Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Direct declines quotes for Dublin areas

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Bloody hell mate. They have made a decision based on actuarial data, not insulted your mother.

I would hope that this decision could also have the effect of highlighting the prevelance of car crime in these areas, and maybe help to get something done about it.

Nicely put.
    jamhan wrote: »
    is that fair that they wont insure me??
    Seems fair, as you didn't ask them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

everyone knows what there like so dont give me this crap that they are a fair company. fair equals no discrimination. if i'm from kerry but live in dublin 24, is that fair that they wont insure me??
    What does where you are 'from' have to do with anything? A kerry flag isn't going to stop your car from being stolen or vandalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What does where you are 'from' have to do with anything? A kerry flag isn't going to stop your car from being stolen or vandalised.

Where you are 'from' is very important to QD...they load claims (unfairly IMHO) for certain nationalities. Not seen them do it for Kerrymen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Lads a little issue your missing here is the actual car theft, i'm from Tallaght and the toughest part of it, these boys don't rob cars on their own doorsteps because it will be found out pretty quickly who took it and he will be dealt with, you call it vigilante, we call it justice.

These scumbags jump on the luas or bus, head to the likes of Kingswood, Walkinstown and so on pick up maybe 2 motors, park one offside just incase they take a chase.

I would love to see Quinn Direct actual statistics of car theft from these council areas, i'd say its pretty close to 0% as i said you don't ****e on your own doorstep. I'd say the statistic they will give is for burned out cars in the area which is pretty high, the joyriders might be from the area but the shell in the field was nicked elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jamhan

Lads a little issue your missing here is the actual car theft, i'm from Tallaght and the toughest part of it, these boys don't rob cars on their own doorsteps because it will be found out pretty quickly who took it and he will be dealt with, you call it vigilante, we call it justice.

These scumbags jump on the luas or bus, head to the likes of Kingswood, Walkinstown and so on pick up maybe 2 motors, park one offside just incase they take a chase.

I would love to see Quinn Direct actual statistics of car theft from these council areas, i'd say its pretty close to 0% as i said you don't ****e on your own doorstep. I'd say the statistic they will give is for burned out cars in the area which is pretty high, the joyriders might be from the area but the shell in the field was nicked elsewhere.

do the insurers ever release those figures.

the reson i am getting at is if they are discriminating d 24 and 22 then it is affecting other areas. there are plenty of people liing temporary in those areas who are from areas outside of dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

I would love to see Quinn Direct actual statistics of car theft from these council areas, i'd say its pretty close to 0% as i said you don't ****e on your own doorstep.

If no cars are stolen in those areas, what logical reason do you think QDI have for refusing cover there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

markpb wrote: »
    If no cars are stolen in those areas, what logical reason do you think QDI have for refusing cover there?

God only know's, but fact is i live in the same estate as that guy the other day in the Herald, and nobody dares touch anybody's car around here, you will be found out and you will be dealt with.

Quinn Direct will not answer this question and probably never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Smells like a high number of bogey claims with people losing job/hitting the wall or whatever. Some folks probably see it as easy money. All it takes is 4 or 5 'fire' claims in the one estate to have the whole area under scrutiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Savman wrote: »
    Smells like a high number of bogey claims with people losing job/hitting the wall or whatever. Some folks probably see it as easy money. All it takes is 4 or 5 'fire' claims in the one estate to have the whole area under scrutiny.

It took nearly 60 replies before anyone made this point (kbannon alluded to it).
    QD (or any other insurer) cares little about car crime, stolen/burned motors and the like...this is not where the vast majority of payouts are going...that is reserved for personal injury claims, to cover legal/medical fees, compensation for loss of earnings, pain and suffering etc etc. The cost of replacing the car, whether it be stolen and burned or written off in a collision is a mere fraction of the real money being paid out, much of which may be due to bogus claims in less well off areas.
    Listen, a recession comes along, people lose jobs, money is tight...then some bright spark sticks 4 people in their car and gets one of their mates to crash into it in a stolen motor...then they all claim. Pretty soon the story of manna from heaven spreads and everyone with a lack of scruples is at it.
    If QD or any other insurer notices a sharp rise in claims in an area, they have to take the matter in hand or else their business suffers and premiums go up across the land which further damages business.
    This has very little to do with car crime in these areas...it's an awful lot more to do with a few bad eggs ruining it for everyone else with their dodgy whiplash claim...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's not the same. You are not obliged by law to travel on Dublin Bus, however you are obliged to have insurance if you own a car. It is digraceful that they can totally refuse cover to everyone in any particular area.
    You are not obliged to have a car nor are you obliged to use QD. Similarly, QD are not obliged to offer cover to absolutely everyone!
    the idea of broker is that find the best deal and give you the best advice.
    Have you asked your broker who they deal with? I would guarantee you that they do not talk to each company and they will give you a deal. It is not necessarily the best deal
    i dont mean to sound bad but i doubt qd even know the meaning of that. they offered all those young drivers driving GT Starlets insurance for half nothing just to build up there reserve. they didnt plan on all those knackers claiming!!!
    So all of their claims were by GT owners? The guy who hit me wasn't a GT owner!
    everyone knows what there like so dont give me this crap that they are a fair company. fair equals no discrimination. if i'm from kerry but live in dublin 24, is that fair that they wont insure me??
    Cop on. Insurance companys are allowed to discriminate. They always have been and always will be as it is down to statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Had a little chuckle reading this thread, as I received 2 separate letters from Quinn this week offering me (uncompetitive) quotes for car insurance, in Dublin 24.
    I'm not currently a Quinn customer, but they obviously have my details on file from getting quotes previously.
    Has someone forgotten to tell the person who prints the mail-shots about the new comapny policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

