Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Performance

• 17-06-2009 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Anyone else on UPC (NTL) broadband in the Dunmore Road area? For the past two nights the performance has been woeful.

I don't have anything else other than my own PC to compare to, but rebooting, changing browser, checking running processes, available memory, etc., changes nothing.

Everything's timing out, pages are taking ages to load. Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheFat

I'm in Viewmount with 20mbps UPC and its fine -
    speed test results -
    hmm seems my 20mbps is going a lot faster than it should be..
    497854402.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 elbrop

Out in earlscourt myself
    497900231.png
    So no complaints about NTL from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭paddy smith

im in lismore park

497947169.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Still crap this evening

Download 1.80 Mb/s
    Upload 0.27 Mb/s
    Ping 117 ms

TheFat, those are some results! Maybe you're getting my performance allocation too... :D

OK, back to the drawing board!

Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

10Mb heavily-used line in Farmleigh

498033247.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Its been fair bad up here in gracedieu the last while.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 liar

im subcribed to there "highest" speed broadband yet its always terrible. gonna ring to complain after i pay my bill tomorow. no point in complaining while i owe them €130 :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

Im in the city centre on their 20 meg line and download is at a miserable 3.48 and iv just received a bill for €103... Thats just ridiculous

498610293.png

bit better today

499313152.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dunmore Rd... I'm still on the 3Meg connection. I know some people who were offered a free upgrade to 6 for some reason. I certainly wasn't! Should I be ringing them?

498724391.png

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trotter wrote: »
    Dunmore Rd... I'm still on the 3Meg connection. I know some people who were offered a free upgrade to 6 for some reason. I certainly wasn't! Should I be ringing them?

First off, how much p/m are you paying for the 3mb, because if I am not mistaken, the original 3mb was first off upgraded to 6mb and then that went to 10mb. I was originally on the 3mb package when their packages were 1mb,3mb, and 6mb, and I am now on the 10mb package, but I am on that since the 10mb was introduced. I think I have to fill out a form online to get the free upgrade to the 10mb, but this form also tied me into a new 12 month contract, but I think thats nearly up at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

ust a few questions, do you have NTL 250 cable modem (blue with big green lights)...

if so find some reason to get it replaced.... I had random disconnection problems got the new router and now I am always getting a descent rate when its not in peak hours.

7.30 pm and I am getting this

502258211.png

if try again later it will be up at 10 again...

Also are you in an estate? If so the cab boxes that they connect into maybe shared out. You need to test when no one else is on as well.check that all your cables are tight you would not believe what can cause slow connections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

My NTL 20mb connection was up and down like a pro's drawers last night at about 11pm. Mostly down though. Restarting the modem didn't help either.

Still, having been a customer of NTL broadband in Ireland and the UK for at least the last 10 years, I'm impressed that the overall down time is remarkably low.

That's the beauty of cable broadband. Plug it in and it just.. works. This is why I wouldn't touch ADSL - ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Yep NTL broadband connection was very bad last night out the Dunmore Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Yep NTL broadband connection was very bad last night out the Dunmore Rd.

Michael Jacksons death broke the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scotchie

I'm on O' Connell St, on 10mb . no probs at all over the last few weeks. Maybe the breaking news about Wacko JAcko last night caused speed problems :)

504250315.png

JPA wrote: »
    Michael Jacksons death broke the internet.

Actually, did you see the lightening last night?

benifa wrote: »
    Actually, did you see the lightening last night?

I did alright. Related? I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 496 ✭✭renraw

This is just rubbish speed! I'd expect this at 7 in the evening and not at 5 in the afternoon! 20 meg line and its barely at 5 :mad:

504415186.png

lads, for those who are slagging off upc and their speeds, you do know that websites like speednet and irishspeedtest are not as accurate as some would like us to think they are.

