Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Hadn't looked on Greendragon3's restoration thread since Christmas. Went over for a gawk and seems he not been on for a while. He is one skilled operator. Hope all is well with him. His work is top class.

He's still missing? That can't be good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Reggie. wrote: »
    He's still missing? That can't be good

Hopefully his brother is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hopefully his brother is OK.

I was thinking that too. Hopefully all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Peter90 wrote: »
    I found chadwicks in Galway city cheaper than Coens steel oranmore, length of 40x40x2.5mm box only €20 in chadwicks around €22 a length in coens, only bring chadwicks don't have same selection won't have the sheet steel

Went into Coens yesterday for a few lengths of 40x40x2.5 and it seems they don't want people walking in to buy stuff anymore and don't want orders less than €100 either.
    I'll be shopping elsewhere no matter what from now on because of that crap
    €72 for 3 lengths inc VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Bullocks wrote: »
    Went into Coens yesterday for a few lengths of 40x40x2.5 and it seems they don't want people walking in to buy stuff anymore and don't want orders less than €100 either.

What ressession? Always found coens a bit jumped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭MfMan

Really? Always found them sound enough to deal with - often they would have off-cuts that would suit as gate posts etc. Haven't been there in 6 months or more, maybe they're tightening up now and being more selective in letting stuff out. Pity. Is there anyone else around Galway that would have the range they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Peter90

kennedys in craughwell have a good selection, chadwicks have box, angle, some flat and some round tube and one or two rsjs

What ressession? Always found coens a bit jumped up.
    MfMan wrote: »
    Really? Always found them sound enough to deal with - often they would have off-cuts that would suit as gate posts etc. Haven't been there in 6 months or more, maybe they're tightening up now and being more selective in letting stuff out. Pity. Is there anyone else around Galway that would have the range they have?

I've had plenty of dealings with Coens and found them sound to deal with so
    I was surprised aswell with the way its was .
    They have a huge range of steel , I'd say Kennedy in Craughwell would be next with a good range

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Peter90

Correction to my post €18.50 a length 40x40x2.5 incl tax in chadwicks got 8 lengths today

Peter90 wrote: »
    Correction to my post €18.50 a length 40x40x2.5 incl tax in chadwicks got 8 lengths today

I feel robbed now , big difference there

• Advertisement

Bought 75x75 box with a 6mm wall today, 15.30 a metre plus vat.
    75x75 with a 3mm wall was 7.50 plus vat.
    Adds up very quickly.

Bought 75x75 box with a 6mm wall today, 15.30 a metre plus vat.
    75x75 with a 3mm wall was 7.50 plus vat.
    Adds up very quickly.

Heavy stuff Nek , whats the plan for stuff like that ?

Making some feeding barriers for ewes. The 6mm walled stuff is for the "foot" and the 3mm is for the up-rights. Each one is going to be 5 metres long, with crash barrier as the lower element where the silage will be, and a 4" pipe as the upper. These pipes were originally straight rails in a slatted house. (Before diagonal barriers were fitted)
    Will stick up a photo, easier than typing!

I really hate welding through galvanise. Somehow the fumes always seem attracted to the inside of the helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Watch the fumes off the galv. Got a dose of zinc fever after welding some box last yr. About 8 hrs later was shivering violently and frozen. Far worse than any flu. Not poisonous but you could be laid up for half a day if you get caught. A handheld shield might be a better option when welding galv steel. Outdoors if possible.

Making some feeding barriers for ewes. The 6mm walled stuff is for the "foot" and the 3mm is for the up-rights. Each one is going to be 5 metres long, with crash barrier as the lower element where the silage will be, and a 4" pipe as the upper. These pipes were originally straight rails in a slatted house. (Before diagonal barriers were fitted)
    Will stick up a photo, easier than typing!

I really hate welding through galvanise. Somehow the fumes always seem attracted to the inside of the helmet.
    Do thanks, the one I made was with the 2.5 thick and I thought it was plenty heavy but it was only 3.2 long.
    What height will your ewes be resting over to eat through, mine is. 300mm hopefully not too high

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Watch the fumes off the galv. Got a dose of zinc fever after welding some box last yr. About 8 hrs later was shivering violently and frozen. Far worse than any flu. Not poisonous but you could be laid up for half a day if you get caught. A handheld shield might be a better option when welding galv steel. Outdoors if possible.

Sorry to inform you but that was you getting poisoned.
    It doesn't have to kill you to be a poison
    https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=zinc+poisoning&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-nz&client=safari

Do thanks, the one I made was with the 2.5 thick and I thought it was plenty heavy but it was only 3.2 long.
    What height will your ewes be resting over to eat through, mine is. 300mm hopefully not too high

Well, those were the only thicknesses the local place had in stock, went with it.
    If they don't get bent with careless loader work, they'll see me out! :D
    The crash barrier is 300mm, plus the height of the leg underneath.
    Bedding will soon build up, raising the ewes height.

Gix2Wzg.jpg

4Rnj5rg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Sami23

Well, those were the only thicknesses the local place had in stock, went with it.

Gix2Wzg.jpg

4Rnj5rg.jpg

Do you mind me asking where you got the crash barriers and rough idea of price.
    Tia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Gix2Wzg.jpg

4Rnj5rg.jpg

They're very high for sheep if you want them to reach the ground.....the build up of bedding and the corrugations of the barrier will make it even harder

Probably should have notched the barrier and dropped it down a few inches.
    Barriers came from Johnston farm equipment in Longford. Got them 18 months ago. They were around 30 euro. They mainly come in 11 foot lenghts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Gix2Wzg.jpg

4Rnj5rg.jpg

Is there a steering pin gone on the international or is that full lock? Some job if it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Pint of milk will help counter act symptoms of zinc poisoning... better not to get it though plenty of ventilation

Splines on top of the kingpin gone. Replacement will have to come from USA or Canada if I want to keep it original.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You have some fleet of tractors Nek! Is that international 6 cylinder?

Thanks Nek , they will take a bit of belting from the loader ! Handy for using around a shed for lambing and easy take out for cleaning too

My less robust barrier! Hope to get it hung Saturday

Muckit wrote: »
    You have some fleet of tractors Nek! Is that international 6 cylinder?

Yep,6 cylinder. Rare enough old doll. Its a Farmall 966.
    I had to get a rear wheel centre casting after I bought it, and had to get it brought from Saskatchewan in Canada.

My less robust barrier! Hope to get it hung Saturday

That's a super job, Bullocks, factory quality.
    Very tidy workshop !

Yep,6 cylinder. Rare enough old doll. Its a Farmall 966.
    I had to get a rear wheel centre casting after I bought it, and had to get it brought from Saskatchewan in Canada.

I'd say original parts wont be cheap for her

• Advertisement

I'd say original parts wont be cheap for her

Common as dirt North America, but only 3 ever sold in Ireland.
    Every school bus in the USA (the old yellow ones you see in films) had that basic engine in them, and a multitude of other International trucks.

Advertisement