Whatever happened to "Spreading the Risk". Insurance companies will soon be (more) like the mafia, only betting on a sure thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 keith_

hi new to boards.ie after reading this thread i had to sign up! personaly i think it has nothing to do with stolen cars at all! im living in tallaght and have all my life yes there was a major problem many years back with stolen cars imo this is down to an all time low for the area. ive heard of lots of people that have had false personal injury claims and walked away actually 'walked' away with 10k in their pocket. 10k of my money and your money! fraud claims should be reported and i encourage this 100% its not fair and me and you should not have to pay for others people's greed. i seen this coming i gained another years no claim bonus a year older myself same car and circumstances and my policy was increased by just over 500 euro i was told it was based on last years claims/stats etc. Hang these people out to dry the dont deserve insurance as they just abuse the system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Bearcat wrote: »
    I'm in D18 , 44 Yrs old, nil points..nil accidents..25 yrs full licence..would'nt quote me on a 530d.....1.1 litres max.....what a joke....all other insurance co's were tripping over each other for the biz...

I got quoted on an M5 for €1100, not bad for a 29 year old :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 jamhan

kbannon wrote: »
    You are not obliged to have a car nor are you obliged to use QD. Similarly, QD are not obliged to offer cover to absolutely everyone!

Have you asked your broker who they deal with? I would guarantee you that they do not talk to each company and they will give you a deal. It is not necessarily the best deal

So all of their claims were by GT owners? The guy who hit me wasn't a GT owner!

Cop on. Insurance companys are allowed to discriminate. They always have been and always will be as it is down to statistics.

you cop on!! no other insurer has done this. they would have been a little more cleverer. they could have easily increased there rates and not said anything to anyone. no one would be the wiser.

instead they have made a mess of things and made those areas even worse than they are

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

you cop on!! no other insurer has done this. they would have been a little more cleverer. they could have easily increased there rates and not said anything to anyone. no one would be the wiser.
    have you thought that their costs within these areas makes no sense at all as the number of claims that they put through just makes it unsustainable.
    I'm only defending Quinn because I believe that they have every right as a business to do this. As was mentioned earlier, if there are societal issues in these areas causing businesses to refuse to offer services then these must be addressed, but don't sign up to a forum and give out about their practices despite the fact that you refuse to try and use their services.
    Statements on here (including yours) seem to believe that what Quinn have done is unfair. It isn't - its just part of life! Several years ago I was refused home cover because Leixlip had flooded that previous winter, despite the fact that I live up a big hill, the top of which was untouched by Noah's flood! I didn't however go out and start being critical of their business practice. I just looked for cover elsewhere and got on with my life.
    The reality is that insurers can pick and choose their business if they want. I'm sure that many of the residents of Clonmel still can't get home cover despite the vast fortunes being spent on the flood relief scheme. Someone living in Leitrim would pay less to insure a car than someone in Dublin. I presumably can't get cover under a lady drive type policy. Its all because of statistics and the fact that there is no legal obligation for them to provide a service!
    instead they have made a mess of things and made those areas even worse than they are
    Quinn made a mess of things? Are they supposed to be social workers now? Now I really mean the cop on comment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Just thought id throw this out there, there is an area in clondalkin which i rented accomediation in for 3 months, while living there (Jan - April) i was offered on numerous occasions to stage an accident.

These are people who dont work and the basic premise is they fill a car up and crash into either an expensive car owned by a garage or another car full off scum bags(both of which is on the act). If is a garage car the garage throws them a few quid.

Simple each person in the car then claims off the person who is driving, then everyone in the car than gives a certain percentage off each off there claims to the driver to make up for lose in now claims bonus and most off them walk away with 5k plus, the driver gets a new motor and about 15k.

Even though its sounds too easy most people generally walk away with the money within 3-6 months no questions asked

Advertisement