Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

satstheway wrote: »
    Just a quick question to the gunterers on here.3 Bay dry stock shed built to grant spec.
    I want to throw a hoist onto the roof rsj to lift off bags of meal of trailer. What weight will these rsj's support 6-7 feet from wall?

What span, size of RSJ, thickness of RSJ, proposed weight to be lifted, Existing roof load etc etc ..............................

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

stock> wrote: »
    What span, size of RSJ, thickness of RSJ, proposed weight to be lifted, Existing roof load etc etc ..............................

I will throw up a few specs of shed later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

You'd probably have to go with RSJ's with a deeper than normal web, min 11'' instead of 8''

Are you thinking of something like this?
    http://www.gohispeed.com/hoistcrane_products.asp?p=Cyclone+Trolley+Hand+Chain+Hoist+for+Low+Headroom&product=4832

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Just a quick question to the gunterers on here.3 Bay dry stock shed built to grant spec.
    I want to throw a hoist onto the roof rsj to lift off bags of meal of trailer. What weight will these rsj's support 6-7 feet from wall?

I wouldn't do that most are speced to take the roof weight and wind force. The extra weight of untold forces cannot be estimated

dzer2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do that most are speced to take the roof weight and wind force. The extra weight of untold forces cannot be estimated

But you still people hanging half ton bags on uprights for fertility spreader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

But you still people hanging half ton bags on uprights for fertility spreader

You could get a short jib made (6 foot long or so) and bolt and weld it to an RSJ upright. That would be long enough to allow you back a trailer underneath and allow you lift a bag with a chain hoist. Some bags of meal can hold up to 650k, so make sure you get at least a one ton hoist.

Girders are 8"×4"×8mm
    Span 25'
    Angle iron brace approx 4' out from upright.

I'd say it would take a fair load.

407005.jpg

What's the budget?

Drill and bolt a 25' x 12'' RSJ straight across from the nearest pillar on the left in photo, to the opposite pillar, put on a block and tackle like I linked to above. Weight will be going straight down both pillars.

Take a good load especially if you hoist from where the brace is.
    Something like this....
    https://www.donedeal.ie/plantmachinery-for-sale/2-ton-chain-hoist/14376431

blue5000 wrote: »
    What's the budget?

Drill and bolt a 25' x 12'' RSJ straight across from the nearest pillar on the left in photo, to the opposite pillar, put on a block and tackle like I linked to above. Weight will be going straight down both pillars.

Was hoping the budget was the hoist alone.
    That one Nek has up would be close to me.
    It would only be used couple times when I need the meal of trailer . Bag could even be half emptied first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Was hoping the budget was the hoist alone.
    That one Nek has up would be close to me.
    It would only be used couple times when I need the meal of trailer . Bag could even be half emptied first.

The block and tackle Nek linked would do the finest. Keep as close to the side as possible. Remember to have enough chain to drop the bag to the floor when you pull out the trailer. Also the chain/strap holding up the block and tackle must be rated more than the unit itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Have a mf880 loader hanging from the roof in the shed here.

If ya can get your hands on a pallet truck you can move the bags from the lift point after ya drop it

ganmo wrote: »
    Have a mf880 loader hanging from the roof in the shed here.

If ya can get your hands on a pallet truck you can move the bags from the lift point after ya drop it

Have made me think of a platform on large casters

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

What you need also is a beam clamp to fix to the rsj. Can be got for handy money. Just don't oversize the chainblock. 2 tonne will suffice as it will also act as safe load indicator and won't allow you to overhoad the beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

For anyone with just one tractor and loader, here is another option of handling bulk fertiliser bags in the second video in the link.

www.domusdistribution.com

It might be handier than welding a frame or that onto a rsj?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

josephsoap wrote: »
    For anyone with just one tractor and loader, here is another option of handling bulk fertiliser bags in the second video in the link.

www.domusdistribution.com

It might be handier than welding a frame or that onto a rsj?

Link didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

cjmc wrote: »
    Link didn't work

Oops hope this one works

http://domusdistribution.com

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I thought the mini digger on the trailer for driving the posts is a good idea, can't see the aluminium posts working too well round here though:)

30m spacing. Sure that has to be a crap fence! :D

(Well-intended government agencies recommend lots of fenceposts in their fencing specifications. Fifty-foot spacing on flat land is just too close. You want the fence to act like a rubber band. When something runs into the wire, you don't want to break all the insulators or knock posts out of the ground. If the posts are spread apart far enough -- say 80 to 100 feet -- the wire will just bend to the ground and pop back up)

This is from another country I know but here is have posts in paddocks about 30m apart and no problems. Great for topping.

Muckit they put 2 plastic droppers in between the posts to keep the wires apart, we have gone 27 yards apart here on a straight level run. Once there's power in it they're grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Muckit they put 2 plastic droppers in between the posts to keep the wires apart, we have gone 27 yards apart here on a straight level run. Once there's power in it they're grand.

Oh sure you are dead right. Was only joking. Go 20+ yards myself on single strand but you'd see plenty going only 10yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Its one way ov evening up the wear on the bar I suppose :D
    Not the worst idea I've seen with a chain saw in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Seen it before it is a good idea but could be safer if u had to put the log underneath on a rising table and use a foot pedal to push up the table. No chance of falling on or catching ur arm on it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,056 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Did kinda similar with a skill saw. , not for firewood tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Christening the new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Christening the new toy.

Wear gloves anyways .I got a few nasty pinches only doing a small bit of fencing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Christening the new toy.

Love stretching wire, great satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Wear gloves anyways .I got a few nasty pinches only doing a small bit of fencing

Bit late now!

Advertisement