Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Check your Tesco receipt

Options
  • 17-06-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Had to get this off my chest,

Last week after checking my Tesco receipt, I noticed that my 2 litres of milk had been scanned in three times and then the checkout operator voided one of them - ok, so she spotted it and I only ended up paying for the 2 that I had in my shopping..

Still, it had me thinking.

Last night, I had packed up my shopping but checked the receipt before leaving the store. I noticed that a 12 pack of toilet roll that was displayed for E6.49 was on my receipt for E10.79! Had to go back to checkout and get someone to look on the shelf to confirm. Got the money refunded. No apology though...wonder if they've rectified it - product was scanning in as another variety in the range.

Anyhow, got home and checked receipt again - juice drink that cost E2.60 was scanned in twice when I only bought one product.

Grrr!!! Will be checking receipt again next week before leaving shop and would advise everyone else to. Will also tell manager to get staff to be more careful with scanning - imagine if they're adding E2.00 on to everyone's bill by this error - that's quite a bit of extra revenue for Tesco every day...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Had to get this off my chest,

Last week after checking my Tesco receipt, I noticed that my 2 litres of milk had been scanned in three times and then the checkout operator voided one of them - ok, so she spotted it and I only ended up paying for the 2 that I had in my shopping..

Still, it had me thinking.

Last night, I had packed up my shopping but checked the receipt before leaving the store. I noticed that a 12 pack of toilet roll that was displayed for E6.49 was on my receipt for E10.79! Had to go back to checkout and get someone to look on the shelf to confirm. Got the money refunded. No apology though...wonder if they've rectified it - product was scanning in as another variety in the range.

Anyhow, got home and checked receipt again - juice drink that cost E2.60 was scanned in twice when I only bought one product.

Grrr!!! Will be checking receipt again next week before leaving shop and would advise everyone else to. Will also tell manager to get staff to be more careful with scanning - imagine if they're adding E2.00 on to everyone's bill by this error - that's quite a bit of extra revenue for Tesco every day...
    so much for them reducing prices when they simply claw it back like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

I think they if you're charged the wrong price at the till to what it says on the shelf, not only should you be refunded the WHOLE amount, but you should be allowed keep the item for free.

Their official line ""In the unlikely event you are charged a higher price than on the shelf or the product we will refund your money and you can keep the product."

Its happened to me a few times, so I always check my receipt before I leave. Even if I just have a quick glance at it in the car before I leave the car park...its definitely worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

In my experience my local dunnes branch in d15 are the worst for this. Every time I go there I either have items scanned twice, items with the wrong price etc. Even though I might only have ten or fifteen items in my basket. they also have a great policy (for them) that lets say I have something that should cost €2.99 and they scan it at €3.99, if I go and complain you only get the difference back, rather than getting the item free - in other words there is no real incentive for the store to ensure their prices are correct as they don't loose out if they are caught overcharging. Compare this to Superquinn, where they apologise profusely and give you the item free if there is a mistake and they overcharge you!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I dont thin this would be just tesco, I would say this happens in all stores.

I always check my receipt, not just to make sure that I have been charged for extra goods, but also to make sure that I'm getting it at the right price.

Tesco was doing this thing, not sure if its still going on, but if you were charged the wrong price for an item, you got your cash back and the item for free. My dad got a box of mixed nuts out of this.

Its not advertised much, if at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

There have been 2 occasions recently where I have come up to the self-service counter (because they were the only ones open after 12am) with a trolly full of food. So I'm on my own and a member of staff comes over insisting that they help by by scanning the items through for me while I bag them.
    When I got home I scanned through the receipt I noticed I had been charged twice for an item I had only bought one of.
    This happened on two occasions, within 3weeks of each other i think. henceforth I say no thanks to their help.
    Each time it was only a 2-3euro item but still as they say - every little helps - them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 julesishere

Yeah, she actually refunded me the full price of the toilet roll, I thought she would just give me the difference.

Wasn't quite sure if this was the policy or some kind of mistake but at that stage (10.30 last night on my way home) I just wanted to get out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Stuff scanned twice by accident is usually recitified by the end of the transaction, or if not, easy to fix at the customer service desk. Price differences are not the cashier's fault, somebody at a checkout is not going to know promotional deals on the floor. Of course you should be vigilant that items are scanned correctly at the correct price but no need to be vicious about it, retail is miserable enough these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Arciphel wrote: »
    In my experience my local dunnes branch in d15 are the worst for this. Every time I go there I either have items scanned twice, items with the wrong price etc. Even though I might only have ten or fifteen items in my basket. they also have a great policy (for them) that lets say I have something that should cost €2.99 and they scan it at €3.99, if I go and complain you only get the difference back, rather than getting the item free - in other words there is no real incentive for the store to ensure their prices are correct as they don't loose out if they are caught overcharging. Compare this to Superquinn, where they apologise profusely and give you the item free if there is a mistake and they overcharge you!:)
    I must agree that Dunnes are by far the worst for this. And when challenged they don't care. You only get the difference back.
    You need to watch them like a hawk and challenge them immediately, don't wait for them to finish scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Unlike Tesco, Dunnes have a massive drapery and textiles range, which I'd imagine is stopping them implementing a 'get it free' policy. Not that they would anyway, in these times. Most sales assistants would probably apologise out of politeness, but it's not their fault, they didn't set the price, no need to harp on about it to the people at the bottom of the power structure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

seaner wrote: »

Their official line ""In the unlikely event you are charged a higher price than on the shelf or the product we will refund your money and you can keep the product."

