

I would hope that this decision could also have the effect of highlighting the prevelance of car crime in these areas, and maybe help to get something done about it.

But you have already shown that you are relatively complacent when it comes to shopping around. If you wanted to save money then you would have tried harder at getting a cheaper price.

If you have a claim and are expecting a payout, usually it would be against a third party not your own insurer!

Quinn are entitled to do so if they wish - they are a business not a charity. Remember though that there are other companys willing to insure you.
    My car was damaged last year. They were fairly prompt at sorting it (even if their initial offer was much lower than I expected). I'm also in discussions regarding a personal injury claim and their feedback has so far been prompt. I don't like Quinn but in terms of making a claim they have been easy enough to deal with.

the idea of broker is that find the best deal and give you the best advice.

i dont mean to sound bad but i doubt qd even know the meaning of that. they offered all those young drivers driving GT Starlets insurance for half nothing just to build up there reserve. they didnt plan on all those knackers claiming!!!

complacent, is insuring your greatest asset - your home,car and health with that crowd.

everyone knows what there like so dont give me this crap that they are a fair company. fair equals no discrimination. if i'm from kerry but live in dublin 24, is that fair that they wont insure me??

• Advertisement
Advertisement