Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tv character freaked you out as a kid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I just realised that the 3 things that scared the living sh**te out of me as a child involved decapitation.

Princess Mombi from Return to Oz waking up headless and chasing Dorothy through a room full of shrieking heads, Worzel Gummidge swapping his dirty head for a clean one, and this rotten little scumbag....

Apparently the E.S.B ad with The Platters' Only You where the Daddy gets up to feed the baby at 4am used to make me lie on the sitting room floor bawling crying too, my Mum used to have to run over and switch it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Jesus, that clip is freaking me out now. What's up with his eyes? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

No Idea, but that song has been stuck in my head for over 20 years. Everyone I mentioned it to thought I was absolutely insane - it was definitely shown on RTE on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons in the late 80s or early 90s. Leslie Ash was in it as a little girl, her and her brother used to carry Chico's head round in a box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

No Idea, but that song has been stuck in my head for over 20 years. Everyone I mentioned it to thought I was absolutely insane - it was definitely shown on RTE on either Saturday or Sunday afternoons in the late 80s or early 90s. Leslie Ash was in it as a little girl, her and her brother used to carry Chico's head round in a box.

Haha, yes! Along with Rimini Riddle, nobody I mention Chico to (apart from my siblings) has the faintest idea what I'm on about. Did they sew him inside a football and kick him around during a game at some point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hillbilly999

The Joker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

piby wrote: »
    Not so much a character but Robert Stack from Unsolved Mysteries! To be honest it was the combination of his ice cold voice and the most unsettling theme music ever used on television!! Still scares the **** out of me :o

This for me too, and it was also the combination of the trenchcoat and the stepping out of dark alleys to launch into tales of how some person went to the shops and disappeared, never to be seen again that scared the bejesus out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

When David Banner used to transform into the Hulk used to really freak me out as a kid, had to go hide behind settee till he had changed. Then back to watching the rest of the show.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The Incredible Hulk used to put me in fits of tears when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I used to find the Oompa Loompas from Willie Wonka
    quite disturbing (still do).
    Danny Glick from Salems Lot gave me some nasty dreams as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

A bit OT, but does anyone remember a cartoon about a stray pup/ 2 stray pups, whose mother got shot by some nasty people? The whole cartoon was about the pups adventure of survival. They used to show it in school, all the girls would be openly bawling their eyes out, and the boys would be fighting back the tears. Cruel baxtards! It was around 1987/88

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

All the baddies from Terrahawks really freaked me out:

Zelda
    Cystar
    Yungstar

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

I'd have to say "Darby o Gill and the little people" scared the bejaysus out of me when I was rugrat.
    Headless horseman and freaky leprechauns left me a quivering mess,thanks alot Disney!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The only time I ever hid behind a couch was when the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man appeared. He was a lot scarier in the movie than in the cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Wurzel Gummidge..........:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The Incredible Hulk scared the tar out of me as a child and as a consequence so did this ad. I'll never forget the first time seeing it and yer mans shirt ripping and when he smashes the table in slow motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The 1970/80s Cybermen used to put the fear of God into me when I was a kid. Always been a big fan of the earlier Doctor Who series made on zero budget and the Cybermen before they morphed into generic androids about as scary as C-3PO. :(

Cyberman.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Around the mid 80s RTE broadcast a kids tv series shot in Australia called The Nargun And The Stars. A weird fantasy based on aboriginal folklore I think. Anyway there was a character in it called the Potkorook. A green creature that lived in a swamp and spoke very good English!
    I was certain when I went to bed every night he was lying in wait under the bedside shelf in my room.
    Here's the only clip I could find of the series and luckily there's a bit with him talking. Seeing it now it looks a bit sh1t but it's 40 yrs since it was shot.
    https://youtu.be/PCHGgzV35lE

Around the mid 80s RTE broadcast a kids tv series shot in Australia called The Nargun And The Stars. A weird fantasy based on aboriginal folklore I think. Anyway there was a character in it called the Potkorook. A green creature that lived in a swamp and spoke very good English!
    I was certain when I went to bed every night he was lying in wait under the bedside shelf in my room.
    Here's the only clip I could find of the series and luckily there's a bit with him talking. Seeing it now it looks a bit sh1t but it's 40 yrs since it was shot.
    https://youtu.be/PCHGgzV35lE

I remember that too. There was a bracky pool of water in a wooded area near our house where I used to play and I remember being scared that he was going to appear out of the water, a bit like the way people talk about being afraid of going swimming after seeing Jaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Remember the scene is Superman III when the evil woman gets sucked into the super computer and gets turned into a robot?

OMG... That scene used to give me nightmares as a kid. I had to run out of the room every time that scene came on the TV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

E.T. used to terrify me. I'd think he'd be hiding in my teddies, behind my curtains, looking all grey and gross like when he was sick.

He was my first boogeyman.

• Advertisement

beans wrote: »
    E.T. used to terrify me. I'd think he'd be hiding in my teddies, behind my curtains, looking all grey and gross like when he was sick.

He was my first boogeyman.

I remember sometime before the film was released I came upon a colour full page picture of him in one of the Sunday papers, I hadn't heard of of the film yet at this stage and I remember recoiling at the sight of him. I thought for a moment he was some kind of horribly deformed child.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

The giants or whatever they were supposed to be in Fraggle Rock. Especially the one called Junior because of his freaky looking staring eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Giggernaut wrote: »
    I'd have to say "Darby o Gill and the little people" scared the bejaysus out of me when I was rugrat.
    Headless horseman and freaky leprechauns left me a quivering mess,thanks alot Disney!

Freaked me out as well. :)

I was talking about that film the other day and only realised it was Sean Connery who played Micheal.

Oh and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory scared me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not kids programmes, but those ads for safety warnings in a workplace, such as a man getting electrocuted; they used to make me cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

branie2 wrote: »
    Not kids programmes, but those ads for safety warnings in a workplace, such as a man getting electrocuted; they used to make me cry.
    Or the old ad where the little boy climbs a pylon to get a football or frisbee down and gets zapped :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The witch in Disneys Sleeping Beauty. I had nightmare for months. I still rate it as one of the scariest movies of all times for young kids

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Kinder egg humpty dumpty man. Wasn't scared of him as such but did find him kind of unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Anjelica Huston in The Witches and when Pinnochio starts turning into a donkey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Jafar of Alladin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Zelda and Cystar from Terrahawks, I wasn't even that young either, just scary models! I didn't like Worzel Gummidge either, and lastly the Skeksis from The Dark Crystal.
    I shudder to remember any of them.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement