Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Is there not new rules that the trailer needs a chassis plate with rated load and all that jazz or are single axel car trailers exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I'm in a similar situation, it would be a nice project and i'll get plenty of use out of it.

Can i ask where you sourced your parts from? I looked into pricing it earlier this year and found axles pricey.

I bought the hitch, lights and mudguards from the local coop or tractor spares, and bought the suspension package in the link below from indespension in the U.K.
    Indespension Ireland don't seem to have the packages for sale online(at least they didn't then), so this worked out cheaper for me at the time.

http://www.indespension.co.uk/trailer-parts-packages-/1622-500kg-suspension-package.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Another patching job, to keep her going. Needs a proper rebuild by right.

BbM2G3X.jpg

BmswuHf.jpg

BZx8K9J.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭emaherx

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Probably...... But will it now?

The other side is nearly as bad, and at the back also. It's a good old thing to spread though, and owes me nothing.
    Must have it getting on for 20 years, and didn't buy it new either.

• Advertisement

The other side is nearly as bad, and at the back also. It's a good old thing to spread though, and owes me nothing.
    Must have it getting on for 20 years, and didn't buy it new either.

Sounds like most of our implements. Always keep a pile of random off cuts of metal for patching and bracing.

Nice vertical welds there.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

BbM2G3X.jpg

BmswuHf.jpg

BZx8K9J.jpg

Tidy job Nek, just out of curiosity.. did you weld it up when on the tractor? I always disconnect or worst case leave it running to protect the alternator. Something i.ve always done but am wondering why now!

Yeah welded it on the tractor. Modern alternator aren't affected by welding.
    That's not to say that if I had a modern yoke with ecu's and other electronics, there's no way I would chance frying something.

Learned my lesson about earthing with that Fiat tractor. Went to weld on a step that got broken putting up silage.
    Clamped the earth to a bolt on the gearbox beside the step, and welded it up perfectly.

Put everything away, could smell something funny but couldn't see anything.

Hopped up and started her, only to find I had no brakes. The cab being mounted on rubbers had no route to earth when I was welding only through the flexible brake lines between the master cylinder and the chassis, and melted them.

Had to order two new flexible pipes and a litre of Citroen's finest brake fluid. I think they were the big end of 80 punts at the time.

larthehar wrote: »
    Tidy job Nek, just out of curiosity.. did you weld it up when on the tractor? I always disconnect or worst case leave it running to protect the alternator. Something i.ve always done but am wondering why now!

Yes, I have killed an alternator in the past from welding. Ever since dismount the machine if possible or if I really need to weld on the vehicle leave it running. But like Nek don't have any ECU's to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have a dead man switch on both tractors here and always throw that off before welding. Think that cures the potential problems or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭mayota

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes, I have killed an alternator in the past from welding. Ever since dismount the machine if possible or if I really need to weld on the vehicle leave it running. But like Nek don't have any ECU's to worry about.

We would leave them running or just disconnect the battery.

Grueller wrote: »
    Have a dead man switch on both tractors here and always throw that off before welding. Think that cures the potential problems or am I wrong?

That protects your battery but not the alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I had a 24ft length of 4x4 galv box left after a job last yr. Decided to make a frame to mount the power washer and 2 plastic barrels on.
    Definitely went overkill with the size of frame considering its only carrying just over 400 litres of water. Got the ears for link pins off an old transport box that was scrapped in a ditch. New pto shaft 3Ms of suction hose and a intake screen this morning for €100. Length of box would be over €100 at a guess. Needs 3 legs for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,411 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No such thing as overkill

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

I had a 24ft length of 4x4 galv box left after a job last yr. Decided to make a frame to mount the power washer and 2 plastic barrels on.
    Definitely went overkill with the size of frame considering its only carrying just over 400 litres of water. Got the ears for link pins off an old transport box that was scrapped in a ditch. New pto shaft 3Ms of suction hose and a intake screen this morning for €100. Length of box would be over €100 at a guess. Needs 3 legs for parking.

grand job to be fair. Biggest problem will be that those barrels wont be full for long. Those power washers drink some amount of water quickly. My tap can be all out sometimes to keep up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Havent used molasses on silage in years but i have some silage bought in off old ground so i decided to get ibc full for it. Just threw ibc on loader and cracked open the tap and it spread the finest as i packed the silage.handiest way i ever did molasses on silage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

No bother on it flowing on a day like today!!

Make a treacle cake with the dregs :)

grand job to be fair. Biggest problem will be that those barrels wont be full for long. Those power washers drink some amount of water quickly. My tap can be all out sometimes to keep up

Its going to a farm washing a parlour tomorrow where there is only a 1/2" pipe feeding the parlour. Place is mank. IBC on a trailer would be a ideal solution.

That frame is ideal if you decided to weld a towing jaw to it. You could tow a browser of water behind.

That frame is ideal if you decided to weld a towing jaw to it. You could how a browser of water behind.

Thats in my head alright. A ball hitch. Just googled to see if an IBC would fit in a small car trailer i have. Yes. Now i must contact someone i know working in milk processing factory. Loads of them free to take away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Thats in my head alright. A ball hitch. Just googled to see if an IBC would fit in a small car trailer i have. Yes. Now i must contact someone i know working in milk processing factory. Loads of them free to take away.

you can get 1000L and a smaller 600l tank

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

I'm looking for one or two IBC's where can I get them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

SCOL wrote: »
    I'm looking for one or two IBC's where can I get them ?

Lots usually on done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Wasnt there someone here who made up there own concrete shutters using plywood and timber?
    Might have been foxy farmer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Wasnt there someone here who made up there own concrete shutters using plywood and timber?

I think it was Foxy alright but do I remember that it was as handy hire them , or better again get someone like foxy to shutter for you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think it was Foxy alright but do I remember that it was as handy hire them , or better again get someone like foxy to shutter for you

When we got the last bit of concrete poured here the lad with the shutters was quoting other jobs charging more for renting out the shutters than hiring him to do it because then he would be certain he'd get them back in good nick

Might be me alright. Posted pics on some thread a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a Honda petrol water pump. There are two 1" UNC plastic plugs on it that keep getting seized. I tried Vaseline on the thread. Also cleaned the threads with a thread tap.
    Any ideas?
    The plugs are meant to be only hand tightened on and off but need a wrench now to remove. The are removed each time to prime the pump.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

You can get this stuff on eBay. It's very good as it's designed for salt water marine applications.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/marine.htm

Advertisement