Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

suggestion for a photo challenge....

• 17-06-2009 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

no idea how interested people would be in this but I think it would be an opportunity to flex those creative muscles :)

I notice a lot of th echallenges are based on photo techniques/mechanics so I'm not sure how well received this suggestion would be.

suggested challenge:

Movies as photos.

take the title/tagline of a movie and take a real life photo (no photoshopping) that you think best matches the image evoked by the movie title. Stranger and more imaginative the better:

eg: one flew over the cuckoos nest - picture of a bird flying over a nest....
    Citizen Kane , perhaps a picture of a rosebud ?
    Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind..

etc etc.

ok, crap examples, I'll post something better later :). what do you think? would there be interest in a challenge based on this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Male genitalia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Ass wrote: »
    Male genitalia.

^^ not my kind of film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Female genitalia and its relationship with voyeurism.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

@LoLth

Why not try win the current assignment then you get to post your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

@LoLth

+1.
    & My entry for the shadows challenge is based on a film....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

@LoLth

ahah, ahah, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa! sorry, /wipes tear from eye....

If you've ever seen what happens when I take a photo you'd understand :)

Hence the suggestion for a challenge and not a "can you do better" ? also, I didnt read anythign in the rules about having to win a challenge before you can actually amke a suggestion. if there is such a rule then you have my humblest apologies.

@ass : dont troll a mod in his own category. bad things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I think it's a great idea. though I really don't have an imagination... But I would definitly try:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

LoLth wrote: »
    ahah, ahah, ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa! sorry, /wipes tear from eye....

If you've ever seen what happens when I take a photo you'd understand :)

Hence the suggestion for a challenge and not a "can you do better" ? also, I didnt read anythign in the rules about having to win a challenge before you can actually amke a suggestion. if there is such a rule then you have my humblest apologies.

@ass : dont troll a mod in his own category. bad things happen.

PMSL :D

LoLth - as part of the assignment T&C, you find the following line:

*Next task/subject to be choosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).
    But hey, be my guest ;)
    HTH

BTW - we're actually an assignment short, still waiting on ThOnda to set the task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

What an excellent idea - I will be happy to give up my turn. I'll wait for next week ;)

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »

*Next task/subject to be choosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post ).

honestly didnt see that line :) humble apologies in order so :)

anyway, as i said, it was just a sugestion. I have no intentions of entering a challenge (well, maybe someday but not in the foreseeable future) and definitely no intention of taking someone else's place.

ThOnda wrote: »
    What an excellent idea - I will be happy to give up my turn. I'll wait for next week ;)

If this is the next challenge, i'm off to throw a load of dogs in a reservoir with my camera at the ready! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Crispin wrote: »
    If this is the next challenge, i'm off to throw a load of dogs in a reservoir with my camera at the ready! ;)

Sex and the City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

@LoLth

+1.
    & My entry for the shadows challenge is based on a film....
    mrmac wrote: »
    PMSL :D

But hey, be my guest ;)
    HTH

Point of order - Sorry but ye are all wrong :p (I may live to regret this assertion :rolleyes:)

Going back to when God was a gossen (or about 6 months ago), Challenges were/are the original of the species and usually run for a longer period of time. Submissions were uploaded to Darren's coppermine setup and a voting thread was setup after a predetermined time. The challenge had a winner based on no one seeing each others entries until they saw everyones entries. We haven't had one in a while though in fairness.

The assignments then came from the idea of newbies (IIRC) having a format to learn through short assignments. It has obviously become quite popular and the newbies have grown into more experienced people and were joined by more established users who wouldn't let the newb have all the fun. i.e. it has been quite a success.

So were still open for a challenge as well as the assignment running at the same time if people are up for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Here, here!

The challenges were pre camera ownership for me so I never got to take part. As a newbie to the photography forum and photography in general, I've really enjoyed the assignments (even won one - chuffed :)) and the more the merrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Samuisue

I second that :D

AnCatDubh wrote: »

So were still open for a challenge as well as the assignment running at the same time if people are up for it.

So LoLth just needs to pick a film title & a deadline and we are good to go then? Cool, it sounds fun to me!

Whats the story with uploading stuff, can we not just use a Pix.ie group maybe to add entries? Be easier for most??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

So LoLth just needs to pick a film title & a deadline and we are good to go then? Cool, it sounds fun to me!

Whats the story with uploading stuff, can we not just use a Pix.ie group maybe to add entries? Be easier for most??:confused:

Re: Uploading - DarrenG usually helps out here. If you upload to pix.ie or flickr then entries are available immediately once uploaded. If Darren can help out as before then people submit and images are held under wraps until all entries are in. This angle on it makes it a bit more of an event when the voting goes live. It's straight forward enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Also as much as we venerate our benign overlord, lolth :):):) I don't think we need a film title picked for us!

Surely this challenge allows the latitude to the individual photographer to choose and interpret whatever film title they like.

• Advertisement

dakar wrote: »
    Also as much as we venerate our benign overlord, lolth :):):) I don't think we need a film title picked for us!

Surely this challenge allows the latitude to the individual photographer to choose and interpret whatever film title they like.

apart from the made up benign bit, you're absolutely right :)

My original idea was that a photographer would pick a movie and (despite my lame examples) come up with a picture subject/composition that best captures a movie of their own choosing. (though I have to say, if crispin manages to pull off his jaws one he's already got my vote :D ).

as i said, i'm not looking to take part, or even organise this. I just had an idea i thought you photo-buffs would find interesting and thought I'd share it.

That's a great idea - but how about a small limiting factor?

A composition based on inspiration/interpretation of the "Best 250 Movies Of All Time!"

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

You don't have to agree with the list - but there should be something to suit everyone.

Although, something this challenging might require some extra time?

LoLth wrote: »
    apart from the made up benign bit, you're absolutely right :)

My original idea was that a photographer would pick a movie and (despite my lame examples) come up with a picture subject/composition that best captures a movie of their own choosing. (though I have to say, if crispin manages to pull off his jaws one he's already got my vote :D ).

as i said, i'm not looking to take part, or even organise this. I just had an idea i thought you photo-buffs would find interesting and thought I'd share it.

Just for the sake of keeping this idea going, what say we start with Jaws, is anyone happy to sort out a place to upload? we need a deadline and some rules i guess. A shame to let LoLth's idea die :)

Advertisement