Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice given but no response from landlord or agent.

• 17-06-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

Due to circumstances i have to break my lease 4 months early. I gave 35 days written notice to the agent but heard nothing from them. 2 weeks later i wrote again confirming my intention to vacate. The notice period is up next tues and i will have moved out by then. I have still not have any contact from either the agent or the landlord. I would obviously like my deposit back but am willing to forfeit it as i am breaking the lease. Should i chase them up on this or just vacate on tues and return the keys. I have never had contact with the landlord- It's all been done thru the agent.

As an aside, the developer of the complex is a well know company and It's owner is named as my landlord on the lease, and the name on the account the rent goes into. The management agent's offices are the same address as the developer and the landlord.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

havana wrote: »
    Due to circumstances i have to break my lease 4 months early. I gave 35 days written notice to the agent but heard nothing from them. 2 weeks later i wrote again confirming my intention to vacate. The notice period is up next tues and i will have moved out by then. I have still not have any contact from either the agent or the landlord. I would obviously like my deposit back but am willing to forfeit it as i am breaking the lease. Should i chase them up on this or just vacate on tues and return the keys. I have never had contact with the landlord- It's all been done thru the agent.

As an aside, the developer of the complex is a well know company and It's owner is named as my landlord on the lease, and the name on the account the rent goes into. The management agent's offices are the same address as the developer and the landlord.

Thanks

Your notice period is irrelevent if you have a lease. You're liable for the remaining rent until the lease expires. The notice you have provided is only required where no lease is in place or you do not intend to renew the lease. The letting agent can insist you pay the remaining 4 months rent. Your deposit cannot be used as rent. You're in a sticky situation here. Just because you haven't heard from the Agent doesn't mean you can up and leave. You will probably need to try and get a replacement tenant to take it for the remaining months if possible. Have you called into the Agent's offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

My understanding having looked up Thresholds website is that i am still required to give written notice and the landlord, if he wishes to give me the option to sublet, should send me this in writing.

I will be moving out next week, i have no other option, but i don't intend to do a runner on them, as in i don't intend to fall off the face of the earth. I'm very aware of the fact i signed a lease, and would never normally consider breaking a contract i signed, and i did sign in good faith. I'm aware that they may insist i pay the remaining rent and if this happens i will deal with that. I have not called to the offices except to drop in the original written notice.

I suppose i'm just a bit stumped as to why there has been no contact from them! And what steps i should take next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

Ok i went back to threshold's site and had another look. Having read it i think the best thing to do is ring the agent tomorrow and take it from there. Thanks.

Advertisement