Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Performance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

O dear, I've used this service happily for several years and have been quite happy with it, until around a month ago when we started having regular downtime.

I'd be close to Ardkeen village and it was down last night and this morning but is sort of OK since lunch time. They keep waffling on about noise on the line which was acceptable a month ago but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

I've lost their service for the whole day, yesterday.
    Rang them - "we are aware of the problem and dealing with it".
    Finally it was fixed by 12 today.

City Centre location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nyquist

I got a phone call at lunch time asking me to test it and I told them I couldnt because I'm working. They are going to ring me back at 7pm when I get home. I assume it is now fixed since you guys have experienced similiar issue and its now resolved.

The guy I was chatting to on the phone this morning was telling me there was a major fault in ferrybank and that I was on the same broadband line!!!!
    He said engineers were fixing it this morning.
    I told him I live at the other side of the river at another side of the city and he said 'oh'
    Its mad that something in ferrybank can affect me out the dunmore rd area.

Thanks for your feedback. It helps when talking to the UPC helpdesk people who make it out I am the only person who is experiencing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mine went down yesterday for an hour or less and the same today, in Ardkeen village.
    I know the internet went down in ferrybank last night but that was DSL not cable so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Mine went last night and again this morning. When it went last night I was told it was definitely not an area problem just something was broken at my end and that Wednesday the 5th August would be the earliest they could get someone out to me. Amazing how their service improves when you tell them to make sure their engineer brings a big enough ladder 'to take every piece of NTL sh*te off the house' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

DNS is mess up in the last hour, looks like it I am connect to old cached DNS cause I can get to some websites but not all websites.

I tried restarting modem but it makes no difference.
    I also tried "ipconfig /flushdns" but didnt make a difference.

I'm getting loads of "Page Load Errors" in Firexfox (aka Page Not Found in IE)

Here is a few I tried that are not working for me in the last hour:
    http://www.facebook.com
    http://www.digg.com
    https://www.opendns.com/start/

BFG, I'm getting the same thing.
    Page not Found - Connection Timeouts.

Must be a DNS issue cause I can get onto some sites like boards.ie, gmail and look at the news websites (rte, bbc etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Exact same here. Photobucket is also down.

having msn connection issues too - however, meebo works fine.

edit:
    Livejournal, steam and deviant art also down..nothing important gone yet then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Tellox wrote: »
    Exact same here. Photobucket is also down.

having msn connection issues too - however, meebo works fine.

edit:
    Livejournal, steam and deviant art also down..nothing important gone yet then.

xbox live is down for me including what you have said... I think we actually have to go asleep now :eek:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ow2h7nft1me9i4

Definetly DNS issues.
    Happened to me last night from about 1.45am-ish until at least 4am.
    Couldnt access most websites, msn etc. But was able to access google, youtube,ftp.
    Also happened a couple of times last week.
    Very annoying. :(

• Advertisement

Definetly DNS issues.
    Happened to me last night from about 1.45am-ish until at least 4am.
    Couldnt access most websites, msn etc. But was able to access google, youtube,ftp.
    Also happened a couple of times last week.
    Very annoying. :(
    I agree it is very annoying. It stopped me doing some work I needed to do late last night.
    It is good to know others have experienced the same problem. At least now when I report the issue to NTL I can tell them this has happened before and to other users here in waterford and they wont get me wasting time turning on and off the modem and asking me does that work.

Its gone again for me tonight..

Also gone on me tonight since about 15 minutes ago. Absolutly rediculous :(
    Ntl will be gettin a call 2moro. Although I found them useless the last time I rang them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

same here no msn and no xbox live or ps3 home :(,its happening a lot lately aswell

It's happening way too much to be acceptable :(

same here no msn and no xbox live or ps3 home :(,its happening a lot lately aswell

I feel your pain.. no xbox live for me either :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well I'm finding a lot of things not working. My radio can't get 2fm, south east radio or today fm. My car dropped 2fm tonight also. My tv isn't showing any irish channels and our server is down! Maybe UPC is just another problem!

Im back in business now anyway...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Same time as our server lol. Bizzare night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

dazftw wrote: »
    Im back in business now anyway...

Deadly :)

• Advertisement

And here we go again.......
    this time i have to use o2 boradband, boards wont load with upc either.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

just happened to me for bout last 20 min.spent bout 5 min unplugging and plugging ****e back in and messing around with settings. Would nearly get rid of the bloody thing.Paying nearly 130 every 2 months for 20mb connection that keeps disconnecting.
    Anyone know of any better providers bar eircom that give unlimited downloads and a high download speed thats cheaper?

DNS messed up again with NTL (UPC) just there in the last 10 mins.
    I can't get to Facebook or a few other websites.

Very annoying :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I blame the Russians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Gerry Conlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

benifa wrote: »
    Gerry Conlon.

You can't blame Conlon for poor broadband performance:D

Back on topic, on monday and tuesday around 6.30pm my broadband went down for about half an hour, then came back. Maybe they are upgrading??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Given that this is a UPC problem, I haven't tried staying in the loop. Is this related to the attacks on Eircom's DNS servers last month? Is there a group targeting Irish ISPs?

AdMMM wrote: »
    Given that this is a UPC problem, I haven't tried staying in the loop. Is this related to the attacks on Eircom's DNS servers last month? Is there a group targeting Irish ISPs?

Wondered that myself, but cant say I heard much from the other ISPs. UPC seem to frequently have issues in Waterford judging by the frequency of these threads!

Getting sick of this. NTL/UPC DNS Servers acting up again. I can only get to a few irish websites - rte.ie, boards.ie, wit.ie etc
    Can't access gmail, facebook etc.

UPC should have a 24 hour broadband customer care, its ridiculous that a 24 hour service does have a 24 hour customer care line to ring when there is a problem.

I'm out the dunmore rd part of the city.
    I wonder if it is city wide, region wide or nation wide problem with the DNS Servers.

• Advertisement

FYI,
    its working again now. Don't mean to be a boy who crys wolf or anything but it was gone for a good 20 mins when I first logged in before I tried boards.ie and posted here. I dunno how long before that it was out as I just turned on the PC in the last 30 mins.

I think this thread is handy as it will allow others to track if it happens much and then if they get talking to a NTL/UPC customer care agent they can use the info posted here to back up there problem if similar.

nyquist

UPDATE: Spoke too soon, it's gone again. So much for reading and replying to emails. Good night.

Advertisement