If you want to get a true indication of your actual speeds, try downloading a file from here and leave it run for a minute or two and take note of your transfer rate. That will give you a more accurate speed test.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    First off, how much p/m are you paying for the 3mb, because if I am not mistaken, the original 3mb was first off upgraded to 6mb and then that went to 10mb. I was originally on the 3mb package when their packages were 1mb,3mb, and 6mb, and I am now on the 10mb package, but I am on that since the 10mb was introduced. I think I have to fill out a form online to get the free upgrade to the 10mb, but this form also tied me into a new 12 month contract, but I think thats nearly up at this stage.

Sorry for the delay answering this Q.. I was waiting for the new bill!

I was on the 1mb connection and I upgraded it to the 3mb ages ago.

I'm paying €22 a month for the 3mb.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay answering this Q.. I was waiting for the new bill!

I was on the 1mb connection and I upgraded it to the 3mb ages ago.

I'm paying €22 a month for the 3mb.

Well you are on the correct package ok, the 10mb is €32 and 20mb is €42

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well you are on the correct package ok, the 10mb is €32 and 20mb is €42

I think I'm gonna go to Sky anyway. For my €100 a month I'm giving to UPC, friends of mine are getting a lot more for their money.

I rarely if ever get the 3meg speed anyway.

510612672.png

Do you Sky do broadband in Ireland now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I think I'm gonna go to Sky anyway.
    If you go to Sky then who would you get your broadband from? As far as I know Sky dont offer broadband to Rep Of Ireland customers. Last I heard was the following from someones blog....
    Although sky offer a broadband service to its customers in the UK, there is no such service in Ireland. Many people have blamed ComReg, the government and Eircom for the absence of Sky broadband who currently offer speeds of upto 16Mb to its customers in the UK.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but if Sky started offering Broadband there would be a lot of chatter and HUGE migration from UPC(NTL/Chorus).
    Agree with you here buddy. Some load of crap. At least it is better than the placebo mobile phone internet, that is the biggest internet broadband con of them all. It's only good for reading emails when it works!!!!!.

I think I'm gonna go to Sky anyway. For my €100 a month I'm giving to UPC, friends of mine are getting a lot more for their money.

510612672.png

Have you complained? Because things can be fixed, with some minor tweaks by an engineer.

JPA wrote: »
    Have you complained? Because things can be fixed, with some minor tweaks by an engineer.

For ages I was getting less than 1mb and it took me CCing a mail to the director of consumer affairs to have it fixed. I suspect its a contention problem because it usually hovers around 2.5megs and drops off to 2ish when you'd expect the pipe to be busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Do you always use the same server for checking your speed? I find with the Irish servers I get crap results.

511569275.png511569725.png
    511570122.png

511567739.png511570521.png

Sorry for the image spam but just wanted to compare 3 Irish and then London and Paris. As you can see the 2 latter are spot on my speed. also pinging better to london then anywhere here :D

Even tho the Irish tests are showing lower speeds, any time I go to download I always get full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dromineer

renraw wrote: »
    Im in the city centre on their 20 meg line and download is at a miserable 3.48 and iv just received a bill for €103... Thats just ridiculous

498610293.png

bit better today

499313152.png
    Be thankful you got those speeds.. am from teh city center, ad using the same package, and my speed aret anywhere near 1MB

I have tested other servers; checked my ping time with various places and it is desprate... UPC promised that i can game extremely well with their internet. Pff... please! So not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

10Meg line at 09:15. John's Hill area. Thankfully it was fast enough for me to get my Pixies tix at 9 :) but a serious slowdown in the last few weeks :(

518490115.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

Anyone else lost their broadband connection out the dunmore road for the last 2 days?

When I rang the last 2 nights to complain I was told they were closed and to ring during normal office hours. OR go to their website :rolleyes:
    How the hell can I go to their website when I had no internet connection.
    Clowns.

I'm sending this from work.

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problem out the dunmore rd?
    I'm in ardkeen village.

Advertisement