In my experience of this , (happened 3 times on differnt things recently) the staff have tried to refund me the difference, until i reminded them of their policy, and they called over a manager.

Makes you wonder if the policy is actually only in place if the customer knows about it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

calex71 wrote: »
    In my experience of this , (happened 3 times on differnt things recently) the staff have tried to refund me the difference, until i reminded them of their policy, and they called over a manager.

Makes you wonder if the policy is actually only in place if the customer knows about it ;)

Well... it fits in with the refund thing not being advertised

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

In fairness, it's not just Tesco. We recently had a thread here about repeated pricing errors, as experienced by posters, in Super Valu.

The motto of the story is to ALWAYS check your receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's really hard to scan something twice with Tesco tills if you try to scan the same item straight after the first one the scanner won't work you have to wait for a second then scan it.

Was it scanned twice: orange juice
    orange juice

or did it say : qty 2 and orange juice?

Maybe the cashier thought two similar items were the same item and typed qty 2 first.

If a cashier has more than 2 scanning errors in a week questions would be asked and they could find themselves in trouble.

A record is kept of all 'no quibble refunds' and the person charged with replacing the SEls is held accountable. Every day there could be 300 price changes to be printed off and put up around the store, if they are not completed before the end of the shift then a record must be made for legal reasons and the workload must be completed by some else. Also if an item is packed in front of the wrong price sign than the person responsible for that is reprimanded.

wmpdd3 wrote: »

A record is kept of all 'no quibble refunds' and the person charged with replacing the SEls is held accountable. Every day there could be 300 price changes to be printed off and put up around the store, if they are not completed before the end of the shift then a record must be made for legal reasons and the workload must be completed by some else. Also if an item is packed in front of the wrong price sign than the person responsible for that is reprimanded.

I'd hate to be the person who had to explain this :eek: took recently in Drogheda
    14E1C9330EF344DEAFBD0716E7EDA678-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

The rule in Tesco's is, if its one price on the shelf and another at the till, you get it for free. That is a sign that is in all stores. Yes they screw up a good bit so its a handy:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Except they have banned people form their stores for claiming this too often.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The rule in Tesco's is, if its one price on the shelf and another at the till, you get it for free. That is a sign that is in all stores. Yes they screw up a good bit so its a handy:D:D:D

I know the last time it was over €30 of free booze for me on 4 bottles of wine :D

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Except they have banned people form their stores for claiming this too often.

Shame on them thats pretty bad :D

There has also been occasion were I went back and got another of the same product the next day and it was still mis-priced , that's hardly the customers fault.

I say TS tesco if they don't fix the price right away then it's open season :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

calex71 wrote: »
    I'd hate to be the person who had to explain this :eek: took recently in Drogheda
    14E1C9330EF344DEAFBD0716E7EDA678-800.jpg

Yeah it happened to about 30 items afaik, head office set the prices looks like someone got their decimal points mixed up. Pity they didn't move them to the left!

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yeah it happened to about 30 items afaik, head office set the prices looks like someone got their decimal points mixed up. Pity they didn't move them to the left!

well i saw that and had to 'buy' it :D girl at the till said 163.42 or some such , i said wtf !!!! manager now please. It's there to be exploited, also got a €20 voucher off them that time for the ' embarrassment ' caused lmfao.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

dudara wrote: »
    In fairness, it's not just Tesco. We recently had a thread here about repeated pricing errors, as experienced by posters, in Super Valu.

The motto of the story is to ALWAYS check your receipt.

+1

its a simple mistake to scan in something twice. as the comments abouve indicate it is not just a tesco problem.

busy stores with inexperienced and overworked staff are a recipe for mistakes. but in the current climate all sotes are trying to lower the wage bill, eg superquinn letting 400 go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Unlike Tesco, Dunnes have a massive drapery and textiles range, which I'd imagine is stopping them implementing a 'get it free' policy.
    My tescos sells clothes, PCs, plasmas etc. If you suspect something is priced wrong, scan it in the instore scanner and buy immediately!
    wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The rule in Tesco's is, if its one price on the shelf and another at the till, you get it for free. That is a sign that is in all stores.
    The sign is actually if you are charged more at the till. So if it is lower than advertised you get nothing, like those becks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've never seen those signs in my local Tesco. Must look out for them. I was charged an extra 30 cent for a yoghurt yesterday! Yer one just corrected the price but I didn't get it for free. :p

Most times I go to the self-service checkout to avoid the double-scanning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you have to buy the item first then go to customer service to get it free and shame on tescos for barring people for taking advantage of their staff's incompetance and their poor work practices

Advertisement