Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Questions and Answers Session with Mark Little about Events in Iran

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,845 ✭✭✭SeanW

I have a few questions about what's going on over there: I've heard reports that the religious paramilitary (the Basij) have started throwing acid in the faces of the protesters - is this true and just how brutal has the crackdown been?

Is there a potential for a Tienanment Square Massacre?

Is it possible that Ahmedinejad won those elections fairly? What makes the opposition, and opposition supporters, so sure that the election was rigged?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭stevedublin

You know, I can see why it would seem this is a distant drama but believe me, this proud nation of 70 million people, inheritors to the Persian empire of the past, in the most sensitive region on earth, with a huge position of influence in the Muslim world, on the verge of being a nuclear power, with an historical rivalry to the United States and with access to vast natural resources on which we in the West depend .... I don't know, take your pick of reasons why this is the most important story in the world right now. Put simply, everything from the price of the petrol you put in your car to the future shape of the world your grandkid inherits will be determined - at least in part - by what is happening right now in Iran.

It seems that the main difference between Khameni and Rafsanjani is that Kameni has a white beard and a black turban, while Rafsanjani has a black turban and a gray beard. Also, Rafsanjani is supposedly less extremely right-wing than Khameni. However, if Rafsanjani were in power Iran would probably continue its nuclear weapons programme, but would be a little more subtle and clever in hiding it.
    So, as far I'm concerned its a case of a clash between the Liberation Front of Judea and the Judean Liberation Front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Whats the position of the regular army in all of this?

We have religious police/militia being used to terrorise people on the streets. Whats the position of the Generals as they have been quiet?

Is there a precedent in that in Romania in 1989, the regular army turned their guns on the Securitate(militia) in order to defend the population, can the same happen in Iran?

Advertisement